Looking for

cue fix

Will "MONSOON" & SEARING!
Silver Member
Hello. I am in need of 1 or 2 items. First is a rubber bumper with the dimensions of the one pictured. The top mushroom is 1" W and 1/4" thick and the stem is .3" thick and .63" W and is held on by an Allen head screw. Fits a 1990's JW

2nd is butt cap material as pictured, if you know what it is, as I do not. Also from a 1990's JW . The piece needs to be big enough that the final dimensions would be 1.26" and .76". If any of you have either of these items, please let me know.

100_2162.jpg

100_2163.jpg

100_2160.jpg

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The butt cap material can be made out of ivory colored delrin which is nice because you don't have to put finish on it. Just polish and buff after machining. As for the bumper, you can machine the back of the butt cap to accept a standard 1" bumper.
Hope this helps.

cue fix

Will "MONSOON" & SEARING!
Silver Member
Thanks for the reply Mr. Webb. I am not cue maker. I searched the internet and didn't find this exact bumper, so I thought some of you who have been around awhile may have one on hand. Thanks for your suggestion. I heard back from Mr. Stroud and he said the butt plate is a Synthetic called alternative ivory.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the reply Mr. Webb. I am not cue maker. I searched the internet and didn't find this exact bumper, so I thought some of you who have been around awhile may have one on hand. Thanks for your suggestion. I heard back from Mr. Stroud and he said the butt plate is a Synthetic called alternative ivory.

Good morning:
I was hoping Mr. Stroud didn't remember. Lol. He's never forgotton anything. I knew what it was when I saw your picture, I was suggesting a better matetial. The alt. Ivory looks nice but it is very brittle. I'm surprised yours lasted this long. Quite a few of us tried it a long time ago. I still have a foot of it left. Mr. Stroud purchased some of his rubber bumpers thru MSC industries. I have no idea if they are even available today. A Cue maker who post here bought his equipment, I just can't remember his AZ name at the moment. His name is Jake Halsey

Last edited:

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would suggest

You do as you are doing and try to locate original materials to repair your josswest and not basterdize as others have suggested. There are cues that can be mixed and matched with different materials and not affect their value. I believe not so with jw's.
Mr Stroud was a master and I believe we should try to keep his cues original as we can.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You do as you are doing and try to locate original materials to repair your josswest and not basterdize as others have suggested. There are cues that can be mixed and matched with different materials and not affect their value. I believe not so with jw's.
Mr Stroud was a master and I believe we should try to keep his cues original as we can.

Good point.
Do you have this material?
Have you worked with this material?

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No and no

I do not have any of that material, and have never owned of that material.

Might be hard to find I dont know, but I think it's worth looking into.

Great example, hoppe titlist, I'm 74 and have seen them sell for 25.bucks, and they were cheaper than that when new. Now whenever I buy one for 300 to 500 bucks, unless it's crooked or damaged, I just put it in the wall rack for guest to use as players. I have much old stuff that's not worth a lot now but getting rarer every day.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not have any of that material, and have never owned of that material.

Might be hard to find I dont know, but I think it's worth looking into.

Great example, hoppe titlist, I'm 74 and have seen them sell for 25.bucks, and they were cheaper than that when new. Now whenever I buy one for 300 to 500 bucks, unless it's crooked or damaged, I just put it in the wall rack for guest to use as players. I have much old stuff that's not worth a lot now but getting rarer every day.

You might have misunderstood my point. I have the stuff and I advised not to use it, but I have it.
2Nd part of the equation,
What about the logo? Mr. Stroud is not doing cues anymore.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You might have misunderstood my point. I have the stuff and I advised not to use it, but I have it.
2Nd part of the equation,
What about the logo? Mr. Stroud is not doing cues anymore.
What about the logo? Now there is a worthy question to have a serious thread about. Not just the devaluing of a cue when it is no longer there, but ways to preserve it. I stopped by Annie O's shop one time when traveling through Texas and watched how Annie O preserved the logo on every cue refinished there. Here is how it was done. Put the cue on a scanner and scanned the logo. Then printed it on clear decal paper. Sprayed over the decal with spray can lacquer finish and then cut the decal to size and put that on the cue with five minute epoxy and then finished over it.

Any other ways to preserve logos?

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What about the logo? Now there is a worthy question to have a serious thread about. Not just the devaluing of a cue when it is no longer there, but ways to preserve it. I stopped by Annie O's shop one time when traveling through Texas and watched how Annie O preserved the logo on every cue refinished there. Here is how it was done. Put the cue on a scanner and scanned the logo. Then printed it on clear decal paper. Sprayed over the decal with spray can lacquer finish and then cut the decal to size and put that on the cue with five minute epoxy and then finished over it.

Any other ways to preserve logos?

Great post. If Mr. Stroud says it's ok. You know a lot of maker's and the catch 22 that goes with it. Just stating the fact. Nothing more!