LET GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
again... releasing the cue at the point of contact or millimeters prior to, will produce none of the claimed benefits of a slip stroke (throw).

The point is to eliminate the potential stroking errors during the "push" portion of the stroke. If this is not the case, and I have it all wrong. Please someone explain what possible benefit comes from letting the cue slide through you hand once you've made contact with the ball.
For me the benefit is "Touch"

John

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
where we can customize cues so easily
why not figure out what works best for us
and employ it?
Hey no harm no foul... I just meant to say that tweaking a cue's balance point in my opinion is waaaaay down on the list of things a player should be focusing on if trying to improve their game. Now if it's a matter of comfort, then that's cool as well, but lets not pretend there's some kind of secret sauce being applied.

I'd be willing to bet that I could shift the balance point +/-3" away from the norm and a player couldn't locate it by merely shooting balls around.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
For me the benefit is "Touch"

John
So I'm not misunderstanding you... You're saying that you have greater touch when letting go of the cue...? What exactly do you mean when using the word "touch"...?

My apologies for asking for clarity. Unfortunately I have never been active on another forum that has such a subjective use of the english language.

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I'm not misunderstanding you... You're saying that you have greater touch when letting go of the cue...? What exactly do you mean when using the word "touch"...?

My apologies for asking for clarity. Unfortunately I have never been active on another forum that has such a subjective use of the english language.
(Touch) Feel for the cue, cue ball and shot.
This is the best I can define "Touch".

John

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
(Touch) Feel for the cue, cue ball and shot.
This is the best I can define "Touch".

John
You answer is a little sprayed about. "Touch" in as in tactile feedback from the cue / CB makes sense as there is a mechanical coupling going on during the shot. "Touch" for the shot, is a little grey. Not sure how it applies and/or describes anything.

If I was to apply the actual definition of the word touch to your comments then I would find it odd that you claim the tactile feedback from the cue is increased when you have released it from your grip. I would agree that the lack of grip would allow external variables to effect the cue in a greater manner. Not entirely sure how you senses (touch) would pick up on those active variables as the cue is sliding through your hand.

Just so we're on the same page. I focused on the use of the word 'touch' because I have seen it used to describe one's ability to finely control the CB. Wasn't sure if that's what you were getting at.

I appreciate you taking the time to explain your thoughts

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My inadequate articulation of the exact 'point of impact' doesn't equate to a selling of snake oil but I will try to clarify.

In a free swinging pendulum, the highest point of speed is at the vertical axis. So to 'accelerate' through the cue ball you must make contact just prior to getting to that point, not after.

If you are 'muscling' for acceleration after the the forearm passed vertical, you are much more likely to have steering issues.

These are two very different stroke techniques and both are seen everywhere. However the first technique is the type that looks effortless while delivering plenty of power and control.

I entered this discussion giving my opinion on how I understand the throwing motion and how in virtually all cases the mass of an object thrown is typically behind the elbow, wrist, or hand and that adding mass in the back of the cue can be beneficial especially in building good muscle memory for pulling into the shot.

Try this experiment-
at address start with a soft shot and as you begin your forward stroke accelerate to as fast as you can.
do it once with a mental image of pulling through the acceleration and then do it with a mental image of pushing through the acceleration.

My guess is most people will have better control thinking pull rather than push regardless of a slip or no slip grip.
Maybe I'm being simplistic here but what about the idea that the grip hand is pulling the portion of the cue that's behind it and pushing the portion that's in front of it?

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Maybe I'm being simplistic here but what about the idea that the grip hand is pulling the portion of the cue that's behind it and pushing the portion that's in front of it?
lol... interesting. Sounds like a discussion board for episode of the 'Big Bang Theory'.

If I was to make a completely uneducated comment. I'd say the weight behind the grip hand is pushing the equalivent weight in front of the grip hand, and the remaining weight behind the grip is being actively pulled by the player....?

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey no harm no foul... I just meant to say that tweaking a cue's balance point in my opinion is waaaaay down on the list of things a player should be focusing on if trying to improve their game. Now if it's a matter of comfort, then that's cool as well, but lets not pretend there's some kind of secret sauce being applied.

I'd be willing to bet that I could shift the balance point +/-3" away from the norm and a player couldn't locate it by merely shooting balls around.
well, it's "sauce" in that how comfortable a cue feels is obviously important to how it plays
exactly *because* we're the ones controlling the cue..
I'll give you that balance point is relatively important in that respect
for instance-
I have short arms
and can only reach so far back while being able to maintain a healthy bridge length
that means I'm stuck with more weight behind my butt hand- if I want it, or not-

I agree that if your butt hand is far enough back on the cue,
balance point won't matter as much- because all the cue weight is (easily) in front of your hand
but for some folks, it might make more of a difference
so if you and I are ever in the same room, I might just take your bet..
(and it might be the only one I'd have a chance at winning ^_^)

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Interesting
Dont know what it means but
When i let go i feel like i am pulling the cue
When i stroke i feel more like i am pushing all the way thru
I am using an exaggerated pause now to help slow my swing
Its very weird to differentiate its so subtle
One last comment to surftopics
All throws have a release
Where the object is thrown
Just sayin
My inadequate articulation of the exact 'point of impact' doesn't equate to a selling of snake oil but I will try to clarify.

