Looking at the Object Ball

Bluewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was taught in my preshot to look at the cb,when the tip is at the cb, then the ob on the backswing. Then before going into that last stroke, to lock onto that ob during the final backswing, hit and follow.

I have a slight hand tremor. I find that my forward swings are without tremor while I am looking at the cb. In my last, critical stroke, without the visual point of reference, sometimes I do not hit the cb in the right place even though it was perfect in my preshot and my stroke and follow are virtually identical.

Any ideas?

Laura

Bluewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes and no head bob that I know of although I can get someone who is a good pool player to watch for that. Thanks.

Laura

jjinfla

Banned
Hi BW,

I thought you had some lessons from Scott. I was under the impression from previous posts that he teaches to look at the CB last. I personally look at the pocket last and hope thru some miracle that the ball ends up there. :cool: I guess that is why I am such a lousy player. But as long as I keep finding players a little lousier than I am to play I am happy. :) Jake~~~realizes that I am too old, and too incompetant, at this game to be any good. And am in pain right now from too much smoke last night.

Bluewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jjinfla said:
Hi BW,

I thought you had some lessons from Scott. I was under the impression from previous posts that he teaches to look at the CB last. I personally look at the pocket last and hope thru some miracle that the ball ends up there. :cool: I guess that is why I am such a lousy player. But as long as I keep finding players a little lousier than I am to play I am happy. :) Jake~~~realizes that I am too old, and too incompetant, at this game to be any good. And am in pain right now from too much smoke last night.

Scott does look at the cb last. Before my first lesson with him, my apa7 hubbie who is adamant about looking at the ob last told him not to teach me that stuff. Scott told me his reasoning behind why he does it the way he does and left it at that.

And gosh, Jake, compared to me, I imagine you are like a pro.;) Hey, as long as we are having fun, right?:p

Laura

jjinfla

Banned
Hey, as long as we are having fun, right?

Laura

Well Laura, Lately the fun has gone out of it. Realization has set in that I am about as good at this game as I ever will be and that is not good enough to compete at the open amateur level. And when I play at the local pool hall where it is a race to your handicap and there are some better players all I hear is them complaining about how I am under-rated. But it is because I do not come in the money there. I usually start out the tournaments playing well and then as the smoke gets to me my game just falls apart. After three hours in the room my eyes and head hurt and when I have an easy 4 ball out but miss a straight in three foot shot by a foot it's time to think about finding something else to do with my time. Or just keep away from the smoke filled rooms. Jake

B

boarwolf

JJ, Don't worry they're going non-smoking in Florida. Any place serving food or in a building that is part of a complex I believe will have to prohibit smoking. This may take a while to completely implement but then you can just drop a dime (or 50 cents) and get the place cleared out.
BW

Bluewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jjinfla said:
Hey, as long as we are having fun, right?

Laura

Well Laura, Lately the fun has gone out of it. Realization has set in that I am about as good at this game as I ever will be and that is not good enough to compete at the open amateur level. And when I play at the local pool hall where it is a race to your handicap and there are some better players all I hear is them complaining about how I am under-rated. But it is because I do not come in the money there. I usually start out the tournaments playing well and then as the smoke gets to me my game just falls apart. After three hours in the room my eyes and head hurt and when I have an easy 4 ball out but miss a straight in three foot shot by a foot it's time to think about finding something else to do with my time. Or just keep away from the smoke filled rooms. Jake

That is a bummer. I had to come to that point in karate. I had neck and back problems that just would not allow me to do those jump kicks.;) With pool, I am a beginner at 50 so have no idea where that line is. But my husband had been on a long plateau, we are talking about three years. Then he went to pool school and went up another notch.

What about taking a break and playing with friends once or twice a week? Then when you come back, the no smoking thing will be in force.

Another possibility. My son was on a swim team that required us to do a fundraiser to keep down expenses which was to work bingo once a week. Now you talk about smoke!!! I thought my throat was going to close up and I would surely die before the night was over. I started taking an antihistamine 'contact' before going into bingo and zoom no more problems. You can also take drops to moisen your eyes.:p

Good luck.

Laura

Rickw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Object Ball

Laura,

I tend to agree with your husband about looking at the ob last. I did read somewhere, I think it was something Hal Nix wrote but am not sure, that Earl Strickland is one of the only top pros that looks at the cb last, and he aint a bad player. You should probably experiment a little and pick the one that works best.

Jake,
You should move to CA. Most places here don't allow smoking. The only places that do are family-owned and operated. Unfortunately for me, I play tournaments at a place that is family-owned and operated! I get my smoke quota for the week there!

jjinfla

Banned
A lot of the restaurants here in central Florida have gone non-smoking already but the law is not to take place until July. But there are a lot of questions about how local bars that serve food will handle it. No one is sure if it will apply to them. the Bingo hall where I worked went non-smoking a few years ago and it is packed twice a week. And the Moose bingo hall went non-smoking a few months ago and they are doing quite well too. I now realize that when I was younger and would go out drinking and smoking till all hours and the next day my head was pounding it was not from the alcohol it was from the smoke. My body was yelling at me but I was too dumb to listen. LOL