longer cue

BigAlTheTiger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have always used 58 " cues. I tend to grip toward the back of the linen. If I were to switch to a 60 inch cue, will the weight of the cue have to heavier since there is 2 inches of additional cue? Say if I normally shoot with a 19 oz, what kind of weight difference should I expect, if any? BTW, I have never shot with a longer cue, but I wonder how far back should my hand be from the balance point? & if a longer cue would help or hurt with that aspect?

thanks,

aphelps1

Phelps Custom Cues
Silver Member
I have a 60 inch cue that I'm making now that is 18.6 oz.. Weight and balance can be worked to your specification (within reason) on a custom cue. Only you will know if a longer cue is better for you. My personal shooter these days is a 29 inch butt and 30 inch shaft.

Hope that helps a little,
Alan

Phelps Custom Cues

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
I am short at 5'-6" but have recently went to a longer cue. I also have 29" butt and 30" shaft on my current player (Jim Baxter cue). In addition I have a 30" 30" split cue that works well for me too (Jim Baxter cue).

That being said the balance point is not important to me. I just like a lighter cue with a non stainless steel joint.

Kevin

BigAlTheTiger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 60 inch cue that I'm making now that is 18.6 oz.. Weight and balance can be worked to your specification (within reason) on a custom cue. Only you will know if a longer cue is better for you. My personal shooter these days is a 29 inch butt and 30 inch shaft.

Hope that helps a little,
Alan

Phelps Custom Cues

Thanks Alan,

Where is a good starting point for the balance?

BigAlTheTiger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am short at 5'-6" but have recently went to a longer cue. I also have 29" butt and 30" shaft on my current player (Jim Baxter cue). In addition I have a 30" 30" split cue that works well for me too (Jim Baxter cue).

That being said the balance point is not important to me. I just like a lighter cue with a non stainless steel joint.

Kevin

I have been trying to get the balance right.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
keep the same butt and have a shaft made that is 30 or 31 inches in length.......... it will still feel the same........ the added weight on the end of the shaft is not noticeable...

I make lots of them for players and they love them

Kim

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I also think adding the extra shaft is the answer if you do not want any extra length. The least expensive route is to make a two inch plug for the back end. But that will add about an ounce of weight unless someone has some light material.