Linseed oil and super glue

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Maybe I took the subject off course...If I did no apologies for contributing. Opinions are opinions usually from personal experience. They are not "The" answer.
I'm not cue maker but can do quality tipping, ferrules, accurate pinning and some refinishing, current working on my first house cue conversion. I have no issue asking a stupid question and maybe replying with a stupid answer sometimes..... That is my best learning tool...that and mistakes. Otherwise how do we grow and learn.
And yes this is finishing question/thread... maybe should be on a different forum. To the exclusive cuemakers that do reply to our questions. I learned a lot so far...Thanks for your expertise/help.

And if I could only use one finish on wood it would be Tru-Oil. When done right is high gloss and absolutely durable.

Last edited:

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
Maybe I took the subject off course...If I did no apologies for contributing. Opinions are opinions usually from personal experience. They are not "The" answer.
I'm not cue maker but can do quality tipping, ferrules, accurate pinning and some refinishing, current working on my first house cue conversion. I have no issue asking a stupid question and maybe replying with a stupid answer sometimes..... That is my best learning tool...that and mistakes. Otherwise how do we grow and learn.
And yes this is finishing question/thread... maybe should be on a different forum. To the exclusive cuemakers that do reply to our questions. I'm learned a lot so far...Thanks for your expertise/help.

And if I could only use one finish on wood it would be Tru-Oil. When done right is high gloss and absolutely durable.

I have not heard of Tru-Oil before. Sounds interesting. The last cue I repaired I loved the more natural matte look and feel, but wasn't sure how to preserve that look. I ended up going with what I know which was CA, and it is still beautiful. As a lot of cue makers seem to go with a spray finish, epoxy, or Solarez. I would love to hear their opinion on cues being finished differently from the normal 'epoxy' type finishes.

Canadian cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My day job is at a university Chemistry department and I have asked a few knowledgeable chemists about the CA glue and oil. The oil changes the polymer to slightly less hard and gives it more flex. It also has the benefit of slowing down the curing time, giving you more working time. The manufactures of CA glue already formulate some CA's for the same properties. If you use the the CA's marketed as flex or toughened, they basically do the same thing. Using the med CA also give you more working time. The one thing I am still leery about is why the manufacturers of CA have never marketed their product as finish.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My son used to use olive oil on his cues between super glue coats and produced the best looking super glue finishes I have ever seen. I never thought it was a good idea, but the results sure surprised me.

dendweller

And yes this is finishing question/thread... maybe should be on a different forum. To the exclusive cuemakers that do reply to our questions. I learned a lot so far...Thanks for your expertise/help.

Occurs to me that there should be different section/forum for hobbiest that work on cues. I understand this one is for cue makers to be asked questions so it's uncomfortable to share idea sometimes if you don't have enough experience to pass as a cue maker.

shankster8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Occurs to me that there should be different section/forum for hobbiest that work on cues. I understand this one is for cue makers to be asked questions so it's uncomfortable to share idea sometimes if you don't have enough experience to pass as a cue maker.
Seems this "hobbiest" has provoked meaningful discussion. He says "I'm not cue maker but can do quality tipping, ferrules, accurate pinning and some refinishing, current working on my first house cue conversion." In view of that, how do you define the term "cue maker"? Someone who earns a living making/selling cues? Just curious.

dendweller

Seems this "hobbiest" has provoked meaningful discussion. He says "I'm not cue maker but can do quality tipping, ferrules, accurate pinning and some refinishing, current working on my first house cue conversion." In view of that, how do you define the term "cue maker"? Someone who earns a living making/selling cues? Just curious.
I don't know, that's the rub and I agree with you. But I'm pretty sure the description of this section says that cue makers should be answering questions and I've seen some that seem to get a little irritated at non-cue makers answering. So to me, the answer may be another section.

dendweller

To be clear, I had no problem with what goldcrown said.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This thread has held itself together very well so far. Once again it has to with LO & CA not cue making. If the knowledgeable cue makers feel some of the posts or subject/topics/ are inappropriate please say so or ask a mod to move it. We’re listening. This is one of the best forums of all. And thanks again for sharing.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Another section?

