Losing Desire (long, but proper paragragh structure, sorry)

Thanks CreeDo, your thoughtfulness is appreciated.. I am around. After the heat of the moment, I thought it through and think it silly to let one person control my life. I am here, just more circumspect in my posts.:D
 
JDB said:
I am just wondering how many of you just lost desire at some point in your pool playing career.

Has anyone else lost the desire and just given up pool? That seems to be where I am at right now... Any ideas on how to get the desire back?
I have, for sure. For me, I had certain goals, and I met them. Suddenly, I looked around and realized that unless I wanted to make some loftier goals, I had pretty much done everything that I wanted to realistic do in this game without putting forth more effort and time than I have.

That also means I'm in limbo where I don't desire to play social pool, but have no drive to play seriously.

I play a tournament here and there for some reason because I feel I need to play once in a while even though I abandoned practicing or even playing league once a week. And strangely enough, I won a huge tournament the other month without any practice or playing for over several months.

So, that's where I'm at today. I don't hate this game, but I don't love it anymore. It's like a pair of sneakers that I used to wear. I still like wearing them once in blue moon, but I'm not going out of my way to put them on.

Fred
 
Cornerman said:
I have, for sure. For me, I had certain goals, and I met them. Suddenly, I looked around and realized that unless I wanted to make some loftier goals, I had pretty much done everything that I wanted to realistic do in this game without putting forth more effort and time than I have.

That also means I'm in limbo where I don't desire to play social pool, but have no drive to play seriously.

I play a tournament here and there for some reason because I feel I need to play once in a while even though I abandoned practicing or even playing league once a week. And strangely enough, I won a huge tournament the other month without any practice or playing for over several months.

So, that's where I'm at today. I don't hate this game, but I don't love it anymore. It's like a pair of sneakers that I used to wear. I still like wearing them once in blue moon, but I'm not going out of my way to put them on.

Fred

So Fred, what day are you arriving at the DCC next month?
JoeyA
 
JDB said:
I am just wondering how many of you just lost desire at some point in your pool playing career.

My life has been pretty tumultuous over the last 5 - 6 years because I moved from Baltimore to Minnesota, back to near Baltimore, and then to Dallas, Texas. All of the moves were job related.

I think that my job has taken a much bigger priority in my life than pool. I also just started going back to complete my Masters degree after a 2 year hiatus and I find that I would rather do linear programming problems than play pool.

To put it in perspective, and not go into too much detail, I have been on vacation for the last week and a half and I have played approximately 3 racks of pool and I have a 9 foot pool table in my house. However, I have spent countless hours on solving linear programming problems because that is my current class in my Master Degree program.

Has anyone else lost the desire and just given up pool? That seems to be where I am at right now... Any ideas on how to get the desire back?
I finished my masters but I have to admit that I spent more time playing pool. I have never lost the desire to play pool. I guess because I play pool for the sake of playing it. I don't have some impossible goal that I have to meet in order to love the game. My advise is to do what you love. If your love becomes gardening then do it. Oh yeah do you have anything you want to sale or possibly give away?:D
 
I'm kind of a one project at a time person. If I have a project I am working on, all my attention is devoted to that project. I think about it 24/7.

And I usually do this in the summer - have various projects going and I am not interested in pool one bit.

But when my projects are completed, then I am interested in pool again. And not much time needed to get back up to speed. Actually sometimes after the break, I play better than ever!
 
I have lost the desire since many years ago. I like spending my time in many other things and don't have any free time. I still force myself to play though, because I like competition and I am not young enough to start competing in something else (I am pretty good though to whatever I try, apart from bowling). I play crap btw and haven't managed to improve. I was playing much better younger, when I was playing once in a week (I play more now).

I know that my lost desire doesn?t help my game, but I like competing and I don't want to back off. I also don't like quitting anything, which sometimes is a good thing and sometimes bad.

I don't post for receiving any advice. I will continue playing anw. You just pressed a sensitive button (the lost desire) and wanted to take it out of me :(

Btw like I have said before, I really like the community here :)
 
JDB said:
I am just wondering how many of you just lost desire at some point in your pool playing career.

My life has been pretty tumultuous over the last 5 - 6 years because I moved from Baltimore to Minnesota, back to near Baltimore, and then to Dallas, Texas. All of the moves were job related.

I think that my job has taken a much bigger priority in my life than pool. I also just started going back to complete my Masters degree after a 2 year hiatus and I find that I would rather do linear programming problems than play pool.

To put it in perspective, and not go into too much detail, I have been on vacation for the last week and a half and I have played approximately 3 racks of pool and I have a 9 foot pool table in my house. However, I have spent countless hours on solving linear programming problems because that is my current class in my Master Degree program.

