Lefties

LWD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems to me that the percentage of left-handed pool players is way higher than the percentage of left-handers in the general population. Could this be true? Any explanations?

Player

I'm your huckleberry
Silver Member
It seems to me that the percentage of left-handed pool players is way higher than the percentage of left-handers in the general population. Could this be true? Any explanations?

Never thought about it much but I guess there is somewhere around 20% lefties around here that play pool. Not sure what the percentage is in the general population though.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

Although I think this isn't true, the stream on Turning Stone right now (9PM Eastern) has four lefties: Rodney, Jason, Tommy D (Shorty), and Dennis H.

But, no, I think it's the same percentage. Lefties just look different, so you notice it, IMO.

Freddie <~~~ notices it

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Lack of left handed cues also explains why I, as a leftie, have to shoot upside down with my feet on the ceiling so that when I shoot the cuemakers engraving (when it is applied horizontally on the cue) appears right-side up to people who are watching me shoot.

I had my nickname engraved on one of my first cues and the manufacturer of course engraved it from the rear towards the front of the cue and so it is upside down to anyone looking at it when I shoot left-handed. So now I shoot upside down when I use that cue. Otherwise people start calling me "ypmiL milS".

Move to Australia....problem solved.

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
I would give my left number for a cue that has a steering wheel on left hand side, no offense to amputees.

Dad had an old Isetta, I believe the wheel was closer to center, but it was like 4' at the bough, so who knows.

I tried a cue that Steve Abear mad from a Szam blank. He swore it had autopilot.

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
I do everything left handed with the exception of playing pool, which I do right handed

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seen on Google:
As of 2014, three out of the last four presidents have been left-handed. Counting as far back as Truman, the number is five (or seven, if the two ambidextrous presidents are included) out of twelve. In the 1992 election, all three major candidates, George H. W. Bush, Bill Clinton and Ross Perot, were left-handed.

(To my knowledge, Obama's the only occasional pool player within the above referenced left-handed presidents.)

Arnaldo

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I do everything left handed with the exception of playing pool, which I do right handed

You're in good company....
..Cliff Thorburn, the only Canuck to win the world snooker championship, is left handed..
...plays golf and snooker right handed.

LWD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lefties Revisited

I still haven't given up on this idea.

Yesterday I was attending the finals of the Diamond Pool Tour event here in Tucson (won by Scott Frost--no surprise). I happened to notice that 5 of the 16 finalists were left-handed players. This equates to 31% and since the percent of left handers in the population is only 10%, this means that lefties were more than three times their expected percentage.

Now I realize:
A) This is a very small sample, and
B) If it proves anything it might be that lefties are better than right-handed players on average. (There were 64 players in the event but I did not attend the first day so I didn't have a chance to sample the larger group.)

Maybe somebody who plays in a large league could take a larger sample. I still (seriously) think there might be something to this.

app4dstn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
interesting to see some other instances of cross-handedness. i play LH, and do most innate/unlearned actions (ie brush teeth and shave, skateboard/surf goofy foot) LH, but all other trained actions are RH (sports, writing, musical instruments). the people i have met playing pool are surprised to learn i'm actually a righty.

very small sample size here, but ... i've observed maybe 75 or so league players in the last year and only 4 lefties. i would've thought i'd see more like the 10-ish percent of the general population.

i tell ya, i can't lag against a LH male opponent. i'm social, but getting into that configuration is not how i want to meet new people.