Jump cues

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
If someone is looking for a jump cue and never had one before are there any suggestions for a beginner with a jump cue? Is one length better to learn with? Is it better to get a dual jump/break as a starter cue? Looking for opinions.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If someone is looking for a jump cue and never had one before are there any suggestions for a beginner with a jump cue? Is one length better to learn with? Is it better to get a dual jump/break as a starter cue?

Get the lightest, dedicated jumper you can find.

Tough to beat the Jacoby at 7oz and about $180…

Last edited:

phreaticus

So you are saying a lighter jumper is better to learn with?
My $0.02 is that noob vs experienced doesn’t matter on the selection. Yes, as far as I can tell lighter is mostly better, but I think you will find that all the modern dedicated jump cues (as in 47” ish long 3 piece jobs vs full length combo jump/break cues) are all around 10 oz ish, the other main differences are tip, balance, and shaft style. Everyone will have an opinion for you... I’ve tried a bunch, have a few. Like any other cue, very subjective, based on many personal variables - only real way is to play with as many as you can. I just hit with a buddy’s Predator Air 2 - very very nice, and pretty hard to go wrong with IMO.

It might be helpful to study up a bit on jumping techniques and play around with medium/long jumps using a basic/house cue with a harder tip to gain some understanding of the physics and develop some feel before you jump in (pun intended!). There are a million good vids on YT, take your pick.

Cheers

Last edited:

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
I personally jump with my player. On those shorter jumps the player doesn’t work well. So thinking about maybe getting a real jumper. the heavy isn’t as good? What length is best for everyone?ive seen some really short ones and longer ones too. Also let’s say I never jumped before. is a heavy or light one going to eff up the table worse? Or both the same?

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I personally jump with my player. On those shorter jumps the player doesn’t work well. So thinking about maybe getting a real jumper. the heavy isn’t as good? What length is best for everyone?ive seen some really short ones and longer ones too. Also let’s say I never jumped before. is a heavy or light one going to eff up the table worse? Or both the same?
I have a Dufferin jump cue, real nice cue, but at 6' tall I feel I would be better served with a jump cue that was 4" longer. It's perfect for dart technique, but when you're away from a rail in a do or die situation it would be nicer to stand flat footed than on tip toes while trying to grip a shaft that is too short. I think a jump cue with a 6" extension would be ideal for most situations, but I'd guess they are big $$$.

I can and do jump with my player, so I usually use it on those shots, all 19 oz of it.

iba7467

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the price and ability, the Lucasi jumper is a steal at $125. It gets you something that is very forgiving and does not cost a fortune. Once you figure out how to use it and decide how much you need one, you can always sell it for half price and move on to a more expensive cue.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would look at the Lucky Jump cue from McDermott. Its $100. I use it in competition for my one handed jump shots. For $100 you can't go wrong.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I'm for jumping in the game as much as anyone, but believe it or not I don't have a dedicated jumper. I've been using the same J/B for my entire pool career, (~30yrs). It's a Falcon J/B (Nick V. signature) cue that I can't even remember buying, with a big chunk of phenolic on the end. Can't tell you how much it weighs.

For short range hops, it sucks. For carrying a distance and dropping the CB into tight gaps, it may as well be a magic wand...lol.

My point... I don't really think it matters what you start off with. Go cheap, real cheap. ...and if you feel the need to buy yourself a present at some time in the future, then upgrade. Too easy to throw ridiculous amounts of money at a jump cue that you may never even pull out of the bag unless to practice.

Since buying a dedicated breaker, I still carry my old one for sake of jumping. Some day I may invest in a pure jumper, but until a screaming deal presents itself I think the olde' breaker will have a home in my case.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The tip is a big factor also, not just the length or weight of the cue. I replaced the tip on my break/jump cue and it's jumping noticeably better now. Using a White Diamond BTW on it.

Starter cues, beginner cues, I think are all just fake news. Might as well go with what is considered the best if one can afford it not spend money twice on it. If a jump cue is good, it will be good for any skill level, because the whole point of them is to make skill less relevant to the jump shot. I hate when people say "I'm not good enough to have a nice cue yet", if the goal is to get good enough and get a nice cue, why waste extra money buying something crappy first if you are going to change it.

A longer jump cue is most often used for accuracy on longer jumps, for a shorter distance to jump you would need a shorter lighter jump cue but that makes the cueball a bit more wild. I like the PureX jump/break cue, has two different length selections for the jump part, it's a 4 piece cue. Does everything as good as anything else I tried.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So you are saying a lighter jumper is better to learn with?

All other things being equal, for the most part, lighter is better in just about every way.

Most jump/break cues tend to be pretty heavy on the jump side. Also, a very hard tip is usually preferable in a jump cue, but may not be your first choice for a breask cue

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well the ability to Jump Ball is a skill, recall couple of time years ago Robin Dodson was showing how to use her “Frog & Tadpole Jump Cues”.

Do not think the line of jump Cues were magic, Robin was just very skillful using those Cues.

Sure she had many hour of practice, to be so skillful.😋

TrxR

I just picked up a Jacoby jump cue. I like the weight and feel but havent had much chance to try it. My local pool hall just closed and sold off all the tables. I tried to get one of the tables but another pool hall a fair distance away bought them all.