Looking for a blank to be finsihsed....

Rangercap

www.nittanyleather.com
Silver Member
So - I've acquired a John Davis blank - rosewood into BEM purple, green, rosewood, and natural veneers. I'm looking for recommendations from the AZ crowd as to who can make this into a player.

I've seen a few pics on the baord in the past of cues for sale, but not sure if I would go the white green speckled irish linen wrap, wrapless, or smooth brown leather.

Thanks in advance.

Brian
 
I would personally look for someone near you that you could visit and discuss what you want. It is a big help to that stuff in person, or wait for a show and discuss with a builder then. just my 2C
 
I had an opportunity to hit some balls with a cue that Joe Callaluca made from a Davis blank. I have to say that the work he did on the cue was excellent, and the cue plays fantastic. I have never ordered a cue from Joe, but my friend brought the cue back to have the wrap changed and a predator shaft matched, and he was extremely happy with the way he was treated.
 
re: John Davis Blank

hello brian, hope to find you in good spirits.
the john davis blank shown in photo's below had been completed by Arial Carmeli.
 

Attachments

  • 121qw.jpg
    121qw.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 477
  • 122qw.jpg
    122qw.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 464
  • 123qw.jpg
    123qw.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 503
also... there are a slue of cue builders here in the az forums.
a few of the stronger are:
Kevin Varney, Wm Lee, Craig Rittel, Scot Sherbine, Larry Vigus.
see if you can get az member Lee Pepper of Virginia, LP Custom Cues.
 
Last edited:
I have done a few John Davis blanks over the years. There are so many different ways to do them. You can leave them the way they are and just build them or you can splice in another handle and move the points further up. Sometimes it depends on what John did. It also depends on what the customer wants, slick handle or wrap.

Here is an example of one that I did a few years ago. The Davis is the ivory joint and ivory inlays with Buska ring.
howard1.jpg

howard2.jpg

howard3.jpg
 
DSC_0001-3.jpg

DSC_0002-3.jpg

DSC_0004-2.jpg



Here is one I had Richard Neighbors finish for me which I love. I'm not sure if he is building cues anymore, but he is a fantastic choice. I'm having Jon Spitz finish one for me right now.
 
Back
Top