Kicking/banking during game...

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm a firm believer in both systems and feel when it comes to kicking/banking.

In case you want some more reference materials, I did a series of articles years ago, they can be found at poolstudent.com, just go down the right side to the Instruction link. You'll find multiple methods for 1 and 2 rail kicks and a write up on System Sid. Someday I'll finish what I started... :)

Scott

scott your articles
david sapolis kicking academy
and my house pro mark coats
were EXTEMELY helpfull in teching me systems
i had to hear them many times before they sunk in
after a year its no different than asking me to say the alphabet
i want to thank you for the knowledge you shared
its helped me ALOT

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Here's another way of measuring kick shots, a little different from the "reference angles" method I posted earlier, but using the same 2-to-1 principle. It should be self explanatory...

kick.jpg

Like the "reference angles" this measures the "equal angle" kick, so of course you need to adjust for cloth stickiness & ball speed/spin.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Hello everybody,

someone posted about *The Kicking Academy* (several times) - just talked few minutes ago with my good friend David Sapolis aka "BlackJack" here on the forum.
He wants to make sure, that the right person gets the credit for the really great pdf file called *Kicking Academy*. This file/stuff was generated and put together by the old AZ Member *DeadAim*. Later Craig Sullivan put the pdf-file together, and David just shared the link for this great stuff with the community here.

So just as an information for all: The credit here goes alone to the user "DeadAim"

lg from overseas,
Ingo

EasyEJL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello everybody,

someone posted about *The Kicking Academy* (several times) - just talked few minutes ago with my good friend David Sapolis aka "BlackJack" here on the forum.
He wants to make sure, that the right person gets the credit for the really great pdf file called *Kicking Academy*. This file/stuff was generated and put together by the old AZ Member *DeadAim*. Later Craig Sullivan put the pdf-file together, and David just shared the link for this great stuff with the community here.

So just as an information for all: The credit here goes alone to the user "DeadAim"

lg from overseas,
Ingo

And since I haven't seen the link before, I found it so everyone else who is interested can read

http://deadstrokeuniversity.com/Kicking_Academy.pdf

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hello everybody,

lg from overseas,
Ingo

Ingo
i just re read your post
all this time i thought DeadAim was david sapolis aka blackjack (i think)
never knew either that craig sullivan was involved in getting the pdf file link organized
the info in there is
the most comprehensive reference for kicking ive run across (and its free!!!)and probably 98% of what most people would need to know

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
To all of you , fellow players,
here a subject that I feel weak in!

Any of us, I'm sure, is more or less aware of the various systems of aimig to rails for kicking/banking(such like Sid,2 rails parallel lines, 3 rails counting, fixed point for 3 rails...etc etc), but personally I find it hard to remember/use while in a game!!!

Maybe just a lack of experience / specific training, maybe lazyness......but I'm wondering if any of you has developped an "easy shortcut" to use when "in the heat" of a match!

Thanks for your imput!! :grin:
As many people have suggested, the only way to get more comfortable aiming kick and bank shots is to practice them a lot. With enough practice and experience, good players can aim kicks and banks strictly by feel (i.e., intuitively). However, for those of us who don't have perfect intuition created over countless years of successful practice and experience, the "systems" can be very helpful (assuming you practice them enough to be able to use them quickly and comfortably at the table). FYI, lots of resources (including video demonstrations and instructional articles) covering in detail all of the most-commonly used systems can be found here:

The rest is up to you (i.e., learn the knowledge and practice the systems a lot).

Regards,
Dave

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
oops ....:eek:
dr daves material is also free and a treemendous resource for every thing pool:thumbup:

cuenut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's geometry. Pool is physics. You have to account for the compression of the cushion, the roll of the object ball, the speed of the shot, and the humidity of the room, among other things. Balancing all of these factors is where feel comes in.

Pool is both geometry and physics. Reflection, congruent and corresponding angles, parallel lines, tangent points, etc. complicted or distorted by the physics you mention. It is balancing the factors you mention with the geometry.