Jumping up !!!

ANTJR122

Registered
Does anyone have a proven method or way to stop from jumping up on your shots ? Please reply only if you have the knowledge ... thanks
The most serious problem caused by jumping up, in my opinion, is that it affects the length and smoothness of the follow through. There are a few things I try to do to not jump up since it is one of my bad pool habits- 1. Practice a very long (exaggerated) follow through on all shots to prevent jumping up. 2. Keep your head down and concentrate on keeping your head down until all balls stop rolling on all shots in practice for approximately 100 shots or so to get the habit ingrained. 3. On shots where you know you will need power (and hence sometimes that will cause jumping), start in a stance with your head a little higher- I normally play best with my head very low near the surface of the table but in power shots try to start a little higher to give some more room for the power follow through stroke. I hope these tricks help.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stay down until the cue ball stops rolling. It’s that simple.

Unless of course, you are playing a ‘stop shot’, and slow-rolling the OB.

BTW: Back when I was first seriously studying ‘fundamentals’, I actually considered building a rolling ‘L’ shaped wooden frame that you could easily drag around the table with you, to position directly over your head when you got down on a shot. The overhanging part of the frame would be about two feet higher than the table bed, and consist of a board with nails driven downward through it.
Obviously, too cumbersome/ridiculous for competition situations, but aside from hiring some sadist to stand behind you armed with a small hammer (and carte blanche permission), I couldn’t think of a more effective training method!

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone have a proven method or way to stop from jumping up on your shots ? Please reply only if you have the knowledge ... thanks

When I first got to FSU I was "taught" the finer points of the game of snooker by Howard Barrett. One of the first games we ever played he beat me out of five bucks playing with the back end of the rake. But that's a other story. Anyway, whenever I would jump up after a shot Howard would hit me on top of the head with his cue, hand or my bottle of beer. I never jumped up when he was around.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One more thing is that I tend to drop my tip to the felt once my follow through had cleared well past the cueball. I can comfortably do that with follow or draw. Something about giving me one more thing to do at the end of the process seems to ensure the follow through happens and that I stay down. It makes things feel so much more...deliberate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl uses heavy arm weights. If your head bobs a lot you might try a diving bell, they pretty heavy.

I knew a guy in St Louis who had been a milk man way back when. I asked him how he got the horse to stand still while he delivered the milk. He said he had a metal plate on a rope that he would loop around the horse's neck and drop on the ground. Horse stayed put.