Magic Eraser on yellow micarta.

hurricane145

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All I have ever used to clean ferrules is a dab of toothpaste with a drop two of water smeared around the ferrule and polished off with a cloth. Always works just fine here in the old school world.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I figured asking here would yield quicker results.

I imagine for reasons of liability, no manufacturer is going to recommend using an abrasive on an asbestos-based product.

From the amount of residue you will get, it is nothing to worry about. Put on gloves, wear a covid mask that you have 30 of in the drawer, wipe down the ferrule when done with a paper towel, done.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i use ME with 90% alcohol to clean shafts. worKs fine. if you just want to clean a ferrule a white drafting eraser works great.
I distill mine with with rock salt. Since it's not for disinfection, the closer it is to 100% the better it works. Raises the grain less for one.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tip for those buying the magic eraser, get the generic melanine foam from Amazon or eBay, much cheaper. It's a bit less sturdy than the major brands but not by much. https://www.amazon.com/Trendbox-Cleaning-Melamine-Multi-Functional-Bathroom/dp/B07WNNR4JB/ref=sr_1_7?crid=3T07CALYEXWPL&keywords=melamine+foam&qid=1679758495&sprefix=melanine+foam,aps,75&sr=8-7 I use it for everything from counters to dishes to cues, even saved a $600 monitor years ago my son drew on with a marker. I keep a "cue care" kit in my bag now since invariably I run into people that ask me about cues/shafts and one of the first things they say is "I need to clean my shaft/tip up a bit". Foam block, a few 600/1000/2000 grit sandpaper squares and a shaping tool, a mini portable cue repair kit that can handle 90% of cleanup and even light ding removal with some wet paper to raise the dent and a bit of light sanding to smooth it out.

gutshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A high percentage of the old micarta out there is not asbestos based. What did contain asbestos was for the military. If you are worried about it, use a proper mask while cleaning.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A high percentage of the old micarta out there is not asbestos based. What did contain asbestos was for the military. If you are worried about it, use a proper mask while cleaning.
i seriously doubt that you're going to create dust while cleaning a ferule. don't need any mask.