Kamui Roku vs Taom Pyro vs Great White...

edwu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since my last chalk video, I received a TON of comments and messages to test various chalks such as the Kamui Roku, Taom Pyro, Great White and more. I've compiled and tested the Top 9 most requested chalks into one video for everyone. I hope you all enjoy the video. Which chalk is your current "go to/favorite" and why?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since my last chalk video, I received a TON of comments and messages to test various chalks such as the Kamui Roku, Taom Pyro, Great White and more. I've compiled and tested the Top 9 most requested chalks into one video for everyone. I hope you all enjoy the video. Which chalk is your current "go to/favorite" and why?

I switched from the Taom Pyro to Exceed as I found I was miscuing a little too much, even though the cleanliness of the Taom Pyro chalk is unmatched. I’ve been playing with exceed chalk for a while, but looks like I might try the kamui Roku which rated just as good, if not better. Does it have a magnet in the bottom of the piece like the exceed does? That’s a big plus to me!

Although they sound very expensive, for myself I have found the Taom Pyro and the exceed chalk last an incredibly long time in comparison to the blue diamond or Russian magic chalk. If you utilize the entire piece, I would think it would be extremely hard to go through more than 2-4 pieces of chalk in a year’s time, even if you played daily!

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Nice review you did. I've tried most of the chalks in your review and I agree with your perception of them. My current favorite and what I use is the Kamui Roku. It gives good coverage, but isn't as messy as some of the others.

edwu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I switched from the Taom Pyro to Exceed as I found I was miscuing a little too much, even though the cleanliness of the Taom Pyro chalk is unmatched. I’ve been playing with exceed chalk for a while, but looks like I might try the kamui Roku which rated just as good, if not better. Does it have a magnet in the bottom of the piece like the exceed does? That’s a big plus to me!

Although they sound very expensive, for myself I have found the Taom Pyro and the exceed chalk last an incredibly long time in comparison to the blue diamond or Russian magic chalk. If you utilize the entire piece, I would think it would be extremely hard to go through more than 2-4 pieces of chalk in a year’s time, even if you played daily!
The Kamui Roku doesn't have a magnet on the bottom. They do have magnetic chalk attachments you could buy that are really high quality. The magnets on them a STRONG.

edwu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice review you did. I've tried most of the chalks in your review and I agree with your perception of them. My current favorite and what I use is the Kamui Roku. It gives good coverage, but isn't as messy as some of the others.
Thanks for the compliments. The Roku performed very well and I was impressed with it.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
The Kamui Roku doesn't have a magnet on the bottom. They do have magnetic chalk attachments you could buy that are really high quality. The magnets on them a STRONG.
I just bought 100 washers of just the right size and I super glue them to the bottom of the Roku chalk so it works with my magnetic chalk holder. I don't like anything wrapped around the sides of my chalk. (y)

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Which chalk is your current "go to/favorite" and why?
Russian magic chalk (RMC). I got on the Kamui bandwaggon when they first introduced it. It was good, but it ruined cue balls. I tried several chalks, but never found one I liked like Kamui. I tried RMC and liked it. It has enough grit that you can kind of work your tip if it gets a bit shiny. I tried Taom Pyro. I like it. Kind of similar to Kamui, but no mess and lasts long. Something wasn't right. I missed the "gritty" feel when applying chalk. Went back to RMC and I like it much better. Playing some local tournaments, they had Masters sitting on the table so I used it. Decent feel, decent grit. I'm kind of deciding if I take the Master pill or keep with the RMC. I have some pre-flag masters at home, it's decent, but the new stuff is ok too. Honestly I'm to the point that it doesn't matter. As long as it's not Sportscraft, I'll use it. Chalk doesn't cause miscues, bad strokes do. I enjoy a chalk that takes some thought, same as checking a rack for tightness, any little nit picky things to do can get you in the zone.

I recently tried Kamui again and I'm no longer a fan. It's great chalk but I like the grit. I know they make a grittier one now, but if I'm paying $25 for a cube, I'd rather just pay $5 or $0.50 for a cube.

One thing I found is this post: https://forums.azbilliards.com/threads/layered-tips-glazing-over.189715/post-2452902 . I had one of these strange tip tools, not really a pick, not really a scuffer. It came in the case when buying a used cue. This simple trick makes ANY chalk perform better. I use a hard Ki-Tech tip and it holds chalk well, but with this trick, it holds chalk like a fluffy Elkmaster.

edwu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just bought 100 washers of just the right size and I super glue them to the bottom of the Roku chalk so it works with my magnetic chalk holder. I don't like anything wrapped around the sides of my chalk. (y)
Wow great idea!

edwu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Russian magic chalk (RMC). I got on the Kamui bandwaggon when they first introduced it. It was good, but it ruined cue balls. I tried several chalks, but never found one I liked like Kamui. I tried RMC and liked it. It has enough grit that you can kind of work your tip if it gets a bit shiny. I tried Taom Pyro. I like it. Kind of similar to Kamui, but no mess and lasts long. Something wasn't right. I missed the "gritty" feel when applying chalk. Went back to RMC and I like it much better. Playing some local tournaments, they had Masters sitting on the table so I used it. Decent feel, decent grit. I'm kind of deciding if I take the Master pill or keep with the RMC. I have some pre-flag masters at home, it's decent, but the new stuff is ok too. Honestly I'm to the point that it doesn't matter. As long as it's not Sportscraft, I'll use it. Chalk doesn't cause miscues, bad strokes do. I enjoy a chalk that takes some thought, same as checking a rack for tightness, any little nit picky things to do can get you in the zone.

