lemon wood shafts

Has any cue makers made any shafts out of lemon wood I saw this some where but don't remember what cue maker does it for his break cues and I also seen a cue maker use a olive wood incert in a shaft what ya think of this .

1-pocket-player

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
matthew staton said:
Has any cue makers made any shafts out of lemon wood I saw this some where but don't remember what cue maker does it for his break cues and I also seen a cue maker use a olive wood incert in a shaft what ya think of this .
I thought I once saw a Ned Morris sneaky pete with an olivewood insert on eBay. I could be mistaken though. I have seen a lot eBay listings with incorrect descriptions.

(On a side note Ned makes a great playing cue)

-Andy

Last edited:

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1-pocket-player said:
I thought I once saw a Ned Morris sneaky pete with an olivewood insert on eBay. I could be mistaken though.

-Andy

A lot of people do different things to cues to make theirs stand apart from others, However, I don't believe anyone wood consider putting Olive wood in a shaft as it is both expensive and very unstable.
Dick

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
matthew staton said:

Years ago, when Danny Janes and Billy Stroud were partners they supposedly offered a lemon wood shaft as an option. The ones that I saw looked identical to Ramin wood.
Dick

Last edited:

bob griffin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Madison Bob

rhncue said:
Years ago, when Danny Janes and Billy Stroud were partners they supposedly offered a lemon wood shaft as an option. The ones that I saw looked identical to Ramin wood.
Dick

DICKIE i once thought of hedge apple for a shaft its reasonably priced and some is striaght grained and its hard as a morning wood if you know what i mean. but its some ugly stuff but looks good in small inlay work. what do you think dickie??? MADISON BOB CUSTOM CUES :D

Run the Century

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Burt Schrager offers then (I actually had 3 shafts made from him - one made of Lemonwood). If you want to see how it looks go to the Proficient Billiards website and you can see it in the refinishing section and look under Schrager). It is a very different color - some may say ugly). If you talk to Stroud and many of the old time cue-makers - many well tell you it is a superior wood but most customers want the pristine white shaft look. I can tell you it hits good.

Birk1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also have a lemon wood shaft for my schrager ( also pictured in the gallery section of Scott's site, the snakewood cue, Bert just doesnt use a great finish on his cues, almost like Krylon sprayed and buffed a little) I like the way it plays, very solid- firmer if you will than maple. I find it doesnt chalk stain or spider like maple does. plays like old growth maple would be my best take on it.

Run the Century

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep

Birk1 said:
I also have a lemon wood shaft for my schrager ( also pictured in the gallery section of Scott's site, the snakewood cue, Bert just doesnt use a great finish on his cues, almost like Krylon sprayed and buffed a little) I like the way it plays, very solid- firmer if you will than maple. I find it doesnt chalk stain or spider like maple does. plays like old growth maple would be my best take on it.

You are right on the money - he makes a great cue but his finish is really bad (I still havent played with mine). I immediately sent it to Scott for a refinish. You will want to hold on to yours - if you didnt know Burt is no longer making cues. He as Alziemers and last I heard he had been hospitalized. His cue making days are over. I imagine you had to wait 3 times longer than he estimated too huh?

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
That is exactly correct. Those petes were a group Ned had made for me (I'm waiting on another group). Ned uses the olivewood inserts in the shaft because he believes the threads hold up better than maple.

Martin

1-pocket-player said:
I thought I once saw a Ned Morris sneaky pete with an olivewood insert on eBay. I could be mistaken though. I have seen a lot eBay listings with incorrect descriptions.

-Andy

1-pocket-player

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jazznpool said:
That is exactly correct. Those petes were a group Ned had made for me (I'm waiting on another group). Ned uses the olivewood inserts in the shaft because he believes the threads hold up better than maple.

Martin
I thought I was right about those cues (I almost bought one buy the way...) I heard that olivewood is very dense and strong so using it for an insert made sense to me.
Martin- PM me when you get more of those Morris sneakies Ned makes a great playing cue.

-Andy :)

Birk1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Run the Century said:
You are right on the money - he makes a great cue but his finish is really bad (I still havent played with mine). I immediately sent it to Scott for a refinish. You will want to hold on to yours - if you didnt know Burt is no longer making cues. He as Alziemers and last I heard he had been hospitalized. His cue making days are over. I imagine you had to wait 3 times longer than he estimated too huh?

too bad.... I didnt know that about bert- I knew he was sick. He was sick for about 2 years while my cue was on order- your right, I placed the order (8-01) and was told it would take 3 monthes ( surprised with that estimate) and 2 years later my cue was delivered (8-03) and one month later sent it to Scott for refinish or in this case finish. But the cue is solid and I see why he is a legend, the cue has amazing feel to the hit, plays GREAT. He is also great to talk to, called me a couple of times and just told stories about the 'good ole days' of pool and billiards. Bert is a legend, would love to see his 'family tree' of cue making influence - like padgett, buss, pfd etc.....

Run the Century

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Amen Birk

Schrager is one of the nicest guys you will ever come accross. I got to meet him in person when I was a kid growing up in Southern CA. He took me and my girlfriend around his shop and gave me the tour of cuebuilding (which is why I do it today). We sat around and talked about pool and he told me pool stories. He is one of the few guys I know that TRULY has a passion for his work and other than his finish - his cues are AMAZING. That day I ordered a sneaky pete from him (I was a poor college student and that was all I could afford) but I swore one day I would have one of the nicer cues like he showed me that day and the day I got my MBA - I ordered that ebony and ivory cue from him. He still calls me from time to time.

Cant say enough about what a first class buy Bert is.

jazznpool said:

Martin

let me no when ya get these hustler cues in I may want to get one from ya. thank you

lignum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what species is it ?

Here in Australia we have a local species of wood known as Lemonwood (Dolichandrone heterophylla) , does anyone know what species you guy's are talking about ?
I gather it isn't from a Lemon tree but have to ask anyway :rolleyes:

Bazz