Jump Question

whittle

Just trying to learn to jump and swerve the cue ball. I'm somewhat successful but my cue tip is contacting the table. I was told if done right the tip doesn't contact the table and from watching him it didn't look like his cue was touching the table or at least not leaving a mark. Now trying that I can't even jump a pencil. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a good instructional video or some in person lessons near Malvern Ar. ?

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you play basketball as a kid?

Remember when you wanted to be "cool" and simply popped the basketball with your hand as it lay in the ground so that it would jump up and you could start to dribble?

A jump works exactly the same way.

Pop straight down through the ball to hit it into the table.

It's not a hard stroke. It's a very quick stroke…

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here is a whole YouTube playlist.

I'm surprised that you can't even jump over a pencil. Most people can do that with their normal playing cue by simply elevating a little and hitting the ball hard. Record a video of yourself and compare it to the example shots in the playlist above.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your pool cue's angle of attack is probably more than you need. Look at a masse shot for example --- the tip has to hit the table. Try incrementally lessening the angle a few degrees at a time until you can achieve a jump without the potential of damaging the cloth.

whittle

Your pool cue's angle of attack is probably more than you need. Look at a masse shot for example --- the tip has to hit the table. Try incrementally lessening the angle a few degrees at a time until you can achieve a jump without the potential of damaging the cloth.
That’s exactly what it was. Can now jump with ease but only with dart style. Working on the overhand grip but can’t generate the pop needed. Was told I would have better control of the cue ball if I could get it down.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That’s exactly what it was. Can now jump with ease but only with dart style. Working on the overhand grip but can’t generate the pop needed. Was told I would have better control of the cue ball if I could get it down.
Study the pros overhand grip stances with jump cues. Study how they're facing in jump positions compared to their normal stances, and the position of their arms in relation to their body. You may find help there.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I think it is much more accurate to use an overhand, but when watching the pros do it, remember they are using 3 piece jump cues which are longer than the standard "dart" style jump cues. The reason this is important is because the extended length lets you get better clearance with your body. Underhand with a traditional jump cue kind of cramps you up when going overhand. That extra 6" of cue makes it much more comfortable and as a result you can use more natural movement and stroke way less jerky/punchy.

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it is much more accurate to use an overhand, but when watching the pros do it, remember they are using 3 piece jump cues which are longer than the standard "dart" style jump cues. The reason this is important is because the extended length lets you get better clearance with your body. Underhand with a traditional jump cue kind of cramps you up when going overhand. That extra 6" of cue makes it much more comfortable and as a result you can use more natural movement and stroke way less jerky/punchy.
So is it all technique or does it also depend on the quality of the cue or both etc.?

Fore Rail

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So is it all technique or does it also depend on the quality of the cue or both etc.?
Not all technique, but a big part. For me, the key has been getting a quality jumper, learning how it works and sticking with the cue.

They all seem to have their own individual sweet spots that must be learned.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
It's a little of both for overhand. But it really depends on the person. Body clearance/flexibility/etc is different for everyone. I'm not going to say the quality of the cue matters a whole lot, most jump cues will jump. The newer 3 piece ones are used by a large part of the pros nowadays. Notice most of them use overhand, so there has to be something to having the extra length of the 3 piece that is useful. But... If you watch on some shots, like the ones where dart style make sense, they will remove the extra end to transform it into a more traditional jump cue and dart with it.

But jumping alone is mostly about technique. You will also find that it's easier to jump on heavier tables with 1" slate. For example I find it tougher to jump on a Valley than on an Olhausen, Brunswick or a Diamond. The Valley has thinner slate and often you can feel the whole table shake when you jump (vibrations absorbing the force instead of transferring it). It doesn't mean they are bad tables, but like anything pool you have to adapt a bit.