Leveling a table

HouseMan

~o^-
Silver Member
I have to reinstall my table after a new carpet install. I'm good with putting everything back together and I've also recovered tables before in a previous life. Those tables though were all already leveled and there is my problem. If someone could share their leveling procedure that would be a big help? Also, all I have right now is a torpedo level that obviously won't cut it. Can someone suggest a proper level that won't break the bank or an alternative that's low-cost?
thanks, Bryan

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
Leveling the frame without the slates on as close as you can get it will give you a good start. Set the slates on and don't fasten them yet, let it set for a few days and settle into the carpet, then re-level again. Shim your slates up level afterward and you should be good to go.

tsp&b

Silver Member
Here is what you are looking for

If you will search this Forum for this thread you will find one of the best detailed set of instructions for properly seting and leveling three piece slates I've ever read. "Finished instructions for installing and leveling 3-piece slates" :)

HouseMan

~o^-
Silver Member
selftaut said:
Leveling the frame without the slates on as close as you can get it will give you a good start. Set the slates on and don't fasten them yet, let it set for a few days and settle into the carpet, then re-level again. Shim your slates up level afterward and you should be good to go.

Thanks for your info. I've been busy pulling up 1500 sq ft of wet carpeting and repainting after a sump pump failure last week. I can use all the help I can get, Thanks again!

HouseMan

~o^-
Silver Member
tsp&b said:
If you will search this Forum for this thread you will find one of the best detailed set of instructions for properly seting and leveling three piece slates I've ever read. "Finished instructions for installing and leveling 3-piece slates" :)

I should have tried this first, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. :)

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
Starret brand level or sometimes you find one on Craigslist or ebay.

Were are you located?

Craig

HouseMan

~o^-
Silver Member
n10spool said:
Starret brand level or sometimes you find one on Craigslist or ebay.

Were are you located?

Craig

I'm on the east coast, Balt/DC area. I'm gonna use a BFL from home depot.

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
lol wont work....

you can use the big f#$king level for the frame but totaly no good for the slate. You need a machinest level for the slates.

I don't know of anyone in your area might check the mechanics section above. I do know that Glen Realkingcobra is heading up to your area not sure when exactly but he has a few Diamond Tables to deliver, He is one of the best if not the best in the industry.

You can pay a pro $300+ or buy $300+ in tools to try and do the same thing and never use most of the tools again for several years.

Craig

HouseMan

~o^-
Silver Member
n10spool said:
lol wont work....

you can use the big f#$king level for the frame but totaly no good for the slate. You need a machinest level for the slates.

I don't know of anyone in your area might check the mechanics section above. I do know that Glen Realkingcobra is heading up to your area not sure when exactly but he has a few Diamond Tables to deliver, He is one of the best if not the best in the industry.

You can pay a pro $300+ or buy $300+ in tools to try and do the same thing and never use most of the tools again for several years.

Craig

I got the insurance guy coming tomorrow. A $300 bill would be welcomed compared with the other ones I have laying around here.

I will speak with Glen and see if his trip out here will coincide with my stuff.

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
Glen is worth the wait I am not sure exactly what he charges but it's the best money you can spend. I spent a week with Glen fine tunning what I knew about tables in 10+ years and still learned a few new things.

Best of luck,
Craig

HouseMan

~o^-
Silver Member
I put the table back together a few days ago after some new carpet was installed. I leveled the frame first, had to shim a couple of legs. Got the slates on and had to shim the center slate in a couple of locations to get them level all around. I waxed the seams, shaved them flush and reinstalled the cloth and rails. I took my time and didn't rush.

I used a 3 ft carpenter's level and laid that thing every which way I could. I shimmed until I got center bubble everywhere. I've played about twenty racks on it since and I can report that the balls are rolling true, no veering left or right at any speed and no speed bumps at the slate seams lol. Thanks to everyone that took the time to HELP. It is very much appreciated.:thumbup:

bryan

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
Cool Cool Glad to see a short basic level worked for you I have gotten lucky with a carpenters level it does work just takes alot of extrra time.

So which do you think was worse moving the slate or using the level?

Craig

HouseMan

~o^-
Silver Member
n10spool said:
Cool Cool Glad to see a short basic level worked for you I have gotten lucky with a carpenters level it does work just takes alot of extrra time.

So which do you think was worse moving the slate or using the level?

Craig

Those slates are heavy. I got help from my wife moving them around. Luckily she was strong enough to hold up her end. I told her you make sure her fingers were aligned to the cutouts or she'd get a pinch she would never forget or me either I'm sure. lol. I had a furniture dolly so we put one slate on top of another with folded moving blankets in between each. They then rolled away easily.

Using the level just took some patience and a lot of small corrections and a lot of rechecks around the table. I found a rubber mallet to be a nice tool to have around when first aligning the slates and getting them snug together. I also had a semi circle chalk line across the slates to make sure they went back in the same original order.

Bryan

Last edited:

Cuephoric

1hole anyone?
Silver Member
Sounds like you got everything pretty much in order-
If I asked my wife to help me with a table, I cannot even imagine the response I would get.
Actually I can imagine it, although I don't think her response would constitute as an offer......lol

smokey

let's roll
Silver Member
Cuephoric said:
Sounds like you got everything pretty much in order-
If I asked my wife to help me with a table, I cannot even imagine the response I would get.
Actually I can imagine it, although I don't think her response would constitute as an offer......lol

i am really sorry to say, but i can not believe your table is as level as it can be. i have done many things in life and when i did them the second time, i realized there is always a lot to learn. and then the third time and so on.

just my opinion. but if you are happy, so be it,
smokey

POOLGODBEWITHME

Tom "B" player
Silver Member
Even with instructions and the equipment, you won't be able to get as level as the pros.
866-379-8983
Authorized Diamond Mechanic

I disagree with Donny. I by no means am a pro and I was able to get my slate level within .003" over the entire surface of the table. (thats +-.0015") I followed RKC's instructions posted here on az. I also may have cheated a little bit by bringing home a $600.00 level and 2 precision ground parallels (one 4' one 8') from work. I work in probably the most state of the art machine shop in the country and deal with tight tolerances everyday (+-.0002"). I'm not saying anyone can do this, but you don't have to be a pro to get a table level. Its the other details that seperate you pro's from the average joe, Covering rails, laying bed cloth, pocket work, ect. I wouldn't attempt to do these things or profess to be able to, I know these items are to be done by a pro. But making a table level, with the right tools and understanding it can be done. Also if I can have that done for my tech before he gets there and he knows in about 2 minutes with his starrett that I did a good job, isn't that a little bit of a load off?

Thanks for all you guys do, I appreciate a good playing table.
,Tom

Last edited: