Leveling questioned answered!

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some may remember my dilemma if not please read to know why I did what I did.http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=26242&highlight=leveling+question

Well I did, it I put levelers on my pool table's legs. I was concerned about how to do it. And with careful investigation on finding a company that sold the type of levelers I needed, along with T-nuts the size of the bolt of the levelers 1/2"-13 (I could not find this size in any hardware store).

Then I new that added the hieght of the levelers would make the table too high (about 1-1/4") so I had to figure a way to lop of that much of the legs and make it look good, oh and I have S#$@ for wood working tools. Well I found a co-worker that had what I needed, and away I went. And the discs that I had my iron worker friend cut for me had to be cut from 15" to 8" because they were too wide to let the wait of the table settle them in. So look and see what you think!

Do you see them in the first picture

And please spare me the critisism on hacking up my legs because it looks good to me and I don't care about resale value, It's mine for good.

Attachments

• 101_0324.JPG
    101_0324.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 530
  • 101_0325.JPG
    101_0325.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 514
  • 101_0326.JPG
    101_0326.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 497
Last edited:

NineBallNut

Silver Member
nice job

Way to be creative. That will make keeping your table level a snap!.. The only other way I've done it on legs like that was to get a set of levelers about the same diameter but thicker in mass, drill and inset them inside the leg so they would not be seen. A little trick I was shown at my brunswick training seminar. It looks like you did a real nice job with that.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
NineBallNut said:
Way to be creative. That will make keeping your table level a snap!.. The only other way I've done it on legs like that was to get a set of levelers about the same diameter but thicker in mass, drill and inset them inside the leg so they would not be seen. A little trick I was shown at my brunswick training seminar. It looks like you did a real nice job with that.

I tried to invision in my mind other ways, like a hole saw but jow would I get a 3 inch hole with a slot to adjust and be able to have the the hole go deep enough to except the leveler and to be able to remove the 3 inch piece of wood. i don't know of a hole saw like that.

GADawg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks good to me.

Only way I would know to do it with a hole saw is to cut it as deep as you want with the hole saw, chisel out the hole and then put a round metel disc inside the hole for the top of the leveler to rest on.

Your way look perfectly fine to me though.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
GADawg said:
Looks good to me.

Only way I would know to do it with a hole saw is to cut it as deep as you want with the hole saw, chisel out the hole and then put a round metel disc inside the hole for the top of the leveler to rest on.

Your way look perfectly fine to me though.

Thank you, I appreciate your admiration

rackem

SUPPORT CLUB MEMBERSHIP
Silver Member
I am wondering are the small disc and the large disc attached to each other?

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rackem said:
I am wondering are the small disc and the large disc attached to each other?

No; I actually thought of the large disc's first, this is when I origanally had them at 15", then I desided to go with the levelers. I could have got stainless steel levelers like the disc's then weld them together. But this seems to work good, the large disc's were strictly to dispersre the wieght more on the floor benieth the carpet.

rackem

SUPPORT CLUB MEMBERSHIP
Silver Member
Well, I do hope that it works out for you this way. We tried something similar at my friends house. We thought putting a metal disc under each leg would disperce weight over the carpet. What we found was that believe it or not the table over time actually slide on the discs. We had to take them out.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rackem said:
Well, I do hope that it works out for you this way. We tried something similar at my friends house. We thought putting a metal disc under each leg would disperce weight over the carpet. What we found was that believe it or not the table over time actually slide on the discs. We had to take them out.

What did you use, was it a slate table(as apposed to wood or slatron). The disc's I have are very course brushed Stainless steel and it gives it a ruff texture to prevent it from sliding. I suppose if it did start moving I could just put some pieces of rubber under the levelers.

redwolf88

Registered
Wow ! That is exactly what I want to do. I thought I would replace legs with 4X4 , but I really like the look that you came up with. I did try to do a search on this subject, but the search engine really lacks specific string search functions. Thanks for the reply!!

magnetardo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's not how a T-nut works, if you go to raise one of the legs it could just spin in the leg. A threaded insert would've been more appropriate.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you have a pic of how the threaded bar touches the wood? Will the wood compress? Although if the wood compresses I guess you can just level again.

Like it.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
With a lot of time at home on my hands, I've been doing a lot of fix-it projects so I've been thinking about this sort of thing. This might work without removing any leg material.

The basic idea is to use two equal round plates. The lower plate is solid. The upper plate has three threaded holes. Screws through the holes will raise the upper plate.

To avoid sliding, the lower plate could have shallow (blind) holes drilled to match the screw locations. The upper plate could have a through-hole drilled in the center to match a vertical pin that would be set into the center of the leg. The pin would float.

I suppose it would need a cover for appearance.

CropperCapture[523].png