Kielwood shaft the way to go?

Cue Alchemist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to try one but most I see are too light for me at around 3.3oz - 3.60z when I prefer a heavier 4oz shaft. I have some very old tight grain maple shafts that look like 'kielwood' stashed but they are just very old growth, tight grain 'aged' maple. These shafts are on the heavier side typically weigh 4oz perfect for me.
Kat,
I'm with you on the old growth.these kielwood shafts, look the same as the very old antique cues you see. Which has gone through, the same process when the sugers crystalize, over a very long time. An antique house cue,where shaft is usable. That is over a hundred years old. The Color is exactly the same.
It's very different to the bowling ally shafts, and all the old growth types out there
I played with them also. All play very similar.
As for The current Hsunami shafts. I'm sure when you order, you can request the weight, your after.

fiftyyardline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to try one but most I see are too light for me at around 3.3oz - 3.60z when I prefer a heavier 4oz shaft. I have some very old tight grain maple shafts that look like 'kielwood' stashed but they are just very old growth, tight grain 'aged' maple. These shafts are on the heavier side typically weigh 4oz perfect for me.

Anyone know why the kielwood shafts are 'light' ? is it due to the process ? The Hsunami shafts appear to be the high quality in that meduim. Does Richard make one that is 4oz at 12.5 up long taper ?

Cheers,
kat
I have been using an OB Phoenix torrified wood shaft now for about 3 years - the best shaft I have ever had. It is 30”, 12.8mm and weighs 3.8 oz.

fiftyyardline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keilwood however is not harder than any other maple. In fact it's hard to cut threads into without reinforcing them with sealer which is rarely needed with hard maple. Sorry for all your science but I can only speak of what my lying eyes tell me. Even if some of it is real the greatest benefit of Keilwood compared to white maple is exactly what I said.
Maybe this isn't what was set out upon to do with torrified pool shafts but that's what it is.
Again - not just cosmetic
This from a guitar website talking about the benefits of torrefied wood: “The Vikings used torrefied wood because it absorbs less moisture so size and shape are more likely to remain consistent after it has been sawed and planed. In other words it’s stronger and more stable as well as being lighter, which means it’s equally suited to shipbuilding,wooden flooring, and guitar making”. ———- And pool shafts - once again not just cosmetic🤫

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
The fact is you said it was only cosmetic. Whether they are better or not it still isn’t only cosmetic
The fact is you said it was only cosmetic. Whether they are better or not it still isn’t only cosmetic

Again - not just cosmetic
This from a guitar website talking about the benefits of torrefied wood: “The Vikings used torrefied wood because it absorbs less moisture so size and shape are more likely to remain consistent after it has been sawed and planed. In other words it’s stronger and more stable as well as being lighter, which means it’s equally suited to shipbuilding,wooden flooring, and guitar making”. ———- And pool shafts - once again not just cosmetic🤫
Snake oil but if you all think it's working for you so be it.

telinoz

Registered
The truth only as YOU see it. It will not absorb moisture, will not warp, and will always be stable through temperature and humidity swings. That's why it is commonly used in guitars and other musical instruments.

The wood is actually lighter (less weight and mass) after the baking process. Less mass near the tip helps it to have less deflection. Now if you core the tip with a lighter material, and utilize a low mass ferrule, it will rival many LD shafts on the market.

Since the shaft weighs less then its regular maple counterpart, the ones that prefer a forward weighted cue probably wont like it.
Yep, this is accurate.
Scientifically as well.
Some people don't like facts and evidence though.

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
They are baked in a kiln with no oxygen at a heat that would catch them on fire if there was oxygen present. It removes the sugars and moisture from the wood. This is what makes them lighter. I think he may be able to adjust the weight a bit
I was pretty sure this was false but wanted to make 100% sure before posting.

This week I processed a skim cut on 200 shafts 70 of which were torrified. I weighed each one and wrote it on them after the cut. After the cut each shaft is exactly the same dimensions. There is no difference on average between baked and kiln dried wood weight. The outliers in both groups were light and heavy up to an ounce difference at .075" over finished size but the vast majority were all about in the same range both baked and white but the lightest and heaviest of each group were not skewed in either direction. Baking maple doesn't make it any lighter than kiln drying it and that is 100% proven by actual testing.

