Listen to this situation and what is the proper ruling?

notnilc20

notnilc20
Silver Member
OK, I'm playing 9 ball and I shoot the 8 into the corner only to have it hang in the lip of the pocket. Now, as my opponent leans over to shoot the eight in, he strikes the cue ball and as the cue ball is traveling to knock the 8 in, it falls by itself into the pocket thus causing the cue ball to follow it in the pocket and scratch. I get ball in hand and finish the game.

Do you agree? IMO, there really is nothing else to do....just a bit of bad luck on the other players part.
 
OK, I'm playing 9 ball and I shoot the 8 into the corner only to have it hang in the lip of the pocket. Now, as my opponent leans over to shoot the eight in, he strikes the cue ball and as the cue ball is traveling to knock the 8 in, it falls by itself into the pocket thus causing the cue ball to follow it in the pocket and scratch. I get ball in hand and finish the game.

Do you agree? IMO, there really is nothing else to do....just a bit of bad luck on the other players part.

I'd believe your opponent replays the shot. Replace the balls best you can.

I do know for sure that when you shot, after all balls came to rest, if the 8 ball didn't fall in within 5 seconds, the shot is over. If the 8 falls in after that 5 seconds, you'd replace the 8.
 
BCAPL general rule 1.49.3 (June 1 2010): If a ball is hanging on the lip of a pocket and falls into that pocket by itself after being stationary for five seconds or longer, it will be replaced as closely as possible to the position it was in prior to falling.
 
WPA Rules

http://www.wpa-pool.com/index.asp?content=rules_def#8.3

It's apparent to me that you guys played it incorrectly. You should have replaced the balls and the opponent replayed. See my bolded text for the applicable rules.

Crazy stuff happens sometimes, eh?


1.7 Balls Settling
A ball may settle slightly after it appears to have stopped, possibly due to slight imperfections in the ball or the table. Unless this causes a ball to fall into a pocket, it is considered a normal hazard of play, and the ball will not be moved back. If a ball falls into a pocket as the result of such settling, it is restored as closely as possible to its original position. If a settling ball falls into a pocket during or just prior to a shot, and this has an effect on the shot, the referee will restore the position and the shot will be replayed. The shooter is not penalized for shooting while a ball is settling. See also 8.3 Ball Pocketed.

8.3 Ball Pocketed
A ball is pocketed if it comes to rest in a pocket below the playing surface or enters the ball return system. A ball near the brink of a pocket partly supported by another ball is considered pocketed if removal of the supporting ball would cause the ball to fall into the pocket.
If a ball stops near the edge of a pocket, and remains apparently motionless for five seconds, it is not considered pocketed if it later falls into the pocket by itself. See 1.7 Balls Settling for other details. During that five second period, the referee should ensure that no other shot is taken. An object ball that rebounds from a pocket back onto the playing surface is not a pocketed ball.
 
OK, I'm playing 9 ball and I shoot the 8 into the corner only to have it hang in the lip of the pocket. Now, as my opponent leans over to shoot the eight in, he strikes the cue ball and as the cue ball is traveling to knock the 8 in, it falls by itself into the pocket thus causing the cue ball to follow it in the pocket and scratch. I get ball in hand and finish the game.

Do you agree? IMO, there really is nothing else to do....just a bit of bad luck on the other players part.
It clearly would have paid your opponent to have read the rules. There are lots of things in there that are complete surprises to most players who have learned them only by word of mouth.
 
guess I got away with one.....but wow....i've never come across a situation like that before. I knew about the 5 second rule and all but the thing that confused us, is it fell after he shot ....so it just surprised us all and we didn't know what to do.
 
Back
Top