Looking for a cuemaker for custom work....

Cychotron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi i was looking for somone to do some work on a custom cue i had made. There are mistakes i would like fixed as well as make some possible changes.
The cue is a three piece jump/break with a playing shaft made to match. A real pretty setup.
The 2 shafts are both too thick at the base to fit in my instroke case so id like to thin them out some on the lathe. The play shaft was saposed to have a pro taper (i have specs) and all that but did not come that way so that has to be fixed.
The break shaft ferral material shattered/cracked and was too brittle for breaking. A new stronger ferral would be awesome!
This cue has a unique joint and was wondering about switching all of it to a radial pin that is if its possible.
Can anyone suggest somone who could help? I am in washington state perhaps somone local?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
You are looking for an advanced cue repair guy for sure.

The shafts that are to thick at the base (I assume the joint) would need to be reduced in size.
That will effect the hit and feel but can be done if so desired.

The playing shaft would need to be re-tapered and as long as you are removing material that is fine.
If you have specs they can be achieved with a CNC machine.

Break shaft Ferrel replacement is basic and simple.

Changing the pin is a major undertaking ... the shafts would need to have inserts installed for the new pin.
Removal of the old pin is always risky if the joint material has any plastic rings in them.
I would not recommend this because of the risk.

Can you post a photo showing the joint area?
After seeing the photos I could make a better assessment of the project.

Willee 361-563-1303

Last edited:

Cychotron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The female end is on the butt with the pin on the shafts.

522266a6989b6e919365f6aacbaf779a.jpg

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Delete your picture. We do not need anything larger than this size.

Attachments

• overblown.jpg
    overblown.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 213

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
To be quite honest with you Cychotron, I would leave the joint pins as they are unless there is something seriously wrong with them.
Be advised that reducing the joint size (diameter) WILL change the way the cue feels and plays.
Most likely it will loosen up the whole cue.
Re-tapering the shafts to get a different or a specific taper profile is a common modification.
I have taken quite a few McDermott shafts from 13mm to 12.75mm (or smaller) and extended the pro part of the taper using my CueMonster CNC machine.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you add up all the work that needs to be done, your very close to the cost of a new cue.