Has anyone else lost the desire and just given up pool? That seems to be where I am at right now... Any ideas on how to get the desire back?

Most everyone has taken a hiatus from pool. It is a natural thing. No need to get the desire back. You will return when you are ready. No need to force it and it then become a job.

I have recently thought about quiting pool altogether and start spending the next few years doing some serious fishing. When I think about competing in the tournaments, even though I haven't won one in quite a while, it makes me wonder why I continue even though I get in my jabs at the big boys every now and then and I guess for now it is enough to keep me hanging on.

I teach a little and it is rewarding to see others learning from my efforts to share my knowledge with them. For the most poart, it is probably that quest to gain better consistency that keeps me coming back to the game even after seriously considering quiting altogether.

I get frustrated from time to time because I sometimes feel that the end result doesn't justify the effort. :( Then along comes a little pool match or tournament where I rise above myself and touch that golden ring and for a moment I am right with the world once more. :)
JoeyA
 
I started at age 12, found girls and cars at age 16 and hardly touched a cue until age 55.... 9 years ago.

I got serious about it at 55 yrs old. I bought a table, got rid of it and bought a Diamond, South West cues, took lessons from 4 or 5 pros and practiced my butt off. Then after about 3 years, when I got fed up with league, I got disenchanted with it all and laid the cue down for 2 years.... didn't mean too but that's how it came down.

Since then it's been off and on with hot rods, then pool, hot rods/pool, for the last 5 years or so and right now I'm back to practicing from 2 to 5 hours a day. I hope I don't get bored with it again and lose what I"ve gained again.

I don't go out to play anymore. Leagues are, imo, a crock. Going to bars is not my cup of tea. I'm a recovering alcoholic and haven't had a drink for 26 plus years so drinking is certaily not a reason to go out. And, there's just too much noise, I don't like the music... I like jazz. There's too many people that have been clients and some are angry at the DUI system and some blame me and give me a real hard time when they get drunk. It spoils my fun. I'd druther stay home and practice.

Obviously there's no future in it for me other than to see my progress and I find that FUN!! It's a great challange and I'll never complete the challange. Buddy Hall sought PERFECT 9 BALL and he accomplished that goal several times. I guess my goal is to not miss..... EVER. :D

I'm having fun. There's no future in it but I"m having fun.
 
I think the whole point is having fun. If you are not having fun no matter what your doing your wasting your time. Pool is one of the few things I have satisfaction doing alone. Do what makes you happy. I just wish other people could share in the fun that I have playing pool.
 
JoeyA said:
So Fred, what day are you arriving at the DCC next month?
JoeyA
LOL!!! Well, I hate playing. I still love the Derby City!!

I'll get there on the Saturday, and leave the following Saturday.

Fred
 
Cornerman said:
LOL!!! Well, I hate playing. I still love the Derby City!!

I'll get there on the Saturday, and leave the following Saturday.

Fred

I thought you might be going.
JoeyA
 
Wow, how did I miss this thread?

I took 12 years away from the game starting in '94 when I contracted mad cow disease (my ex-wife was a mad cow) & apart from the odd game with workmates I didn't miss it too much. When I started playing again just over a year ago I looked forward to my weekly game with my buddy. That was plenty for me then but now I play league twice a week & the odd tournament I find I can't wait to play again. The bug has bitten again.

I don't know how long it will last, I hope it doesn't go away. My game is getting better all the time & I want it to stay that way but who knows what the future holds?

Jim, when the urge to play does grab you again I hope you'll come see us!

All the best mate,

Ade.
 
Fatboy said:
I did the same thing, my mom had cancer and died after almost 3 years, i'm an only child and was there 110% mom was my best friend, that was the toughest thing I ever did. I'm proud of being there but man it was brutal, i still have nightmares, but no guilt, i'm proud that I was there and did everything possible, just like my mom did for me. I took 6 months off from life after that. I didnt have any fight left in me after losing her. Now i'm stronger than ever-that strength was my moms last gift to me, I just realized that.i gotta go cry....

I finished taking care of my mom two years ago. Long arduous task that took a lot out of me and I feel the better for it. Since macular degeneration took her sight slowly we spent a lot of time together... me reading her the local paper etc, and her appreciation of my help sort of helped me get over all the guilt I'd felt because of the grief I put her through during the 10 yrs I was drinking/drugging. I was lucky enough to have her see me turn the corner and then to be there and be able to pay some back to her. Love has to flow out to flow in.

I'm grateful for that opportunity and of course for having had her in my life.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top