Kamui Tips

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the Kamui tip is way overrated. I have been using them at my room for about 5 years and this year, they get too hard too fast no matter what the hardness scale states. They are also peeling back way too fast IMO and I going to stop purchasing them and not recommending them to my players. Does anyone have a similiar experience with them?

a1712

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I like the Browns, the Black's are horrid. I know some love them, it just hasn't been my experience. Brian.

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’ve had good luck with a new Clear Black Soft I had installed 6 months ago. Cut 2 layers off so it wasn’t so tall. No glazing or mushrooming. Firm but I like a firm tip. Just occasional roughing up with a Kamui Gator Grip tool for maintenance.

SSP

I’ve had good luck with a new Clear Black Soft I had installed 6 months ago. Cut 2 layers off so it wasn’t so tall. No glazing or mushrooming. Firm but I like a firm tip. Just occasional roughing up with a Kamui Gator Grip tool for maintenance.
I was using the Kamui Athlete tip and really liked it until I tried the Taom Fusion , both are Hybrid tips that have both hard and soft layers, I have always used Med tips in the past and the Kamui fit that bill perfectly, the Taom is A LOT harder tip, I never thought I would like a harder tip but I'm sticking with them, I have the tiger tip tool and it has 2 levels of aggression, one really barley takes the chalk off and can be used every day the other side is great for "gentle" shaping, I have been cleaning the tip tools with hot water and that works great at removing the little residue that comes of the tips.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They always just seemed like a marketing company. All overpriced stuff that has no value to me.
Gator grip is the only exception. I don't have a use for tip tools but don't have a bad word to say about that thing. It's nice.

Reactions: bbb

Rodney

hot7339
Silver Member
I’m not real picky about tips but I’d rather have just about anything on there besides a black Kamui!

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
IMO they are trash. Many better players than me love them. I prefer a hard milkdud.

Jedco

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Coincidentally, I just got back from picking up two shafts which had tips replaced today. I have a lot of cues and I try a lot of tips, so this is something to which I pay close attention. I have a Meucci Red Dot that needed a medium-ish tip, and I chose Kamui Brown Soft, which I’d used before. I like Thoroughbred a little better, but I wanted it today and Kamui is what was in stock. I also brought an 11.8mm Revo for a Kamui Black Soft. This is my favorite tip, but it doesn’t make sense for every cue. As mentioned before, the Black tips don’t last as long, require more maintenance, and become harder more quickly than other tips. Despite these totally valid complaints, I believe they're the best tip for me when set up correctly and in good shape. The feedback I get from Black Soft makes me feel more confident in digging deeper for draw and side-spin than I would be otherwise. I've heard it said that soft tips are a crutch for less skilled players. That may be true, I’m certainly no professional. I try my best to remain objective, and I do like medium and medium-hard tips, for certain cue setups.

New Bitmap Image.jpg

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
G2.

And oh BTW if you're using a Taom-like chalk they will last fooooorever.

Lou Figueroa

Flakeandrun

Medium - put these on all my shafts. Was what I was using on my snooker cue before I started playing pool.
Tried Longoni Fuji, which I applied and liked... but expensive... Moori, Kamui, Zan which all came attached to shafts... disliked all. Was going to buy thoroughbred based on a recommendation, but the rep here took ages to get back to me, then didn't have the hardness I wanted.
Bought 10 of these. Might buy more, and will use for the foreseeable. Great tips.

1710809097695.png

Nyquil

I think the Kamui tip is way overrated. I have been using them at my room for about 5 years and this year, they get too hard too fast no matter what the hardness scale states. They are also peeling back way too fast IMO and I going to stop purchasing them and not recommending them to my players. Does anyone have a similiar experience with them?
I have a kamue SS clear on my league player (meucci) and I love it. Tons of layers and for me it keeps shape well if I am chalking correctly each shot. I am bad at this and usually go a full rack at home before chalking again. If I play a lot at home I have to reshape every few weeks but it's so easy. It has hardened just a bit, still plays really soft which I like. I still have plenty of layers left and it's been on my league cue for a year. Anyway if you don't like this tip my other favorite is tiger sniper less layers but that thing really can grab the cue ball. Easy to shape but it's a bit firmer and doesn't need as much attention. Next time I am up for a change I have been interested in trying a searing tip and might give that a go.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Medium - put these on all my shafts. Was what I was using on my snooker cue before I started playing pool.
Tried Longoni Fuji, which I applied and liked... but expensive... Moori, Kamui, Zan which all came attached to shafts... disliked all. Was going to buy thoroughbred based on a recommendation, but the rep here took ages to get back to me, then didn't have the hardness I wanted.
Bought 10 of these. Might buy more, and will use for the foreseeable. Great tips.

View attachment 749588
They only come in 9mm and 10mm, so for snooker cues only?

Reactions: bbb

Zerksies

I love the consistency from tip to tip. They hit exactly the same all the time. I don't get that glazing stuff people talk about I've probably used about a dozen tips in about 2 years. They are probably the best tip i've ever used.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I like the Browns, the Black's are horrid. I know some love them, it just hasn't been my experience. Brian.
Me either. Like the OP stated, they seem to harden up awfully fast.

Like you, I prefer the browns over the blacks, but they are nowhere near my preferred tip.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have Kamui Black Clear in soft and super soft on 3/4 of my cues. I learned to use the softest version
instead of medium or hard. This made a big difference so I installed it on the pool cues I mainly use.
I’m pleased with the results or I’d have used a different brand. Kamui cue tips are very hard so use soft.