Local Find: Joss

Walt69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi folks. I was out and about and saw this guy for sale locally. I don't really wanna say what I paid but i think it's a lot less than I should have. From what the guy said, it's from the early/mid 80s but he wasn't sure which model or year exactly.

First question, is this the original shaft with it? It doesn't have a joss logo on it so i'm unsure but i do know they used the stitched collar.

Second question, what model would you say it was and if there was a particular year it was made?

Lastly, I imagine it's worth something as it hits amazing and is an older Joss, but i'm not sure what to value it at? It is a bit roughed up, has some battle scars in the clear coat bit nothing a minor refinish wouldn't cure if wanted. The shaft is... well... blueish lol. And there is some clear coat scraping off the joint collar.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• 20161221_135913.jpg
    20161221_135913.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 961
  • 20161221_135939.jpg
    20161221_135939.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 960
  • 20161221_135955.jpg
    20161221_135955.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 973

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know a lot about Joss cues but that is certainly not the original shaft for that butt. With the original shaft and refinish, I think the cue would be worth about what you invested in getting an original shaft and refinish work done.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Not the original shaft.
I have an '86 Joss with the same collar....but the shaft has the same collar also.
I have shafts with the same collar as your shaft...comes from older Josses.

...the cue looks worth it to refinnish.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CNC points and "JOSS" in the collar. Mid 80's to early '90's. With that shaft its probably worth around 300bux.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know a lot about Joss cues but that is certainly not the original shaft for that butt. With the original shaft and refinish, I think the cue would be worth about what you invested in getting an original shaft and refinish work done.

About 20 years ago I had a 1986 Joss. I can't tell from the pics , but mine had the " Joss 1986 " written in white. Also; as I said it's been years , but I'm 99% sure that my shafts had that exact design on the shafts collars same as this one pictured and I am 100% certain that my entire cue was totally as it left from the factory.

flyrv9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there a serial number engraved on the silver part of the joint? I found a Joss in a pawn shop a few years ago and emailed that number to Dan Janes and he told me when it was built and what series it was. He wouldn't, however, quote me a value - can't blame him. With that info I was able to research the value. Perhaps you could do the same with either a number or sending him the pics.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
no big collector value so just play with it. or pay 200 and get it refinished and have a 500 dollar stick.

JRusso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe the Joss website has an archive page featuring a lot of old cue catalogs. You can also just email Dan Janes and ask him. I believe they're willing to help people identify Cue vintages etc.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is NOT the original shaft, but it might be an earlier Joss shaft.

BUT....I will help you out. If that is an original Joss shaft and straight I will buy it from you.

I have been desperately seeking a dashed ring Joss shaft for a while now (two in fact). I need to look closer at it, but if we can establish that as a Joss shaft you might get a decent amount for it AND I WANT FIRST IN LINE!

EDIT: Looking closer it looks unlikely it's an original dashed ring Joss shaft. But I am still interested in opinions on the matter.

If that is your first "taste" of an old Joss hit, I bet you are impressed. Even without the original shaft, as long as that's a good shaft and it looks to be decent.

Last edited:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member

BUT....I will help you out. If that is an original Joss shaft and straight I will buy it from you.

I have been desperately seeking a dashed ring Joss shaft for a while now (two in fact). I need to look closer at it, but if we can establish that as a Joss shaft you might get a decent amount for it AND I WANT FIRST IN LINE!

EDIT: Looking closer it looks unlikely it's an original dashed ring Joss shaft. But I am still interested in opinions on the matter.

If that is your first "taste" of an old Joss hit, I bet you are impressed. Even without the original shaft, as long as that's a good shaft and it looks to be decent.

Doesn't look like an original dashed ring Joss shaft to me. The did their brass inserts with more of a bevel, and the maple and black linen pieces to the ring dashes were more even than this. That's my opinion, somebody else's shaft.

Those dashed Joss shafts were very old, compared to this cue, by the way. Other than the solid black collars of the beginning in about 1968, those dashed collars you're referring to were pretty much late 60s, maybe just barely into the 70s.

All the best,
WW

It looks like a good quality shaft to me, and that ferrule appears to be Ivory, but I am not sure.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:eek:

Sorry, but he will not turn his lathe on for $100.

Will cost more than $100....

He was just referring to the base price for refinish published on the work order on the web site.

No big deal. :wink: It's a plug for his work...that's a good thing. :smile:

:eek:

Sorry, but he will not turn his lathe on for $100.

Will cost more than $100....

His work order form states Refinish cue butt and 1 shaft for $100.

http://www.proficientbilliards.com/services/work_order_form.pdf

So, the owner of the cue would need to pay $100 plus the cost of shipping both ways. So, maybe $130 to $135 (just a guess) after all of the costs, plus a 7-10 day turn around time. Am I missing anything about the price that Scott Sherbine charges to refinish a cue?

He was just referring to the base price for refinish published on the work order on the web site.

No big deal. :wink: It's a plug for his work...that's a good thing. :smile:

I do not understand. Is there something that I am missing? If I just want a cue with 1 shaft to be refinished by Scott Sherbine, then it will just cost me $100 plus the cost of shipping both ways, correct? I remember his price used to be $85 for a refinish with 1 shaft (for years and years, up until recently).

Walt69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah i think its 100 straight up for a cue, plus xx extra per shaft. Plus shipping of course.

I've been looking around and wonder if this is closer to one of the old Runde shafts. The natural part of the vintage joss stitched joint collars looked a little more square, whereas these look a little more rectangular like the early runde/schons.