jump shot - spear stroke vs traditional stroke

Shermanscs

Steve sherman
Silver Member
I recently purchased a Lucasi air hog jump cue. Previously, I had a cuetek jump/break cue that I would jump with. Keep in mind, I have not been jumping balls for long, so I consider myself a beginner at it.

I had been told that I should shoot a jump shot with a more traditional stroke (i.e. start off as if I am normally stroking the shot, then lift my arm / elbow, coming down 45 degrees, fairly loose grip, and follow through). I was able to perform this jump shot regularly with the cuetek. I am finding it extremely difficult to do with the Lucasi air hog, however, the spear stroke is working very well with the Lucasi - and quite effortless.

Is there anything wrong with using the spear stroke vs. the more traditional stroke? Any reason why one cue would favor one stroke vs. the other?
 
I recently purchased a Lucasi air hog jump cue. Previously, I had a cuetek jump/break cue that I would jump with. Keep in mind, I have not been jumping balls for long, so I consider myself a beginner at it.

I had been told that I should shoot a jump shot with a more traditional stroke (i.e. start off as if I am normally stroking the shot, then lift my arm / elbow, coming down 45 degrees, fairly loose grip, and follow through). I was able to perform this jump shot regularly with the cuetek. I am finding it extremely difficult to do with the Lucasi air hog, however, the spear stroke is working very well with the Lucasi - and quite effortless.

Is there anything wrong with using the spear stroke vs. the more traditional stroke? Any reason why one cue would favor one stroke vs. the other?

Being that I do not like to shoot with a jump cue (unless borrowed) and just jump shots with a regular cue (my personal preference; it's more challenging as well :) ), I like to shoot it with the traditional pendulum stroke instead of the spear.

In all honesty, it is all a personal preference on however you stance your stroke in jump shots. Usually, they would use the spear just to elevate the cue more than (aprox.) 65 degrees just to make the cueball jump. When I saw the Dr. Popper Jump cue do it's work, it was mostly used as a spear holding cue than a traditional (mainly because of how extremely light it is).
 
It's easier to aim with the tradition stroke, but have always felt the spear stroke was a more natural position and delivers the cue better.
 
I recently purchased a Lucasi air hog jump cue. Previously, I had a cuetek jump/break cue that I would jump with. Keep in mind, I have not been jumping balls for long, so I consider myself a beginner at it.

I had been told that I should shoot a jump shot with a more traditional stroke (i.e. start off as if I am normally stroking the shot, then lift my arm / elbow, coming down 45 degrees, fairly loose grip, and follow through). I was able to perform this jump shot regularly with the cuetek. I am finding it extremely difficult to do with the Lucasi air hog, however, the spear stroke is working very well with the Lucasi - and quite effortless.

Is there anything wrong with using the spear stroke vs. the more traditional stroke? Any reason why one cue would favor one stroke vs. the other?
Is this Sherman from SC ?
 
This is steve sherman from CT.

I have a buddy named Sherman from SC, Thought it may be him.
Good Luck on the jump shot. The shorter player has to resort to the spear method more so than a taller player. Though I use a traditional method, I think the spear method is more versatile , It allows a player to jump at close range in the middle of the table, even one handed. Its a good weapon for the arsenal IMO
 
Back
Top