Looking for feedback

Systim6

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi, I have never posted a video of myself playing. So here it is, Please let me know what I could be doing better.

A clip of me breaking with my (new to me) Woodworth J/b
Break

I was just messing around in the beginning and end of the rack not focusing very much. But the rest is alright.
Shooting

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi, I have never posted a video of myself playing. So here it is, Please let me know what I could be doing better.

A clip of me breaking with my (new to me) Woodworth J/b
Break

I was just messing around in the beginning and end of the rack not focusing very much. But the rest is alright.
Shooting

As far as fundamentals, what I notice is a lot of up-and-down motion of your stick on warm-up strokes. This seems to be a complication you don't need. Do you have a personal reason to include all that activity?

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good. Really good. Great break. Nice shooting rhythm. Strong ball pocketing.

Critiques? Very few but here goes:

Tendency to jump up a bit too quick. Might come back to bite you in competition. Try to stay down longer.

The other potential issue is the thing that I like most about your game: Your rhythm. The key is to be able to keep it consistent during compeition: Don't get careless which can happen with your rhythm, but don't slow down to where you are second guessing yourself. You're a feel player and you need to find and keep your rhythm. You'll mess yourself up if you start thinking too much.

So when you get into competition, once you find your rhythm, everyone else had better watch out.

Systim6

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far as fundamentals, what I notice is a lot of up-and-down motion of your stick on warm-up strokes. This seems to be a complication you don't need. Do you have a personal reason to include all that activity?

No not really any reason. I guess its like how a batter in baseball wiggles and gets planted and ready to swing. Just making sure everything feels right I guess. Should I stop that?

Systim6

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good. Really good. Great break. Nice shooting rhythm. Strong ball pocketing.

Critiques? Very few but here goes:

Tendency to jump up a bit too quick. Might come back to bite you in competition. Try to stay down longer.

The other potential issue is the thing that I like most about your game: Your rhythm. The key is to be able to keep it consistent during compeition: Don't get careless which can happen with your rhythm, but don't slow down to where you are second guessing yourself. You're a feel player and you need to find and keep your rhythm. You'll mess yourself up if you start thinking too much.

So when you get into competition, once you find your rhythm, everyone else had better watch out.

I haven't ever really thought about this. Wow you really nailed it on the head about the rhythm. In tournament play I always start to think and slow down way too much and then I start failing and my emotions just start destroying me because I know I shoot better then that.

And now that I watch myself play I do tend to start pop up before I'm done with a shot. It's like I'm already moving onto the next shot.

Thanks so much.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
No not really any reason. I guess its like how a batter in baseball wiggles and gets planted and ready to swing. Just making sure everything feels right I guess. Should I stop that?
If you move the cue ball consistently, especially for follow and draw, then it might not be a problem.

If your elbow stays in one place all the time, it is easier for it to be in the right place when you hit the cue ball. If it is going up and down a lot, your timing has to be right for it to be where you want at the instant the tip hits the ball. This comes under the general heading of simpler is better. In this case the complex motion directly affects what the cue ball does.

Put an object ball near the middle of the table and the cue ball for a nearly straight shot to a corner pocket. Can you consistently pocket the object ball and leave the cue ball within a hand span (9 inches for me) of the end rail using follow? How about using draw to the other end rail? If you can do that as consistently as you want, then the extra motion is not a problem. If you are not consistent, you need to look for things to change and simplifying your motion might help.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't ever really thought about this. Wow you really nailed it on the head about the rhythm. In tournament play I always start to think and slow down way too much and then I start failing and my emotions just start destroying me because I know I shoot better then that.

And now that I watch myself play I do tend to start pop up before I'm done with a shot. It's like I'm already moving onto the next shot.

Thanks so much.

Happy to help. Study players like Dennis Hatch, Shane Van Boening and Earl Strickland. They're all rhythm players. Sure, there are times during a match where they have to slow down and think, but they quickly try to get back into rhythm. You especially remind me of Hatch, and that's not a bad thing at all.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Hi all,

in my opinion the grip could be cause some problems. Before i start fighting with my low english:
Fran or Bob: Perhaps it s just the bad video- imo i believe that he s using not really a cradle- he seems to hold the cue with his thumb and 2nd finger (pinkie?) and bc of this he puts unwanted *pressure* on it. This would cause to make it much heavier to create a repeatable straight stroke.

If i am wrong-sorry :) Waiting for the professional version of describing ^^

lg from overseas
Ingo

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi all,

in my opinion the grip could be cause some problems. Before i start fighting with my low english:
Fran or Bob: Perhaps it s just the bad video- imo i believe that he s using not really a cradle- he seems to hold the cue with his thumb and 2nd finger (pinkie?) and bc of this he puts unwanted *pressure* on it. This would cause to make it much heavier to create a repeatable straight stroke.

If i am wrong-sorry :) Waiting for the professional version of describing ^^

lg from overseas
Ingo

Ingo, I think this player has a lot of weapons in his arsenal and is capable of different grips for different needs. For example, take a look at 1:24 in his shooting video. You can see his back hand clearly from the front in that shot.

I think he's fine.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Fran,

thx >:)
Really *oversaw* it. There was just one sequence where i saw something- but i was definitley wrong. Thx for takin a look and clearing this :)

lg
Ingo