Jump cue tip prep

Weber

Registered
I just bought my first jump cue, and have been learning to use it. I have got it down pretty good, but I have a question about the tip.

Since I'm using a jump/break shaft, I know (or pretty sure) that I do not want to shape the tip like a my normal playing cue tip, but do I shape it all? Should I just scuff it so it takes chalk better?

I haven't scuffed or shaped it all, as I was unsure, and of course it doesn't take chalk very well as is.

Thanks for any help.

DanO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the tip is phenolic or G10, get a tip pic and rake across it leaving scratches to hold chalk. The round brass barrel ones with the steel spikes in the center. Really hit it like you are trying to knock it off to get the scratches. Serious. If it is leather, shape it with any normal tip tool.

RBC

Deceased
Most jump and/or break cue shafts will come with the type of tip that doesn't really need much maintenance. I'd recommend adjusting to it rather than trying to adjust it.

One thing I see quite often is players who aim too low on the cue ball. They often miss cue or don't get the cue ball up quickly.

Keep this in mind. A properly executed jump shot aims the center of the shaft at the center of the cue ball. The center of the cue ball is the actual center or core of the cue ball.

A properly aimed and struck jump shot can be achieved with a phenolic tip with no chalk!

Try it! if you miss cue, aim higher. If you trap the cue ball, aim lower. When you find the right spot the cue ball will jump with very little effort.

Royce

Weber

Registered
I've got the jumping down really good, just working on different situations to prepare better.

I just wasn't sure if I should give texture to the tip to chalk better, it looks like it needs it.

So, one guy says to scuff and one guy says not too, anyone else have input?

The cue us the McDermott NG05, using the stinger shaft with phenolic tip.

keepanionme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have that same model break cue. For me, the only thing I've had to do is change chalk. I had been given a batch of silver cup chalk when i bought my table. Once I threw it out and started using master chalk again, I've been able to put a good coat on the phenolic tip. I've not altered the shape of the tip nor have I scuffed it. Count me in for a no scuff.

Nine Miler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use the same McDermott break/jump cue as well, also with a phenolic tip. I haven't messed around with it. I can jump with it just fine. Sometimes I will use it full length on a longer jump, a jump over a half ball, or one that doesnt have to get up as quick, and its fine for that too. I can chalk it and run a rack, and get the same action as I do with my player. I don't think you need to mess with the tip.

ZeroSkylineX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey guys so I'm in a similar situation. I currently own a Predator Air II as my jump cue and I'm looking for some advice in regards to which tip is recommended.

Some background info: I rarely ever jump so I don't use the cue often, I'm not good at it either but I understand the concept and can achieve jumps (not as straight as I want it to). Maybe it's my lack of skill but I feel like I'm not comfortable with the phenolic tip on this jump cue. This cue came free with my BK3 break cue upon my purchase so please don't assume I bought $200 jump cue for a ridiculous reason.

When I bought my BK3, it came with phenolic tip and after a month or so of usage, I knew the tip wasn't for me. After some extensive reviews and research, I've settled down on the Samsara Hard leather tip to replace the phenolic tip on my break cue. Man this was a world's of a difference. Breaking with a phenolic tip felt like a slap to the object ball, whereas a hard leather tip felt like a good solid punch. My breaks were significantly better upon the tip change.

My question is, should I switch the phenolic tip on my jump cue with the Samsara tip as well? I was very happy with it on my break cue but I'm not sure how this will be on a jump cue. Your input is much appreciated!

shortstroker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hows the samsara hard for jumping? considering the n05 comes with the stinger shaft i use it for both breaking and jumping. will the samsara. decrease performance while jumping in relation to the phenolic?

ZeroSkylineX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hows the samsara hard for jumping? considering the n05 comes with the stinger shaft i use it for both breaking and jumping. will the samsara. decrease performance while jumping in relation to the phenolic?
I assume it would be better or based on preference since phenolic tips can not grab the ball but leather tips can. But considering the majority of the players use phenolic, I really have no idea.

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Tip

Use a slightly damp washcloth to clean off the tip.
Let it dry and chalk it up. If the climate is really dry and the chalk won't hold to the tip... Run you finger or palm of hand over the tip, the tip will grab a touch of your body oil and help the chalk stick to the tip.

Call me crazy, maybe it only worked for me....

Best of jumping'

Rob.M

ktrepal85

Banned
Leave the tip alone. No maintenance needed...ever! The reason it doesn't hold chalk well is because it's so flat. When you use an older piece of chalk the flat tip doesn't fit right in the deep concave chalk hole. Use a fresh piece of chalk and it will work much better. You also may need to turn the chalk on an angle and make sure you're applying chalk to the center of the tip. It's tricky but it's not that that hard. Just spend a little extra time chalking and you'll be good to go. Or you can even save a special piece of chalk for your jump stick only that is formed right.