Kinister 1 hour workout

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you shoot the cue ball straight up the center of the table with side spin, how far above the side pockets can you hit? (no object ball involved in this test)
What’s a good reference for this rail spin effect shot, Bob? Where would you expect to hit with max spin and good rail reaction? With new slick cloth on the cushions?

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tried that this morning Bob. I have two tables in the basement. The GC IV I hit reliably between the second and third. On a Valley 88 I can hit the second diamond. This has newish Penguin rails.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tried that this morning Bob. I have two tables in the basement. The GC IV I hit reliably between the second and third. On a Valley 88 I can hit the second diamond. This has newish Penguin rails.
Just to make sure we're on the same page... If you hit the second diamond on the side rail, it means the cue ball is coming off the middle of the far rail at a 45-degree angle more or less. Is that what you are getting? If so, it means those cushions are relatively sticky and the side spin takes more on them than on "normal" cushions.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, about 45 degrees. BTW aside from the tables it was apple to apple because I used the same higher end Aramith cue ball. I just tried it again with the heavy magnetic CB on the Valley and it went right for the side pocket, so it added two more diamonds. All of this is way more spin than I am comfortable with. Right on the edge of miscues.

So do I polish up my CB and work on #4 again? BTW, I'm comfortable with your cut shot progressive practice. But bringing it back to center table, ah, not so much. I'm a geezer and don't have enough time left to be anywhere near good.