lathe , Would this work and what tools would I need to just do shaft maintence and tips

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have my Guy who is about a hour or so away from me that does all my tip work. He is the best bar none and has been doing this for 40 plus years , But it just seems to be harder for me to get time to drive and I would like to be able to at least do my own tip work and shaft maintence only . I do not want to do anything else. My Sons and I play alot and this would save us time and money and gas . Would this lathe work and what tools would I need to only work on a shaft to clean and install a tip . Thanks

JC

Coos Cues
All you need for shaft maintenance is a driver in your joint size from Chris Hightower and a cordless drill. I did my own tips for many years with simple hand tools. With a little patience you can get results as nice as a lathe. Just takes a bit longer. Watch some you tube videos to get ideas of how people are doing it and with what. If you have the money and would like to play with it go ahead but it's not necessary.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This lathe had nice reviews and I wanted to know if you could use it for just shaft maintenance. Can I buy the extra piece’s needed to accommodate a shaft for tip replace etc

JC

Coos Cues
No that lathe is not up to the job you are trying to do. It's made for turning bowls with knives. Don't waste your money.

Pfs896

My 2 pennies....try replacing tips manually. I am not a craftsman or handy for that matter. Practiced on an old shaft. By the third attempt I was happy with the results. The first two attempts I was not patient enough. Now takes about 30 minutes. Youtube is a great resource.