In a free swinging pendulum, the highest point of speed is at the vertical axis. So to 'accelerate' through the cue ball you must make contact just prior to getting to that point, not after.

If you are 'muscling' for acceleration after the the forearm passed vertical, you are much more likely to have steering issues.

These are two very different stroke techniques and both are seen everywhere. However the first technique is the type that looks effortless while delivering plenty of power and control.

I entered this discussion giving my opinion on how I understand the throwing motion and how in virtually all cases the mass of an object thrown is typically behind the elbow, wrist, or hand and that adding mass in the back of the cue can be beneficial especially in building good muscle memory for pulling into the shot.

Try this experiment-
at address start with a soft shot and as you begin your forward stroke accelerate to as fast as you can.
do it once with a mental image of pulling through the acceleration and then do it with a mental image of pushing through the acceleration.

My guess is most people will have better control thinking pull rather than push regardless of a slip or no slip grip.

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting
Dont know what it means but
When i let go i feel like i am pulling the cue
When i stroke i feel more like i am pushing all the way thru
I am using an exaggerated pause now to help slow my swing
Its very weird to differentiate its so subtle
One last comment to surftopics
All throws have a release
Where the object is thrown
Just sayin
Happy to read your giving it a try Larry. Once you get the hang of it you'll never go back to physically pushing the cue and cue ball.

In case you may be having an issue with "when to release" the cue I want to offer some guidance.
At cue ball address, when your down on the shot and the cue tip is very close to the cue ball and your forearm is vertical.........that is the release point of the cue. In other words when you pull the cue forward your forearm will stop at the release point, your holding of the cue will relax and the cue will slide forward in your grip hand. It will continue to slide until you decide to stop the forward travel of the cue. Stopping the forward travel of the cue is shot dependent and will very from shot to shot.
It's going to take about a month of concentrated effort on your part everyday but soon you'll start doing it without thought.

John :)

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Happy to read your giving it a try Larry. Once you get the hang of it you'll never go back to physically pushing the cue and cue ball.

In case you may be having an issue with "when to release" the cue I want to offer some guidance.
At cue ball address, when your down on the shot and the cue tip is very close to the cue ball and your forearm is vertical.........that is the release point of the cue. In other words when you pull the cue forward your forearm will stop at the release point, your holding of the cue will relax and the cue will slide forward in your grip hand. It will continue to slide until you decide to stop the forward travel of the cue. Stopping the forward travel of the cue is shot dependent and will very from shot to shot.
It's going to take about a month of concentrated effort on your part everyday but soon you'll start doing it without thought.

i have no trouble with release point when i do it
like bowling you know when to open up
:)

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

whether its a push or a pull is like is it a vase or 2 faces looking at each other
rubin vase.png

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This push/pull thing. You push with your palms and triceps; pull with your fingers and biceps. Which term is a tactile perception.
or preception
unless stuff is behind you
or you do it backwards
or not...

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
well, I didn't think he was a current world champ :)
I know he won a us open..which world title did he win tho?
He won the U.S. Open 1-pocket and the 9-ball, but he did lose to Nick Varner in the finals of the WPA World 9-ball tournament. Wasn't he ranked #1 in the world at one time?

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He won the U.S. Open 1-pocket and the 9-ball, but he did lose to Nick Varner in the finals of the WPA World 9-ball tournament. Wasn't he ranked #1 in the world at one time?
could be..not sure
jeremy's had a pretty nice-looking career tho..couple us opens nothing to sneeze at
he still plays good pool, commentates and coaches well..got a lot of respect for jj.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
If only that were possible.... I know a few guys that are desperate to become strong at this game. Does the level of desire determine the amount of inlay work...?

Says the pool instructor...lol. Sorry, I don't mean to be a dick, but that comment is a hair self serving don't ya think...? ;)

You are completely right though. I encourage local players to seek out professional instruction all the time. We have a couple that do make themselves available in our town from time to time. I think it's $40-50 for an hour of a professional's time. That's a steal. When I was cutting my teeth I would have had to donate 4 times that in action and hope it took them at least an hour to win my money...lol.

My schedule hasn't manage to jive yet, but I intend on ponying up $100 just to play sets for a couple of hours. I'll save hundreds and reap the benefit of asking how I should play a shot to beat him. Doesn't get better than that.....lol
No, I'm talking about upping one's game with a cue fitting and a quality cue by a skilled craftsman (or if you like the hit, a skilled factory), and it could be a sneaky Pete for all I care, with no inlays.

No, it wasn't self-serving, not even a hair. I didn't say "First lesson free (which it is!) so hit me up with a PM." I said "good instructor."

I am a great instructor and a good instructor, and this sentence and the prior are a tad self-serving. :)

:) :)

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
No, I'm talking about upping one's game with a cue fitting and a quality cue by a skilled craftsman (or if you like the hit, a skilled factory), and it could be a sneaky Pete for all I care, with no inlays.
Ok, but what you said was a player's "cue can be fit to a player's desire, skill, etc". I just found humour in a cue's build emulating a player's desire for the game, is all.

As far as, encouraging a player to seek out an instructor... I couldn't agree more. I relied on getting my ass kicked for years to learn the game. I much rather would have paid for direct instruction....lol.