Ko Pin and Predator Cues

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure if Ko Pin Yi is still with Predator but does this look like a Predator shaft to you?
Seems like a traditional ferrule. Didn't know Pred made shafts with ferrules like this.
Or was he perhaps using a traditional shaft while he was signed up with Predator?

This is a screen shot from this match:
https://youtu.be/EiGD4OJTMZw
which was uploaded just a few days ago so it seems like he would still be with Predator.

Edit: Here is the list of the Predator pros: http://www.predatorcues.com/pro-team/

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see. That makes perfect sense.
What doesn't make sense is going from Southwest to a Predator playing cue.

Thanks

It looks like a ebony SW a rare breed tried to get a close up but couldn't , the taper of the shaft also looks SW

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ko pin yo is using a ebony on ebony southwest.
He has always been using southwesr throughout his career. He used to play with a franklin era southwest before he dad forced him to switch to the ebony one.
He personally told me he didnt like it at 1st due to ebony being heavy but he now understands why his dad did so.

He and his brother are sponsored by predator for their break cues.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He has always been using southwesr throughout his career. He used to play with a franklin era southwest before he dad forced him to switch to the ebony one.
He personally told me he didnt like it at 1st due to ebony being heavy but he now understands why his dad did so.

Thanks Cezar, excellent info.

As a side I'm adding that as of recently I can very much relate to the weight story you mentioned.
I used to never like anything over 18.5, that was a solid max.
Now I'm a 19.5 to 20.5 oz and it definitely feels like the cue goes through the cue ball with a lot
less effort, and every shot has become easier since going up in weight.
Especially anything requiring a lot of speed. Just swing that arm straight and let the cue do the work.
Yes, for me that is, others may be the complete opposite.

Last edited:

HaroldWilson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The Taiwanese coaches consider Predator playing cues as firewood as they have no stopping power compared to the higher end customs. The first thing they ask players wishing to be coached is what type of cue they use and if it is using an LD shaft then they tell them to get a good custom such as a Southwest or Tad etc.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Taiwanese coaches consider Predator playing cues as firewood as they have no stopping power compared to the higher end customs. The first thing they ask players wishing to be coached is what type of cue they use and if it is using an LD shaft then they tell them to get a good custom such as a Southwest or Tad etc.

They have no stopping power?

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
HaroldWilson...What does that mean?...no stopping power.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
stopping power

I am glad Scott asked what "stopping power" is, the term makes so sense to me in relation to cues. Looking forward to learning something.

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am glad Scott asked what "stopping power" is, the term makes so sense to me in relation to cues. Looking forward to learning something.
"Stopping power" when it comes to cues refers to the size of animal that can be "stopped" when hitting it with the cue.

If your stopping power is "chicken" it is no good for the taiwanese coaches. A cue must have stopping power of "goat" or higher to be considered for international play

I hope that helps to clarify things

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Pleinairrider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Stopping power" when it comes to cues refers to the size of animal that can be "stopped" when hitting it with the cue.

If your stopping power is "chicken" it is no good for the taiwanese coaches. A cue must have stopping power of "goat" or higher to be considered for international play

WTF did I just read? Are we talking about wooden sticks that are made by being turned on a lathe here? So much "woo" when it comes to wooden sticks. Dr Dave, we need some SCIENCE :D

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

LOL.......that's literally the first time I've laughed out loud on this forum......hahaha

Being a competitive IDPA this is hilarious as we hear this all the time....lol

J0HN0

Registered

At last a useful comparative for the cue buying public, there could be a long list of animals by size and the cue mfrs can place their cue against the picture of animal that it will "stop", of course someone will have to invent a machine that can club the animals in a repeatable fashion (or else the mfrs will cheat and just hit them harder).

I look forward to the response from the RSPCA on that one :smile:

HelloBaby-

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LD shaft is automatic transmission, normal shaft is manual transmission. SW is top of the line racing car. Give it to a Pro they rock together, give it to a amateur they do worst than his Camry.