I recently tried Kamui again and I'm no longer a fan. It's great chalk but I like the grit. I know they make a grittier one now, but if I'm paying $25 for a cube, I'd rather just pay $5 or $0.50 for a cube.

One thing I found is this post: https://forums.azbilliards.com/threads/layered-tips-glazing-over.189715/post-2452902 . I had one of these strange tip tools, not really a pick, not really a scuffer. It came in the case when buying a used cue. This simple trick makes ANY chalk perform better. I use a hard Ki-Tech tip and it holds chalk well, but with this trick, it holds chalk like a fluffy Elkmaster.
You notice any difference between preflag and the newer master? I've heard mixed things.

boogieman

You notice any difference between preflag and the newer master? I've heard mixed things.
Honestly I'm not sure yet. I found a cube of pre flag at home from years ago. I used it a couple times in one game but not enough to actually test it. Once I get some new Masters, I'll try to do a side by side comparison. It's hard to compare when I was using them a week apart, but it seems like the pre flag might be a bit finer, seems to "smoke" when you apply it, but of course it could be because it's 20 years old and not past the outside layer yet.

cjr3559

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Life user and swearer of Master until literally yesterday when my cubes of Taom Pyro and Kamui Roku showed up, Sold on the cleanliness and performance of both. Master is great performing for the price, but makes a mess of everything.

PariahZero

My novice review: (I’m in the desert, so maybe 20% relative humidity, constantly)

I can’t speak for longevity, as I’m a chalk every time guy.

• Master: Yes. Applies well, works fine. Not easy to over apply. Wipes off the tip easily. Leaves chalk on ball and table.
• Silver Cup: Similar to Master. More colors. Not easy to apply too much. Wipes off the tip easily. Leaves chalk on ball and table.
• Predator 1080: easy to over apply, dirty stuff. Applies really easy, though, wipes off the tip easily. Leaves lots of chalk on balls and table.
• Great White: easy to apply, can cake on the tip easily. Leaves lots of chalk on the table and clings to the cue ball. So much clings to the cue ball it’ll leave a trail of dots on the cloth. I chalk Great White extremely gently - not much force is needed. Does *not* wipe easily from a cue tip. It really sticks. I’ve had the best results by chalking much less often.
• Magic Chalk: Applies great. Haven’t formed any other opinion yet.
• Kamui Roku: applies well, and is quite clean. There is a bit of transfer onto the table and cue, but it’s one of the cleanest chalks I’ve tried. I haven’t tried wiping it off a cue tip yet.
• Taom Pyro: the most difficult chalk I’ve applied to a tip. Probably impossible to cake it on. I haven’t had a chance to play it yet. (Yawn... need sleep)
• Navigator: Applies well, I can’t cake it on. There’s virtually no transfer to the balls or table. Stays on the tip well.

Thus far, my favorite is Navigator. It’s super clean, applies easily and smoothly, and can’t be over-applied.

I really want to like Great White, but so much chalk transfers to (and sticks) to the cue ball that after chalking very lightly, the cue ball leaves a string of white dots on the cloth... for several shots. Some may suggest (and I can’t disagree) that I’m applying too much chalk. I really have to emphasize how lightly and gently I chalk with Great White... I cannot imagine a way to apply chalk more sparingly. (Other than the obvious: don’t chalk every shot.) I’m still trying to figure out what I’m doing wrong. I know I thoroughly cleaned & scuffed the tip before applying Great White (as the little note that came with the chalk instructed).

I’ve not had a chance to really evaluate Taom Pyro, Kamui Roku, or Magic chalk.

Last edited:

boogieman

• Taom Pyro: the most difficult chalk I’ve applied to a tip. Probably impossible to cake it on. I haven’t had a chance to play it yet. (Yawn... need sleep)
I think the key is to get down into the chalk a tiny bit. The outer layer is kind of sketchy, doesn't act the same as the inside. The thing with Taom, on the first application, you want to really cake it on, you can't get it "thick" but it will slightly cake. This doesn't affect the feel of the tip, really odd to explain. After that, it goes on easy and stays on. It almost acts like a plastic, like saran wrap or something. It doesn't get "slick spots" like when other chalk miscues, it just kind of looks like the chalk layer tore, like a hole in saran wrap. It's behavior is odd, but it has great grip and stays on for ages. It's definitely worth perusing if you want a clean and long lasting chalk.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was buying Magic Chalk and I really liked it.
I always put 2 cubes on the table.
Awhile back there was 2 almost new cubes of Masters chalk in the ball tray and I got lazy and used it.
4 hours of playing and no miscues.
I'm not paying $5 or so for chalk anymore.
Nor am I buying layered tips.
For me expensive chalk and tips dont change my game a bit.

PariahZero

I'm not paying $5 or so for chalk anymore.
Nor am I buying layered tips.
For me expensive chalk and tips dont change my game a bit.

I generally agree; my own bias is because it’s my table and balls - cleaner chalk means more time playing, less time maintaining, less table cloth stretching and wear, etc.