Looking Schulenburgh Info...

chalkdust

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone have any info on the Charles Schulenburgh Co.? We are doing a restoration/ pool conversion on this very cool 9' carom table, it has been converted from 10' sometime in it's life and done very well. We also have the chalange of fitting this table with new slate, we have a three piece set from Blat and not one hole is in place:frown:
I would love to see any information you guys are willing to share. Mr. Bond, you have anything?

Attachments

• shburg 001.jpg
    shburg 001.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 231
  • shburg 010.jpg
    shburg 010.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 207
  • shburg 011.jpg
    shburg 011.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 213
  • shburg 006.jpg
    shburg 006.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 208

chalkdust

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Forgot to mention the rail adjustment system, that wire was imdeddeb in the nose of the cushin. They were useing gimmicks to sell tables way back in the 1800s.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
I do have some information on Schulenburg.

Are all those photos from the same table?

chalkdust

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes Sir it is the same table. I included the pic of the body panel to show how well it had been cut in half. Looks to me like another factory conversion. Schulenburg? Brunswick? Hard telling who did that work..
At this point our customer does not want us to refinnish this table, I sure hope he changes his mind. I would love to share any info with customer, I know he would love to have it.

Thanks a bunch for your time... Dave

P.S. I have more pics if you would like to see them.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wow that thing is a hot mess. LoL
Am I seeing an actual Gold Crown base?
Or just a knock-off that sorta resembles a GC?

The thing is, Schulenburg is a very early table company.(out of Detroit)
They started up in something like 1847 and stayed in business for over 50 years.
However, I'm pretty sure that they weren't around anymore by the time Gold Crowns hit the scene. I could be wrong, but I just don't think Schulenburg had anything to do with producing that table.

Chances are, someone recycled some (very old) schulenburg rails for the conversion.

Edited to add:
Goto www.chicagobilliardmuseum.org
...scroll down and click on the link called "billiard companies"
....just under the intro paragraph there are links to information on several non-Chicago based billiard table companies, including schulenburg.

Last edited:

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
I double-checked by looking into some of the old Detroit directories...
By 1928, there is definitely no sign of Schulenburg anymore. In fact I doubt he was still in business after 1910.

Anyway - here's another biographical piece on Schulenburg from 1887
1887_Schulenburg_Bio.jpg

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Does anyone have any info on the Charles Schulenburgh Co.? We are doing a restoration/ pool conversion on this very cool 9' carom table, it has been converted from 10' sometime in it's life and done very well. We also have the chalange of fitting this table with new slate, we have a three piece set from Blat and not one hole is in place:frown:
I would love to see any information you guys are willing to share. Mr. Bond, you have anything?

-
-
That's a unique table' unreal to see a wire along the nose of the cushion. Similar to a Shakespeare era mattress that's adjusted for preference or in this case maybe for the billiard ball sizes...?
Obviously the base frame is not orignal to the slate and rails. Why are you replacing the slate?
If your going as far to replace the slate due to crack for breaks, I'm assuming you want the table up to today's playing standards, it's going to take some serious work to get the rails to play properly.
Those rails look like a task for mark gregory.

Rob.M

chalkdust

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I double-checked by looking into some of the old Detroit directories...
By 1928, there is definitely no sign of Schulenburg anymore. In fact I doubt he was still in business after 1910.

Anyway - here's another biographical piece on Schulenburg from 1887
View attachment 280711

Thank You Mr. Bond... Are you AKA 007 Ball?

chalkdust

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
-
-
That's a unique table' unreal to see a wire along the nose of the cushion. Similar to a Shakespeare era mattress that's adjusted for preference or in this case maybe for the billiard ball sizes...?
Obviously the base frame is not orignal to the slate and rails. Why are you replacing the slate?
If your going as far to replace the slate due to crack for breaks, I'm assuming you want the table up to today's playing standards, it's going to take some serious work to get the rails to play properly.
Those rails look like a task for mark gregory.

Rob.M

Table came to us with no slate as for the rails, we can handle it.

chalkdust

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here are a cople more pics... Discovered today although the conversion from 10' looked good they sure couldn't use a measuring tape. The body was cut to small (slate screws will be in playing surface) and one end of the slate (we do not have) was cut 3/8" to short:angry:

PS Why did my pics come out soooo big?

Attachments

• shburg 015.jpg
    shburg 015.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 157
  • shburg 028.jpg
    shburg 028.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 163

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm confused... Are those the legs in the last pic?

I thought the other pic with the rails sitting on the slate was showing the legs..
That's why I made the comment about the GC....

...which is why I asked if all the pics were of the same table...

Last edited:

chalkdust

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm confused... Are those the legs in the last pic?

I thought the other pic with the rails sitting on the slate was showing the legs..
That's why I made the comment about the GC....

...which is why I asked if all the pics were of the same table...

Sorry Mr. Bond I thought you were jokeing with me, the GC is just a work bench.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sorry Mr. Bond I thought you were jokeing with me, the GC is just a work bench.

Well that makes a lot more sense lol....I was shaking my head at the thought of someone putting schulenburg rails on a GC. *shudder*

Looking at the other pics of the legs and panels, I'd say yes, that's a schulenburg table all day long.

Derrick Tiers has much experience with these tables. If you haven't already, give him a call and he can tell you pretty much anything you'd need to know about restoring it.

P.s. save that wire thingy and any parts that came with it.
If you don't want it, give it to me.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
The grain on those side panels is really quite nice.

For you aspiring carpenters out there, take a look at the first photo in post #10...^
Notice the long oval of trim in the middle of the panel?
How many of you can cut semi-circular matching trim?
I can't, that's for sure.
The devil's in the details as they say ;)

Edited to add:
Schulenburg's secretary/treasurer Hugo Bonninghausen not only invented new cushions ,
But also invented a lawn sprinkler, in 1883.
That's pretty crazy. I had no idea that people used lawn sprinklers that long ago. LoL

Last edited:

chalkdust

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well that makes a lot more sense lol....I was shaking my head at the thought of someone putting schulenburg rails on a GC. *shudder*

Looking at the other pics of the legs and panels, I'd say yes, that's a schulenburg table all day long.

Derrick Tiers has much experience with these tables. If you haven't already, give him a call and he can tell you pretty much anything you'd need to know about restoring it.

P.s. save that wire thingy and any parts that came with it.
If you don't want it, give it to me.

Mr. Bond, Thanks so much for the info, looked up Derric Tiers and look forward to speaking with him.
Our customer wants parts from rails for display, I will see what I can do to put one out of four in your collection.
One more note... We picked up a National "Columbia" for restoration today, you want to see pics?