Low Left vs Left

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With low left:

With just left:

I see this type of shot alot, going from the 1B to the 2B. Invariably people say hit it with low left. But wont the low left bring you in short? As in the first diagram?

It seems this shot is better hit with just left english to lengthen the CB out and get position on the 2B as in the second diagram.

How do you posters play this? Or am I splitting hairs here?

r/DCP

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The subtlest of deviations can ambush the flow of play. Players tend to hit low anyway and the low might just be a knee jerk to using side. Besides affecting exit direction, vertical orientation throttles the side by default. Then there's that teeter effect between low side and high side not to mention compounded accuracy issues when attempting center side. (food for PJ once again ) I for one am not comfortable with center side nor have I found a critical need for it.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you saying that you want to pretend that these are the only two balls left on the table in a real game?

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, lets assume these are the only two balls left on the table. Maybe I should have made them the 8B and the 9B.

r/DCP
That's one variable you left out of your question. Now for the second:

Here's what happens when you just say 'left.'

Without realizing it this will happen --- The first time you shoot it you may use one tip of left. Next time you use two tips. The next day you use 1/2 tip. Then you get frustrated and ask yourself why it's all so inconsistent?

This is why I don't like to answer your questions. You're lazy.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's one variable you left out of your question. Now for the second:

Here's what happens when you just say 'left.'

Without realizing it this will happen --- The first time you shoot it you may use one tip of left. Next time you use two tips. The next day you use 1/2 tip. Then you get frustrated and ask yourself why it's all so inconsistent?

This is why I don't like to answer your questions. You're lazy.

Fran Lee,

Not sure why you insult me and ridicule me anymore but you are sounding like Scott Lee. He does the same thing to me.

And I didnt realize I needed to be as precise as the atomic clock with my question. If that makes me lazy I am guilty. I thought it was a fairly, simple and straightforward question.

Anyway, I guess my best recommendation is that if you dont like to respond to my posts then its best that you just stay out of them.

r/DCP

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like Kool Aid to me... no thanks.

I think you've spooked yourself.

pj
chgo
Faks not koolaid. High side: less spin, more forward roll. Low side: more spin less forward roll. 9:00 side just doesn't feel comfortable to me and I don't use it enough to have a feel for the zone.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With low left:

With just left:

I see this type of shot alot, going from the 1B to the 2B. Invariably people say hit it with low left. But wont the low left bring you in short? As in the first diagram?

It seems this shot is better hit with just left english to lengthen the CB out and get position on the 2B as in the second diagram.

How do you posters play this? Or am I splitting hairs here?

r/DCP
Doesn't really matter what people say. Set the shot up and see which way works better. In this particular instance I wouldn't do it like that anyway. Looks like natural position to come off the short rail with follow and down to the two on the more forgiving side.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Looks like natural position to come off the short rail with follow and down to the two on the more forgiving side.
That's probably the shot, although the side pocket makes me a little nervous, so maybe a little inside..

Another option is stun, taking the same route(s) as the spin shots without the spin (but with a little more speed).

pj
chgo

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's probably the shot, although the side pocket makes me a little nervous, so maybe a little inside..

Another option is stun, taking the same route(s) as the spin shots without the spin (but with a little more speed).

pj
chgo
Funny how different these shots look on a real table. I just set the shot up and hit it with straight follow. It follows the path of the second diagram, hitting the long rail at the second diamond, but continued on toward the 2 ball from the bottom side pretty close to the 2.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fran Lee,

Not sure why you insult me and ridicule me anymore but you are sounding like Scott Lee. He does the same thing to me.

And I didnt realize I needed to be as precise as the atomic clock with my question. If that makes me lazy I am guilty. I thought it was a fairly, simple and straightforward question.

