Jump cues are not just for jump shots?

kanecalgary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is a video of a little shot I use with a jump cue to make it seem effortless.
I use to struggle with this shot, now it's a piece of cake! A lot of players struggle with the light touch. Using this technique you can really feel confident in not double hitting and not hitting it too hard with a little practice.
Now, just don't use it on me:thumbup:
Some people have a great touch with a playing cue, some do not. Give it a try, you will be impressed with how easy the jump cue makes it.
 
Last edited:
Ok i will have to try it. I do have a problem with safeties like that. Those shots are they safely shots. Or are they more like a lets see u do something with it shots. See who screws up first shot. We need a name for those shots. If there is one tell me what it is. I always say back at ya.. on that type of shot.
 
Interesting use of a jump cue. I actually saw a man on Tuesday practicing some similar shots with a jump cue. He was also using the jump cue to "play" shots that needed a soft touch. One shot in particular was an offset side pocket shot leaving tight shape for a corner shot that was blocked without riding the rail.

I don't use a jump cue and figured they were just for jumping and my break cue is a weighted down cheaper cue with a medium hard leather tip.

After seeing your video and the gentleman at the bar, I'm interested in giving one a try :)
 
That might work!

Thanks for the post..., this could help for the times when I have not been playing One Pocket and my touch is a little off, cool stuff.
 
I have used my jump cue this way many times. I think it's a great demonstration that one tool does not fit all applications. You can play an entire game of golf with a nine iron, but should you?


This brings me to a notion I have posted before....I have never seen a "complete" set of matching custom cues.
Break
Player
Jump
Masse
Long cue (maybe 62 inches?)

All matching.... I would like to have this set made someday.

That being said I have in fact played most of the time for almost 30 years with one cue. So of course that is till the "norm" I think.


.


.
 
Everyone I show this technique to is amazed how simple it is. A lot of players wont attempt this shot with the fear of a double hit or hitting it too hard. Everyone I've showed is doing this with no fear after 2 shots!
I play a lot of barbox 8 ball and this safety comes up often enough to have it in your bag of tricks. It can also be used in all other games as well.
Test it out, and you will see even closer shots are possible than in the video.
 
Good safety shot but you better have somebody watching the shots who knows how to spot a good hit.
 
Yeah, that's great! I sometimes use it when the cue ball is very close to the object ball in order to prevent a push stroke.
 
Back
Top