league operator??

commswatch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anyone here ever operated a sanctioned league? BCA/APA/PotOgold/VNEA?
Key West lost it's only pool room 4 years ago (more of a huge dive bar with 6 GC-4's),
The last league that WAS here was over 15 years ago...and THAT league operator took the money and left town (no vegas trip for anyone).
I'm just wondering if it's worth the investment in your time. I personally dont care for leagues, but W/O a pool room w/in 140 miles, I'm not seeing any other options to engage in the social or competitive aspect of the game.

Thoughts anyone?

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Do you have experience running a tournament? Have you tried running a tournament and use that gauge potential participation?

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
You should be able to figure it out as you go, especially if you have a couple of good people around you.

commswatch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have run dozens of tourneys...but no more than 32 players. It's a small town of 35K, but 100's of bars and dozens of single and double table places throughout the island. I guess I'm afraid of biting off more than I can chew....get into it thinking 6 hrs a week, and it turns out to be 24 after I'm committed.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well if you're going to put that much time (or more) into a league, you'd better figure out how to get paid for it. Nobody I know works for free!

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I have run dozens of tourneys...but no more than 32 players. It's a small town of 35K, but 100's of bars and dozens of single and double table places throughout the island. I guess I'm afraid of biting off more than I can chew....get into it thinking 6 hrs a week, and it turns out to be 24 after I'm committed.

TCIndepMo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You said the town now has no "pool hall", but what about bars/lounges with pool tables? Are there enough to provide a team or two each so as to populate a full division (six teams minimum to start)?
Most location owners are not going to be against an activity that makes them money - like a pool league administered by someone else.
Call the APA at 636 625 8611 and ask for some help/guidance,
Good luck.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
This is true. You do not need to be sanctioned to run a league. Many franchise leagues offer a trip to 'nationals' in Las Vegas, or a regional tournament (Super Billiards Expo).

Unless you're part of the APA, you can't participate in the APA Nationals in Las Vegas. BCAPL and ACS sanctioning gives your league players an opportunity to play in those respective leagues Nationals, either on their own dime or as a trip prize.

BCAPL offers leaguesys as for online scorekeeping if you don't want to roll your own (shared googledrive and spreadsheet). Also membership gets you a rulesbook, pin/patch. You would have your league handicap scale, your house rules, and then rulebook.

You don't need to be sanctioned to run a league, just tables and players.

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Key West lost it's only pool room 4 years ago (more of a huge dive bar with 6 GC-4's),
The last league that WAS here was over 15 years ago...and THAT league operator took the money and left town (no vegas trip for anyone).
I'm just wondering if it's worth the investment in your time. I personally dont care for leagues, but W/O a pool room w/in 140 miles, I'm not seeing any other options to engage in the social or competitive aspect of the game.

Thoughts anyone?

I miss stick and stein being there.

c-money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thoughts anyone?

Go for it. About 11 years ago 5 of us started a BCA league in our city. The people like Glenna at BCA were awesome to deal with. Keep it simple and have fun. We did it as "players league" and didn't take a wage. The league is still operating successfully with a number of players doing stats and organisation.
qtimepool.com

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't have any experience, but I applaud you for considering actually doing something to improve the pool scene in your area. Once you've gathered all your data and (assuming it can be done with the time you will give it), pick the league you like the most or find easiest to deal with and go with it.

I agree with Scott Lee that you should include a fee for yourself - how much is up to you - to compensate you for dealing with the hassle. Someone posted something in an earlier thread about starting a league and making the finances transparent - an idea which I love.

Gideon

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Always thought key west would be a great place for a weeklong event. Thur - following sunday