I was pretty sure this was false but wanted to make 100% sure before posting.

This week I processed a skim cut on 200 shafts 70 of which were torrified. I weighed each one and wrote it on them after the cut. After the cut each shaft is exactly the same dimensions. There is no difference on average between baked and kiln dried wood weight. The outliers in both groups were light and heavy up to an ounce difference at .075" over finished size but the vast majority were all about in the same range both baked and white but the lightest and heaviest of each group were not skewed in either direction. Baking maple doesn't make it any lighter than kiln drying it and that is 100% proven by actual testing.
I was going off of what I have read researching. How do you explain torrified shafts generally being lighter than other regular maple shafts ? At least from the weights I’ve seen

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was going off of what I have read researching. How do you explain torrified shafts generally being lighter than other regular maple shafts ? At least from the weights I’ve seen
With the water gone they are lighter
icbw

Zerksies

I’m surprised that they have just started using this technology in cues recently. Most things made out of wood are usually baked to get rid of moisture in the wood. I mean it’s more natural just letting the wood “season“ But then you get the argument over new growth versus old growth.

Wood even dried or baked is still a living material. It’s going to react to moisture. But in the end if it makes a better quality product I’m for it

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
With the water gone they are lighter
icbw
That is why you need to get
Kat,
I'm with you on the old growth.these kielwood shafts, look the same as the very old antique cues you see. Which has gone through, the same process when the sugers crystalize, over a very long time. An antique house cue,where shaft is usable. That is over a hundred years old. The Color is exactly the same.
It's very different to the bowling ally shafts, and all the old growth types out there
I played with them also. All play very similar.
As for The current Hsunami shafts. I'm sure when you order, you can request the weight, your after.
This is exactly right. I requested a 3.9 ounce shaft from Richard Hsu, and it was delivered at 3.91. I did not have to make it longer to make up for lost weight. But, Richard's builds are all custom-

-dj

telinoz

Registered
I only have to wait 3 months to see if this Hsunami shaft is any good.
Ha ha!

Custom spec sent, same dimensions as 2004 Z shaft, conical taper.

In the meantime I got some Archos II balls. Best set I have played with.
Got a Aramith carry case, so no more crappy ball sets for me when I am out now.

I see a few people here went with a longer shaft to compensate for weight...
Waste of time I think, makes no difference for 1 inch.
Balance point basically the same as well.

I also ordered it with same tip as what I have on my 2004 Gen1 Z shaft.
Got to see like for like first before making more variable changes.

Reactions: ACL

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ha ha!

its a great shaft
i played with it for awhile
i switched to revo because of less deflection
but the hsunami has better feel
jmho

telinoz

Registered
its a great shaft
i played with it for awhile
i switched to revo because of less deflection
but the hsunami has better feel
jmho
I am hoping so, as I have tried multiple carbon shafts now and the feel is not great.

Ha ha!

I have two of them and I have a third one ordered. One is 29 and one is 30. I like the 30 because it gives me a little more reach. The new one ordered is the new darker shaft.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Ha ha!

Hello,
Congrats on your purchase.
A question for you please.

You got the shaft longer to compensate for the weight, but don't the cue makers all have pretty much the same size shafts by the 10's or 100's?
So would they have to get a different piece and go through the whole process with it taking up more time, or are there longer pieces of the same wood around for instances just like this?

telinoz

Registered
Hello,

You got the shaft longer to compensate for the weight, but don't the cue makers all have pretty much the same size shafts by the 10's or 100's?
So would they have to get a different piece and go through the whole process with it taking up more time, or are there longer pieces of the same wood around for instances just like this?
I did not get my shaft ordered with a longer length.
Sorry, you misunderstood my post.

Hello,

His shafts are made to order I believe you can get 30,31 and 32 or any other length you want. It doesn’t change the time to receive the shaft. you can get a premade Hsunami shaft from pool dawg but you can’t customize those

Reactions: bbb