Kielwood vs Carbon fiber

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have played with the HSU kielwood shaft and several carbon fiber’s
The keilwood is a great shaft has good feel and energy transfer
I decided to stick with a Revo 11.8 because of its lower deflection.
But I have not sold the kielwood shafts
If you want more feel, you will learn and adjust to the extra deflection of kielwood
If you want, less worry of dings warping, etc. and lower deflection at least compared to revo
go with carbon fiber
Jmho
Pm me if you have questions
What was the diameter of the Kielwood shaft you used?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never played with a keilwood shaft just LD wood shafts.

Wood is wood and eventually will or could warp and it will has the potential to get a ding. I use to pull out dings on my wood shafts weekly.

I've been using carbon for about two months, It's probably never going to warp. I've hit my shaft a few times and i haven't had one ding. I don't use a glove and my hands are never dirty from the shaft. I don't ever hear that ping sound with my playing shaft, but i do use a very hard tip on my break shaft and get a ping sound.
I don't see how one can have a conversation about a choice between wood and carbon without acknowledging that the carbon is durable/ not delicate and unable to change shape with normal use.

Zerksies

I don't see how one can have a conversation about a choice between wood and carbon without acknowledging that the carbon is durable/ not delicate and unable to change shape with normal use.
What i really like about Carbon is I use to have to attend to fixing something in my wooden shaft weekly. I haven't had to do anything with a carbon shaft besides cleaning it with an alcohol pad about once a month and changing a tip every few months.

Also with wood i could feel changes in the shaft with humidity and temperature.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What i really like about Carbon is I use to have to attend to fixing something in my wooden shaft weekly. I haven't had to do anything with a carbon shaft besides cleaning it with an alcohol pad about once a month and changing a tip every few months.

I'm unable to come up with another product type that sees as great an improvement from material change as the cue shaft does.

I see why people have been claiming wood shafts are on the way out.

tomatoshooter

The slickness is a big advantage to CF. It's pretty rare for there to be much fiction through the bridge.

Zerksies

The slickness is a big advantage to CF. It's pretty rare for there to be much fiction through the bridge.
I don't understand why people need gloves if it's so slick, Years ago guys would use glove because the woodens shafts wern't slick. Now they are super slick and guys are using them.

And here comes the I wear a glove hate.

Mensabum

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I appreciate everyones insight. Being this thread is nearly a yr & a half old, Ive since own or owned nearly every big name shaft on the market, currently in my bag is the following revo 12.4 & revo 11.8, Becue engage 12.3, Tiger fortis Ld ,Tiger fortis pro, cynergy 10.5, flowers smo shaft(*), rhino cf 12.2 , and lastly my own creation ,a 12.5mm core modified
ferrule-less shaft.

Ive also, within the yr + have owned, and sold , engage 11.8, hsunami v1 12.3 .

For me it comes down to what has the best feel while still offering among the least amount of squirt. With that in mind, my goto shafts would be The Tiger fortis Ld & Pro, Then the ferrule-less I mentioned, after that Id pick the Revo 11.8, then the cynergy 10.5 , its near a tie between the engage 12.3(more feel) & the revo 12.4 (slightly less squirt).

*:Note:
Ive yet to use the smo shaft. I had it sent out to be re-tapped to a 3/8x10 from the 3/8x8 , Im expecting the smo back within the next couple weeks.
From there I'll provide a update as to where that stands against the others I own.
I'd like to hit w that core modified 12.5!!

TeddyKGB

I use a OB Phoenix 12.2. kielwood shaft

It weighs 3.4 oz

I cant say I love the feel of it, but its as low deflection as I can find without switchng to CF, and the roasted look/color makes my cue stand out

budonahog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't understand why people need gloves if it's so slick, Years ago guys would use glove because the woodens shafts wern't slick. Now they are super slick and guys are using them.

For me, I wear a glove with carbon because I don't like the feel in my hand. Just feels weird to me unless I wear the glove.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Consistency, regardless of conditions or equipment.
Screenshot_20240213-120101__01.jpg