Last Pocket 8 Ball Rules Question

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
So if opponent makes his second to last ball in side pocket or his Last ball is by side pocket I’m going to make his ball in side pocket.
Intentionally making opponent to have side pocket as his last pocket should not be allowed.
Part of the fun of pool is using strategy to your advantage and your opponent's disadvantage. Your opponent had a turn at the table, that was their chance to control the table from a strategic perspective. They should have ran out or arranged balls instead if they wanted to moan about you legally pocketing their ball. I love the idea of getting to choose my opponent's last pocket and them getting to choose mine if I fail to strategically not let them do so.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A side pocket in and of itself is not necessarily a disadvantage, they are usually the easiest pockets to bank into. The location of the 8 ball is probably the biggest decider in whats a bad last pocket. If my opponent wants to give up his frame by pocketing my last ball who am I to complain, Im always happy to make it back to the table, its hard to win while you are sitting in your chair.
And your opponent has the same option to do it to you when it suits him to do so.

The key is knowing the rules before you start.

FairladyZ

The Boss Stooge
Staff member
Silver Member
I've played last pocket 8ball for 50 years, and it has always been where the opponents last ball went, whether they shot it in or not. Also both players cannot have the same last pocket.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour
I too have always wondered about this, but was never faced with the situation.... Now I know if I ever do. Last pocket is all we play here if we're playing 8-ball. I appreciate the clarification.

Floydbeth

Registered

Attachments

• 9F34F729-8A03-40BA-8CFB-59BCFD95EAA6.jpeg
    9F34F729-8A03-40BA-8CFB-59BCFD95EAA6.jpeg
    141 KB · Views: 97

crazysnake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've played alot of last pocket 8. The rule was that if your opponent pockets your last ball then you may pocket the 8 ball anywhere.
Additionally in the game situation you described, on your opponents turn at the table, failure to make legal contact with the 8 ball would be loss of game.
This last rule, I later learned was a misunderstanding of the -3 consecutive fouls results in a loss of game- rule.
Too much funny business in 8 ball sometimes.

Sent from my motorola one zoom using Tapatalk

boogieman

If pocketing opponents last ball illegally , opponent can choose any pockets for the 8 ball.
ILLEGALLY. If you hit your ball first and pocket theirs, that's legal by any standard definition of billiard rules.

If you are stripes and shoot the 10 ball in, then the cue ball hits their 6 in, it's still your turn. Alternately, if you hit your 10 ball into the 6 and it touches a rail, that's a legal shot. Your turn is over, but you did NOT take a foul. To cut it to it's simplest form, a legal shot A: requires you to shoot the cue ball into one of your balls, then sink one of your called balls, or B: Shoot the CB into any of your balls then ANY ball (including CB) hits a rail.

That poster is disproving your stance.

crazysnake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No one is trying to eliminate the strategy component of the game. The question was if your opponent pockets your last ball what happens. It was a simple rules question.

Sent from my motorola one zoom using Tapatalk

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems pretty reasonable to me that if your opponent pockets your last ball you can pocket the 8 in any pocket. After all the game is predicated on you pocketing the 8 in the pocket that you pocketed your last ball. If your opponent takes that option away from you then this appears to be a good rule.

boogieman

the whole idea of last pocket is to add strategy to the game. so why is so many trying to take that out of the game.
I enjoy playing either way, but being able to "put the screws" to your opponent is fun and just as strategic. If you don't want your opponent to put your ball in, don't let him have a chance. You can do this through shotmaking skill, but more than likely it will be strategy and 2 way shots that keep him from making your ball.

Honestly, either way is legit and fun, you just have to agree on the rules before you play.