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
The issue is, look back at the first 4 posts after the original post....NON-cuemakers answering a question with no background evidently, basically calling the practice of using Linseed oil with CA.....without using the word...stupid....But it is actually a great way to do CA finish. Re-read the first 4 posts.....twice.....bad info from those that responded quickly. Hence why it's called 'Ask The Cuemaker' section rather than 'ask anybody' section......bad INFO causes beginners to lose learning the right way/money/time/reputation early on due to less informed/not learned, people responding to questions aimed at actual cuemakers. Now we may not be the best at everything...but we have seen/dealt with a lot....and people come here to ask us, not to ask someone that may have built a stool once. There are somethings things that are very different to cue building that even my Dad as a master craftsman of woodworking could never wrap his head around. Different worlds.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
I don't get the obsession with trying to guarantee good advice. If people are too lazy to use some critical thinking and some experimentation to verify what they're told, it's on them if they get a bum steer.

The following rules are put in place to make this forum a positive informative place where anyone can ask the quality cuemakers who frequent our forum questions. Although anyone can participate in the thread’s discussions and ask questions, it should primarily be the experienced cuemakers who provide the answers. It might be appropriate for non-cuemakers to give some input on occasions. But that should be the exception instead of the norm.

Last edited:

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I don't get the obsession with trying to guarantee good advice. If people are too lazy to use some critical thinking and some experimentation to verify what they're told, it's on them if they get a bum steer.
I kinda disagree, as this is a specific section, and One should be able to trust the overall answers to an extent....I have had some old time cuemakers give me bad advice early on....due to the whole secrets deal thing.... and cost me money I couldn't afford at the time. Ask the Cue maker is exactly what the title is....it's not called ask a dumbass.....or ask someone that handled a 2x4......it's called 'Ask A Cuemaker' for reason.......if a cuemaker doesn't want to answer, that is their own decision, and I will always respect that....but people with no real clue giving bad/wrong advise.....NOT RIGHT and should not be allowed! Worst part is they don't even realize they don't know that they don't know anything related to building/repairing cues.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
The world is chock full of people who are too stupid to know they're stupid. Trying to keep them out of a public forum is an exercise in futility.
You'll never have any public forum where people can go in blind and then trust what they're told.
I get the concept, and it's a worthy ideal but you'll go mad trying to enforce it. Most of the bad advice gets dealt with pretty quickly, this thread being a good example of that.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Another section?
I kinda disagree, as this is a specific section, and One should be able to trust the overall answers to an extent....I have had some old time cuemakers give me bad advice early on....due to the whole secrets deal thing.... and cost me money I couldn't afford at the time. Ask the Cue maker is exactly what the title is....it's not called ask a dumbass.....or ask someone that handled a 2x4......it's called 'Ask A Cuemaker' for reason.......if a cuemaker doesn't want to answer, that is their own decision, and I will always respect that....but people with no real clue giving bad/wrong advise.....NOT RIGHT and should not be allowed! Worst part is they don't even realize they don't know that they don't know anything related to building/repairing cues.
Not arguing ...not looking to bring stress where there is none. However woodworkers, penturners, new cue makers, hobbiests, scrollers, whoever learn from mistakes,...from good and bad advice...from experience. If we (the question askers) get bad advice or do not like the technique we'll figure it out. And yes there are people that have no idea what they are talking about will give wrong advice. We'll figure it out. The OP asked a simple question. Sheldon's posts are right on target. This is a great forum ...it's also Social Media and will go 360degrees. It's up to the OP to balance it out..... and he will.

Last edited:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Can I use Super Glue over Linseed oil for a finish ?
Rewinding.... The question is can CA be used OVER LO...... The answers seem to be when used the 2 are mixed not used on top of each other. Where are we? Aside from experimenting does the finish look substantially better than CA alone?

Please feel free to request the subject gets moved to a different area.

dendweller

Another section?
Yeah. I've had a number of repair lathes over the years, have build my own sneakies and do my own repairs. I never cut a point and probably never will. I've never started with square stock for either a butt or shaft, always start with blanks or occasionally a house cue. Does not make me a cue maker, pretty far from it. But I have fun.

I've gotten some good information here that cue makers were nice enough to share when I asked questions. It's a really good forum.

Occasionally I think I have some experience that might be helpful to someone starting out and I don't think this is the place given I'm not a cue maker. Thus my suggestion that we have another forum section that people know going in know that it's probably other hobbiests answering the questions.