Anyway, I guess my best recommendation is that if you dont like to respond to my posts then its best that you just stay out of them.

r/DCP
Yeah, you ARE lazy. I have the experience as a teacher and as a player to be able to tell that about you. Once you can face that aspect of yourself, then maybe you can change it and practice more productively and actually improve. I've been witness to many great players on their way to greatness ---- guys like Tony Robles and George Sansouci (Ginky), Shane Van Boening, for example, and how they practice. They would set up a shot and tear it apart, inch by inch, morsel by morsel, and leave no stone unturned until they understood every possible aspect and nuance of the shot. And if they have questions, their questions have substance because of how much they've learned. You will never do that if you're lazy. That's the difference between you and them. But when you're lazy, you poll the gallery instead of doing the work yourself. I can tell when someone's put some effort into something and when they haven't just by the way they word their questions. In your case, it shows how much work you didn't do.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Funny how different these shots look on a real table. I just set the shot up and hit it with straight follow. It follows the path of the second diagram, hitting the long rail at the second diamond, but continued on toward the 2 ball from the bottom side pretty close to the 2.
Yep. Here's how straight follow and inside spin work out on my table (as shown here in VP4). Turns out the inside spin, which was supposed to save me from the side pocket, took me right to it. :(

pj
chgo

shots.jpg

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, you ARE lazy. I have the experience as a teacher and as a player to be able to tell that about you. Once you can face that aspect of yourself, then maybe you can change it and practice more productively and actually improve. I've been witness to many great players on their way to greatness ---- guys like Tony Robles and George Sansouci (Ginky), Shane Van Boening, for example, and how they practice. They would set up a shot and tear it apart, inch by inch, morsel by morsel, and leave no stone unturned until they understood every possible aspect and nuance of the shot. And if they have questions, their questions have substance because of how much they've learned. You will never do that if you're lazy. That's the difference between you and them. But when you're lazy, you poll the gallery instead of doing the work yourself. I can tell when someone's put some effort into something and when they haven't just by the way they word their questions. In your case, it shows how much work you didn't do.

Fran Lee,
I wont even comment on this because it doesnt deserve a comment. It is obvious, however, that you have no clue what you are talking about.

Lets just drop the subject. AZB is becoming more of a pain every day.

r/DCP

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like natural position to come off the short rail with follow and down to the two on the more forgiving side.

Dan,
Thanks for pointing this out. I tried it that way with a high CB and, of course, I scratched. Then I tried it with center ball and it came short of the side pocket and came down for good position on the 2B.

Perhaps I have watched too many Accu-Stats videos. On a shot like this the commentators always seem to talk about using low/left and coming 2-3 rails for position on the short side. I wouldnt have ever thought just a plain center ball hit would get the job done. Obviously I must be one lazy sob..:)

Having said all of this, the pocketing of the 1B would be easier for me with a little low left. Perhaps that might be a consideration as well.

r/DCP

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You need to learn how to make angles or tracks with and without spin by being able to hit where to want on the rail with the correct spin to get the tract you want
as you see its possible to get good position with low/low left/ center/ and follow for example
it has to do with how you manipulate the tracts
3 cushion players do this all the time
to get out of kisses or for position play
jmho
icbw

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dan,
Thanks for pointing this out. I tried it that way with a high CB and, of course, I scratched. Then I tried it with center ball and it came short of the side pocket and came down for good position on the 2B.

Perhaps I have watched too many Accu-Stats videos. On a shot like this the commentators always seem to talk about using low/left and coming 2-3 rails for position on the short side. I wouldnt have ever thought just a plain center ball hit would get the job done. Obviously I must be one lazy sob..:)

Having said all of this, the pocketing of the 1B would be easier for me with a little low left. Perhaps that might be a consideration as well.

r/DCP
Surprising that you scratch on a follow shot here. I don't understand that. The cb should be coming around the corner pretty easily without the scratch.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep. Here's how straight follow and inside spin work out on my table (as shown here in VP4). Turns out the inside spin, which was supposed to save me from the side pocket, took me right to it. :(

pj
chgo
I took note of that when I hit the shot, but I wasn't going to say anything. :eek:)

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Surprising that you scratch on a follow shot here. I don't understand that. The cb should be coming around the corner pretty easily without the scratch.

I set it up again. Hit the shot with a straight high CB. Sure enough, once again it scratched in the side pocket. However, center ball brings the CB short of the side pocket and then up towards the 2B for good position.