ladder drill 9 ball

magicrat69210

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
can someone please explain this or draw it out. i saw a very old thread on here but u have to have adobe shockwave or something. also is this the same thing as the 9 pointed star drill or a variation of it. also i hear it is progressive also want to know how change it around thanks in advance.

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
can someone please explain this or draw it out. i saw a very old thread on hear with it but u have to have adobe shockwave or something. also is this the same thing as the 9 pointed star drill or a variation of it. also i hear it is progressive also want to know how change it around thanks in advance.

do you have a link to the old thread??
maybe someone can post pics from that thread?

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
can someone please explain this or draw it out. i saw a very old thread on hear with it but u have to have adobe shockwave or something. also is this the same thing as the 9 pointed star drill or a variation of it. also i hear it is progressive also want to know how change it around thanks in advance.

Is English your main language?

magicrat69210

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yes it is. i just happened to be typing in a hurry cuz i was on my way out the door. i second the question....... why is that important to answer the question??? anyways the old thread can be found by using ladder in the keyword search for titles only. its from 2006

Last edited:

oshua86

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I practice this drill a lot, it's shown by Bert kinister, I think you can youtube one of Bert's videos. If not ill draw one out later.

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
can someone please explain this or draw it out. i saw a very old thread on here but u have to have adobe shockwave or something. also is this the same thing as the 9 pointed star drill or a variation of it. also i hear it is progressive also want to know how change it around thanks in advance.

Here ya go. YouTube is your friend. :smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N-RU7QWKuI

Have fun.

John

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I notice that the video posted above might not be the one you were after, but....

I think any drill that is as repetitive as the illustrated one is OK to practice for a while but it is in no way a universal drill. A similar drill is the L drill. Both of them will sharpen specific skills but not all position play skills.

Have you tried "progressive ghost"?

Mark Avlon

Northwest Pool School
Silver Member
The Ladder Drill

Here's the layout from the referenced post.

LadderDrill.jpg

You'll notice the 9 ball isn't on the table and should go in the appropriate position on the top right cushion.

magicrat69210

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wow im almost sorry i asked. im assuming these have to be run in order. if i can ever get that one down ill be playing like a champion. thanks for taking the time

Last edited:

oshua86

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's the layout from the referenced post.

LadderDrill.jpg

You'll notice the 9 ball isn't on the table and should go in the appropriate position on the top right cushion.

Sorry Mark, I didnt see that thread in here but that is not the ladder that I know. At least not the one taught by Bert Kinister. Sorry it took me a while. But here is the Ladder that I know:

1KSNQAf.jpg

Every ball is a mirror or 1 2 and 3. Each ball is at a different distance from the rail. If you guys are interested I can post the exact measurements of the balls.

As far as the Ladder and the 9 pointed star drill, they are different drills.

Last edited:

magicrat69210

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks alot that looks like what was explained. also looks very tough. if u could list the measurements that would be great

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yes it is. i just happened to be typing in a hurry cuz i was on my way out the door. i second the question....... why is that important to answer the question??? anyways the old thread can be found by using ladder in the keyword search for titles only. its from 2006

I'm a teacher. That's why I asked. Your typing while running out the door says a lot about who you are and what's important and not important to you.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sorry Mark, I didnt see that thread in here but that is not the ladder that I know. At least not the one taught by Bert Kinister. Sorry it took me a while. But here is the Ladder that I know:

1KSNQAf.jpg

Every ball is a mirror or 1 2 and 3. Each ball is at a different distance from the rail. If you guys are interested I can post the exact measurements of the balls.

As far as the Ladder and the 9 pointed star drill, they are different drills.
For the vast majority of players, I think that layout is much less than 50% and probably less than 1 in 20 on a tournament table.
If a player wants to spend time at this drill I think they should ask themselves whether the shots required for the runout are shots they usually have trouble with in actual games.

Last edited:

encore

Banned
The problem with drills is that they can show you how much work you really need to do to improve your game! it can be very discouraging :thumbup: You could also become a pro at shooting drills but get smoked in matches against a good player that you can easily beat in a drills competition.

Last edited:

oshua86

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The problem with drills is that they can show you how much work you really need to do to improve your game! it can be very discouraging :thumbup: You could also become a pro at shooting drills but get smoked in matches against a good player that you can easily beat in a drills competition.

I would like to see just one "pro" at running drills that gets "smoked" by any "good" players.

I find very interesting that you get any average player, or even some good B or A players and they all have trouble running a lot of drills. But you put a professional in the box and they are able to execute them correctly in short period of time.

Darren Appleton when asked a few days ago what was it that amateurs lack the most compared to pros he said that he never sees amateurs running drills, when most pros do.

I'm never going to understand the people that say they don't believe in drills when every single individual in the whole history of pool that has learned to play pool at a high level has done so by doing drills. They could be popular drills, self made ones, simple, complex, practice for short periods of time or hours at a time, but they are still drills.

encore

Banned
I was just mostly kidding around with that post. If you want to get a average player and make him do drills for a year straight and then play a shortstop in a longer race of 8,9 or 10 ball, who you going to bet on? I also occasionally do drills.

Last edited: