LED light panels

ramw5p

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see some really coon new light designs using LED's...just $$$$. Anyone have luck using 1x4 led panels for pool light? Certain K rating [4k, 5k]. one 1x4 enough, using 2? Thinking of hanging my own and just seeing if someone has any experience. TIA

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used 3 2'x2' panels in a home made frame, can out real nice over a 9 footer.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see some really coon new light designs using LED's...just $$$$. Anyone have luck using 1x4 led panels for pool light? Certain K rating [4k, 5k]. one 1x4 enough, using 2? Thinking of hanging my own and just seeing if someone has any experience. TIA
This has been covered a bunch on here. Search led lights. Lots of info on this. https://forums.azbilliards.com/threadloom/search?keywords=LED+table+lights&tab=0 You can search by date or relevance. BTW, my home spot just up-graded to 5000k tubes from fluorescent and they are awesome.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used 3-2x2 led panels also in a home made box frame, with a grid under the light. Fantastic light with no glare for about $225 cost.Turned out great. This was for an oversized 8' table, but would still be great for 9'. At the cost of this I would not go with a 1x4 panel, but keep in mind that I had a woodworking shop to make the frame, so was simple for me. If you do a search on this forum, there is quite a few home built light boxes out there, and also some nice pre-made options that members have. I know my pictures are on here from about a year and a half back.

ramw5p

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used 3-2x2 led panels also in a home made box frame, with a grid under the light. Fantastic light with no glare for about $225 cost.Turned out great. This was for an oversized 8' table, but would still be great for 9'. At the cost of this I would not go with a 1x4 panel, but keep in mind that I had a woodworking shop to make the frame, so was simple for me. If you do a search on this forum, there is quite a few home built light boxes out there, and also some nice pre-made options that members have. I know my pictures are on here from about a year and a half back.
other then asthetics...is there a reason to build a box and not just hand the light panel

RunEmOut08

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have two 4x2 panels over my 9 foot table and it’s the best lighting I can play under.

ramw5p

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what are you using for diffuser? I see options, just curious what people find is working. I am thinking abut 2 [1x4] options. 9ft table

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The “K” rating is the temperature of the light. The higher the number the “whiter” the light.

So for pool I like 5k or 5000.

2500 is amber as a reference.

Fatboy

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The box makes adding a diffuser really easy and professional looking. It's not that difficult to make a simple box, even if you don't have a shop. You could use simple butt construction, or go buy a krieg jig to join the pieces. If you buy wood at home depot I think they will cut it for you. Then just put simple strip around the inside lower edge to hold the diffuser and light panels above that. Then spray it with a flat black chalk paint or color of choosing. A light is such a important and necessary accessory to a pool table that you really should put some time, or money or both into it to have a quality pool shooting experience. Good light can be reasonable in cost, or expensive, but at under $250 for a quality awesome light, there is no excuse for less.

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like I'd mentioned earlier, I used 3 2'x2' LED panels over a 9 foot table in a homemade wood frame (because it looked way nicer to me and it was a simple way to evenly line up 3 panes without welding them together). Result - Excellent, attractive, even, bright lighting. The LED panels (Home Depot, about $29/each a few years ago, probably cheaper now) came with a flat, white diffused 'glass' cover, another diffuser wasn't needed. Very even lighting and without any 'stripling' (whatever that is). Good luck with your project!

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used qty 2 2x4 led from eBay over my GC 9’. The lights were dirt cheap, I think maybe $140 shipped for both (I bought them 5 years ago). I used a surface mount kit from Amazon tgat was $30 and made of extruded aluminum painted white. The lights are flat mounted to my ceiling. I can’t imagine a blind player requesting a brighter set up than I have now.

MrKnives

Im houston you can get the same 5000k led panels for 60$.! I stumbled onto them and was surprised form what all I’ve seen online. The name of the place was Advanced LED lights

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
one, two tube 4 foot daylight 5000k led, in a fixture from home depot. lights my 9 footer fine. but i have all white paint in my room above the wainscoat.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you buy the 2x2 or 2x4 panels for drop ceilings (which are the most common light available), you don't need a diffuser. Its build into the panel. Here are the flush mount kits if you want to go that route. Or, simply hang with a thin wire-rope.

It shows out of stock. But I'm sure you can find them somewhere. I bought this in 2019 it was $30. I wanted my light flush to the ceiling for aesthetics.

I also bought this light: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HJ56DB9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I used it for a shop space. I think it would work for a pool table. Slightly smaller than a 2x4, but it has wireless remote control for color temperature and brightness. Sometimes I think my 2x4 lights over the pool table are too bright.

They now also sell the 2x4 drop ceiling lights with a wireless dimmer and color temperature adjustment, for only a 20% or 30% premium price over the standard 2x4 panels. Just a few years ago, you had to have a 0-10v signal cable from the switch to the light to adjust the brightness. All the commercial buildings are wired this way. But now they have a wireless option. So you just wire the light to 110v, and control the brightness and color temp from the remote control. If I was to do my lights again, I'd go this option. I might even swap out my panels now for this option and take my old panels to goodwill, as it really is too bright at night if I want the lights on but not to play pool (shared space).

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry but after reading everyone's comments, I need to correct what I wrote as it totally misrepresents what I ment. When I said diffuser, what I actually ment was a grid panel to cut down on any possible glare in your eyes. The 2x2 led panels do not need an additional diffuser as they are a total even light across them unlike tubes. Guess I really need to reread what I wrote before I post it.