Less expensive or old cues that play surprisingly good

I have a old Schmelke Cue that plays surprisingly good.

It hits nice and solid, follows and draws with precision, and deflection is predictable and consistent.

I replace the elk master tip as needed and is a joy to play with.

Granted, I am not the best pool player in the room but I am respectable and have a great time every time I play.

I have tried other pool cues, own a good collection from various cue makers for use on my table in the basement, and even have a couple of highly desirable custom cues from respected custom cue makers but the good old Schmelke with its brass joint made from surplus plumbing parts works best for me.

Its the "Feel".

I have used high dollar cues, Predator, Meucci, Lucasi, even a Schon, and if I preferred one of them over my Schmelke I would have purchased one by now.

Maybe I am not good enough or experienced enough to "Feel" the superiority of the high cost cues but I do not get it.

And Carbon Fiber feels almost "Dead" to me.

Good old Maple for me although some of the British snooker cues with Ash are interesting.

Anybody else have a favorite cue that does not have the pedigree or bloodline that attracts the attention of the billiard snobs?

9ballhasbeen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you tried a Cuetec Cynergy? I had issues with REVO's, but the Cynergy has very positive feel and feedback, plus the benefits of carbon for about $550. For the price, I don't think you'll find a better performing cue, but thats' just my opinion.

middleofnowhere

Registered
I have a old Schmelke Cue that plays surprisingly good.

It hits nice and solid, follows and draws with precision, and deflection is predictable and consistent.

I replace the elk master tip as needed and is a joy to play with.

Granted, I am not the best pool player in the room but I am respectable and have a great time every time I play.

I have tried other pool cues, own a good collection from various cue makers for use on my table in the basement, and even have a couple of highly desirable custom cues from respected custom cue makers but the good old Schmelke with its brass joint made from surplus plumbing parts works best for me.

Its the "Feel".

I have used high dollar cues, Predator, Meucci, Lucasi, even a Schon, and if I preferred one of them over my Schmelke I would have purchased one by now.

Maybe I am not good enough or experienced enough to "Feel" the superiority of the high cost cues but I do not get it.

And Carbon Fiber feels almost "Dead" to me.

Good old Maple for me although some of the British snooker cues with Ash are interesting.

Anybody else have a favorite cue that does not have the pedigree or bloodline that attracts the attention of the billiard snobs?
While you may find a low end cue you like, it is mostly chance. The way they are produced does not lend itself to consistent quality. Especially when it comes to shaft wood.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
All business

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211024-203703_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211024-203703_Gallery.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 191

mark187

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Predator Roadline with a couple of 314-2 shafts. Picked up for under $300 new about 10 years ago. Plays as well as anything else I've had

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
J&J sneaky. 75bux. Main player or bar nite back-up these are great cues for so little $.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
The Adams sneaky the wife got me back in the very early 80's branded a Richard Weir cue from Texas ($100.00) is one I'll never trade-off. Not just the sentimental value but it plays as well as any cue I've owned. It's also in pristine condition and I use it about 30-40% of the time. Less in pool halls than at home because of the innocent walk-off factor. Be it home or hall, no one uses my player cues so that I remain "dentless". :rolleyes:

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He doesn't make them. They're imports made for his supply co.....
(edited to be kinder)

Ok, thank you for correcting what was meant to be a brief description meant to convey an understandable point. For those who care about the minutia (obviously garczar), Nick has sneaky petes manufactured to his standard by a company in china, with the Nick Varner brand. He has done business with this manufacturer for many years, and the fit/finish of these cues is excellent for the price asked. He then wholesales his cues to various retailers around the country. For a cheap price you can have a great playing cue!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No sh*t, sherlock.

Ok, let me clarify - Nick has sneaky petes available which are manufactured to his standard which he then wholesales to various retailers around the country. For a cheap price you can have a great playing cue.
One's i've seen are about like a Players. Decent Chinese cue for the $.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One's i've seen are about like a Players. Decent Chinese cue for the $.
I purchased the most high end cue Nick Varner offers from my friends at CUE AND CUSHION...simply to support Nick's brand and to have one in the bag. C & C sells a TON of Nick Varner cues. They are great playing cues. They are definitely a step above PLAYERS.

I've maybe played with it twice, but it feels great. It's pointed/inlayed/decorated/leather wrap/layered tip. I think it retailed for around $500ish. It really is a ton of cue for the money you pay and could last me a lifetime if I wanted to make it my soul player. For a lot less you could get one of Nick's Sneaky Petes and have a great player as well!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I purchased the most high end cue Nick Varner offers from my friends at CUE AND CUSHION...simply to support Nick's brand and to have one in the bag. C & C sells a TON of Nick Varner cues. They are great playing cues. They are definitely a step above PLAYERS.

I've maybe played with it twice, but it feels great. It's pointed/inlayed/decorated/leather wrap/layered tip. I think it retailed for around $500ish. It really is a ton of cue for the money you pay and could last me a lifetime if I wanted to make it my soul player. For a lot less you could get one of Nick's Sneaky Petes and have a great player as well!
All i can go by is what i've seen. Another Asian import.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Relax man. I'm glad you like your stick. The one's i've seen are just another generic Asian import. Not a knock, just an observation. No way any of them are worth $500.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've played with many cues in the last 60 years (good god!)and the $230 Schmelke I now have plays very good.
Not a fancy or big name cue but gets the job done.