Kamui Tips Q/A

I've been using clear Blacks for the past four years and i have no clue what people are talking about with this Glazing issue. I've put on over a dozen tips in that time and not once i've seen this glazing issue. I'm just guessing people don't know how to maintain tips.
I have had Kamui brown medium's on a Revo for last 6 years they never glaze
 
Truthfully, Kamui and others opened a bag of worms with the whole S, SS, M, MH, H crap. It’s really nothing more than a marketing fantasy to sell more tips.

Don’t you find it kind of funny that prior to all of you layered tip companies coming out of the woodwork with your 47 different varieties of hardness, color, etc. that the pool world functioned for a long, long time with single layer tips that essentially were very similar in hardness?

At the end of the day it’s a tiny piece of leather getting pounded repeatedly against a hard phenolic sphere. How long do you suppose it is before it’s hard as a rock? All these S,SS tips differ in, is how much maintenance time you spend trimming mushrooms and reshaping it before it settles into a hard form, but that sells more tips so I’m sure that isn’t a concern right?

You speak to hard hitters causing glazing in your tips, I’m thinking it’s more what you’re chemically treating them with, because there’s something unnatural about them. I installed a black once long ago and it launched the cue ball like it was a super ball. Just leather doesn’t do that, and whatever you do to it that gives that effect is probably what’s behind your glazing issue.
Yes, many agree with you and many do not. To Kamui it is more than a marketing gimmick whether you believe in it or not, but I understand what you're saying.

There are some people out there that still prefer not to have a layered tip out there, and that's okay.

Just note on one hand you're saying there's no real difference between the hardness ratings and on another note you're saying it does something that other tips do not. As to what we're chemically treating it with, I'll get back to you on that, but I doubt it makes a huge difference. I'm willing to be wrong about that though.

As for changing in processing time/temp, I believe that COULD be more significant than they thought.
 
Yes, many agree with you and many do not. To Kamui it is more than a marketing gimmick whether you believe in it or not, but I understand what you're saying.

There are some people out there that still prefer not to have a layered tip out there, and that's okay.

Just note on one hand you're saying there's no real difference between the hardness ratings and on another note you're saying it does something that other tips do not. As to what we're chemically treating it with, I'll get back to you on that, but I doubt it makes a huge difference. I'm willing to be wrong about that though.

As for changing in processing time/temp, I believe that COULD be more significant than they thought.
You misconstrued my comment so let’s set the record straight. It isn’t just Kamui, but all tip companies that are guilty of the marketing gimmick of SS, S, M, MH, H in offering all these multiple hardnesses in their tips. My point is this is something new that didn’t exist before because people once understood that when you pound a small piece of leather against a hard phenolic sphere, it’s going to harden it quick, and all these multiple hardness level tips truly offer as a result, is a tip that you have to constantly trim and shape until it reaches its final form. It’s a marketing gimmick because all these fools that use Super Soft and Soft tips thinking it “generates more spin” because they believe that propaganda are just constantly trimming and shaping their tips which leads to more tip sales.

Regarding what I say your tips do that is unusual is the same thing I experienced trying your hard and Zan’s hard tips. It launches the ball off the tip like the super balls we played with as children, that’s not natural for a piece of leather to do that. I believe that effect is due to chemical treating, and I believe that same chemical treatment is what causes your glazing issues as well.

At the end of the day, between your different varieties Black, clear black, athlete, etc etc and each of those varieties coming in 3 to 5 different levels of hardness, how many different tips does Kamui actually offer, like 97 or so? If that isn’t a gimmick about boosting sales to the idiots that will try all 97 varieties thinking the next one they try will be the magic key that unlocks their game, then I don’t know what else to call it. It used to be a companies would market one real good tip that they BELIEVE in, because it was actually a good tip.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top