Jump Cues.....what's the best out there right now.

Average Joes

We recently did a full in-depth video review of the Stinger Jump & Break Cue by McDermott. As a break cue it's fairly average, but we found it to be a very capable jump cue and had a lot of fun testing it out! If of interest:

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We recently did a full in-depth video review of the Stinger Jump & Break Cue by McDermott. As a break cue it's fairly average, but we found it to be a very capable jump cue and had a lot of fun testing it out! If of interest:

For the money this is a good option.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
For the money this is a good option.

I played today and after watching Dr. Dave's video I did a lot better today than I ever have. I had a few close ones I didn't attempt. Not quite ready for those, but I got the ball up and over everything I jumped using an original Gulyassy Sledgehammer jump break.

It breaks ok, not stellar but ok. Jumps ok.

Cue Alchemist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got the j&j and upgraded to a white diamond tip. It jumps as good as any jump break I've tried.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
I also have a j&j. Mine is the all maple one 14mm, had it for very long time. I kept the phenolic tip. You can still buy them. It's jumps as well, as anything out there.

Last edited:

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played today and after watching Dr. Dave's video I did a lot better today than I ever have. I had a few close ones I didn't attempt. Not quite ready for those, but I got the ball up and over everything I jumped using an original Gulyassy Sledgehammer jump break.

It breaks ok, not stellar but ok. Jumps ok.
that's great!! like with other parts of pool, it takes practice.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I've heard many times that Jump/Break cues are either good for jumping or breaking, but not both. I would get a straight jumper.

I've got an Air Hog that I took in a trade. Next I'm learning to jump with it.

Zerksies

I've got an Air Hog that I took in a trade. Next I'm learning to jump with it.
I bought the Air Rush that I am learning with. All that i can tell you is get a practice cloth. I did put marks on my table.

I don't know that cue too well. If you can change the tip I would experiment. The standard tip wasn't the good for me. I changed it to a tiger Icebreaker and had improvement. Then i went to Samsara Jump/Break tip and had and better improvement over the icebreaker.

Right now I'm almost able to jump over a ball.

I really don't practice jumping that much, but technique really plays into it. And keep that grip hand loose.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've heard many times that Jump/Break cues are either good for jumping or breaking, but not both. I would get a straight jumper.
There are some out there but more people now like to have cues dedicated to both. I guess as long as you have a big enough case right? lol

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's far and away the best cue review that I've ever seen. Well done! Subscribed. Beautiful cue as well. The points look fantastic. Even on McDermott's $1,800 cues, you don't get sharp points like that.

Where can I get some of those rollers for testing straightness?

Last edited:

Average Joes

That's far and away the best cue review that I've ever seen. Well done! Subscribed. Beautiful cue as well. The points look fantastic. Even on McDermott's $1,800 cues, you don't get sharp points like that.

Where can I get some of those rollers for testing straightness?
Thank you, much appreciated (y)

We're putting a lot of time and effort into our cue reviews and trying to do something a little different, so that's a big thank you for your kind words!

We've also done reviews on the Sledgehammer by McDermott which is live already, as are our reviews on the Aramith Tournament balls and Aramith Crown balls. We also have upcoming reviews of more cues from various manufacturers, and also every ball set currently produced by Aramith (so Continental, Aramith Pro, Premium and Premier). Plus a review on the McDermott jump training ball, other training balls from Aramith, and are planning various other pool video's.

Provided we get decent support on YouTube we'll hopefully being doing this ongoing! :)

BTW, on the Stinger with regards the points as you mentioned, these are actually printed overlays (the lines) which is why they are so sharp (pointed). So the lines are over the joins between the rosewood and maple. When you look from inside the joint you can see it's just the rosewood and maple sections. Just wanted to clarify on that.

You aksed about the cue rollers... You can actually buy these on Amazon for around $25: https://amzn.to/3Unj76P

Thanks again!

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I play with one of these and would agree with that summary line. It's OK, gets the job done. The Predator break and jump cues I've tried seem to be better but I'm not interested in spending 4 figures to get 2 additional cues to replace this one.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I use an original Gulyassy Sledgehammer jump/break with a 1-piece G10 ferrule/tip.
It's a beast!

I have a Pechaur jump break with the G-10 tip that breaks great. Today I'm going to try its
jumping capabilities now that I have the stroke down pat.

Scrunge19

Registered
I looked at the stinger jump/break a few years back but decided to go with dedicated jump and break cues instead. Both the stinger and sledgehammer cues from McDermott are made in china which was also a turnoff.

Mikkes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started jumping with my 30+ years old Huebler jump/break cue. First i used the original ferrule and tip but that was only useful for good and controlled breaks but not for jump shots. So I got a bakelit all in one ferrule and tip on the original shaft. Jumping was much easier now but still not so controlled. So a friend of mine built me a shaft with a G-10 tip. That was my combination for more than 10 years -> Easy jumps and controlled breaks.

For the last few years i followed the new generation of carbon fibre jump cues and was excited to try them. I didn´t liked the first genration of these kind of jumpers but they improved a lot in the last 3 years. After trying various models from the known brands and some others, three of them are my favorites:

- for long jumps: Go Customs jump cue
- for short jumps: Cuetec Cynergy Propel
- price-performance-winner: JFlowers Jmpr

My all around winner is the Go Customs, because he is almost as good (and better in long jumps) as the Propel, but to a more reasonable price.

skiergd011013

I used my friends jacoby yesterday.....jumped right out of a safe and nearly banked the 8 right in. That sealed the deal for getting one. Im looking at the pechauer. What is the most common size, its available in 12.5, 12.75, and 13.