Machinist Level

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
I picked up a 6" Starrett machinist level for $20 at a garage sale. Should I even bother using it to try and level a pool table?
It will do in a pinch. I would keep it as a secondary level. It doesn't hurt to have more than one. Check the calibration, it's pretty easy to do.

Reactions: JC

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My mechanic used several (I want to say 10) 12" Starretts when he assembled my Gold Crown.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Starrett 98- 12" ! :)
I have 3" bullet for reference, Main levels 6", 2-12" & 18" all calibrated by Starrett.

TFT

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
All calibrated by Starrett, Wow it's incredible, a Starrett calibration 🤪 🤣
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA..... You are one of THOSE people eh??? I spent quite a bit of time and good money having my levels all serviced by Starrett at the same time, they machined the bottoms and calibrated them to each other, got to visit the Starrett Factory in Anthol Mass. Was all a very cool experience an all of my levels are consistent to one another and I am very very happy about it. I am soo happy it makes you think you are a funny guy, you have yourself a nice day.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA..... You are one of THOSE people eh??? I spent quite a bit of time and good money having my levels all serviced by Starrett at the same time, they machined the bottoms and calibrated them to each other, got to visit the Starrett Factory in Anthol Mass. Was all a very cool experience an all of my levels are consistent to one another and I am very very happy about it. I am soo happy it makes you think you are a funny guy, you have yourself a nice day.
You had to get the bases re-ground (not sure they would be machined) ? The procedure to calibrate the levelness is very straightforward and anyone who owns a 98 should be able to do it, but if the base gets warped I can see how someone would send it away rather than hand scrape / lap etc. on your own.

Dave <-- owns two 98s and has replaced the glass vial in his 98-6

EL Picos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best way to warp a high precision level 🤣

6-Float.jpg

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
You had to get the bases re-ground (not sure they would be machined) ? The procedure to calibrate the levelness is very straightforward and anyone who owns a 98 should be able to do it, but if the base gets warped I can see how someone would send it away rather than hand scrape / lap etc. on your own.

Dave <-- owns two 98s and has replaced the glass vial in his 98-6
Hi Dave!
Not exactly sure what process they used, but they told me all of them had surface rust and pitting on the bottoms. I could not "see" that, but, I do understand with the naked eye, I aint seeing nothing or feeling nothing there. I trust them, they manufactured them.

I know nothing about them and not in the Starrett level "fixin" business, I am a pool table dealer, salesman and also moonlight as a delivery driver/table tech :) I am also aware of YOUTUBE, I do not care to learn, If I am not working I have surfing, skateboarding and fishing to do when I am not with my wife and 3 year old. I am now on a schedule of dropping them off in Anthol Mass, on my way up to Maine and picking them up on the way down once a year. I go there at least twice a year and I love doing face to face business, so its convenient for me and they are the BEST AT BEING STARRETT. Being that they are levels, I don't like shipping them either. I learned to leave my business with Starrett directly, Ray Marquis is the head of the calibration department and is one heck of a nice guy!!!! He helped me through the entire process. I had been referred to a company in Canton , MI and they literally were the worst, it was SOOOOO BAD, they even decided to pay my almost $500 bill with Starrett because their Attorney told them it would be in their best interest!!! AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA. WIN FOR ME. I think its interesting how the whole thing worked out, at the end of the day I will always pay Starrett to take care of my levels once a year because it makes me happy. :)

TFT

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
Hi Dave!
Not exactly sure what process they used, but they told me all of them had surface rust and pitting on the bottoms. I could not "see" that, but, I do understand with the naked eye, I aint seeing nothing or feeling nothing there. I trust them, they manufactured them.

I know nothing about them and not in the Starrett level "fixin" business, I am a pool table dealer, salesman and also moonlight as a delivery driver/table tech :) I am also aware of YOUTUBE, I do not care to learn, If I am not working I have surfing, skateboarding and fishing to do when I am not with my wife and 3 year old. I am now on a schedule of dropping them off in Anthol Mass, on my way up to Maine and picking them up on the way down once a year. I go there at least twice a year and I love doing face to face business, so its convenient for me and they are the BEST AT BEING STARRETT. Being that they are levels, I don't like shipping them either. I learned to leave my business with Starrett directly, Ray Marquis is the head of the calibration department and is one heck of a nice guy!!!! He helped me through the entire process. I had been referred to a company in Canton , MI and they literally were the worst, it was SOOOOO BAD, they even decided to pay my almost $500 bill with Starrett because their Attorney told them it would be in their best interest!!! AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA. WIN FOR ME. I think its interesting how the whole thing worked out, at the end of the day I will always pay Starrett to take care of my levels once a year because it makes me happy. :)

TFT
Just curious, what do they charge for calibration and surface grinding? PM if you prefer.

EL Picos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A 5 year old kid can calibrated easily and perfectly any machinist level, concerning the surface when you can't see and finger touch nothing it's because it's very close to the nothing reality, and one thing to don't forget these levels are .005 mil/feet or .47mm/meter, it's a joke!

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Hi Dave!

TFT

Your choice of course but a Starrett machinist level can be adjusted to "level" in 1 or 2 minutes with only a wrench and a reasonable place to set/hard-stop the level. That is one of the great things about machinist levels (not only Starrett, all properly built machinist level). Most Starrett level owners do this (before this thread I thought all but apparently that is not the case). Of course not spending money unnecessarily makes me happy ;)

Dave

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A 5 year old kid can calibrated easily and perfectly any machinist level, concerning the surface when you can't see and finger touch nothing it's because it's very close to the nothing reality, and one thing to don't forget these levels are .005 mil/feet or .47mm/meter, it's a joke!

That's because you are familiar with machine systems, and it is not a problem for you to spend your time that way. I imagine you own or have access to at least 1 (or more?) surface plates to inspect for flat. Starrett castings are not unknown to warp, though they probably don't wear very rapidly despite slate and chalky cloth being abrasive.

You could probably take a good surface plate to Trent's, a small scraper or 2, some diamond laps to keep them in shape, a tube of hi-spot, maybe something to inspect the surface plate from time to time.....see where this is going....? Then given how fast he learns stuff, probably teach him to touch-up scrape and dial in a level in an afternoon.

OTOH, He's a professional at what he does, maybe he would prefer to use his spare time
.....surfing, skateboarding and fishing to do when I am not with my wife and 3 year old.

I picked up a 6" Starrett machinist level for $20 at a garage sale. Should I even bother using it to try and level a pool table?

Similar looking levels come in a range of sensitivities. 98-'s are aprox 80 - 90 arc sec, or aprox .005"/ft. Castings for frames similar to the 98- under discussion came with vials as sensitive as 10 arc sec/ .00058/ft for special purposes (will drive you nuts/useless on a pool table). Then they made cheaper levels on the same frame with blown but not ground vials, (97- IIRC) for which the sensitivity is outside .005"/ft and ambiguous.

If yours is a ground vial .005"/ft, it can be used alone, or with a scraped parallel of any length(s). Or even a ground parallel. I understand that such gages would not be common in the tool kits of people who aren't machinists. It could work fine to set up your own table. It could be a time killer for a pro to schlep to jobs. :)