Making Bowls / Containers w/ Exotic Wood

Billyard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was at a friends house yesterday and she showed me some fancy bowls/containers with a lid that she had commissioned from a woodworker. These bowls were made of woods like Purpleheart, Bolivian Rosewood, Ebony etc. In looking at the woodworking; the quality of wood was decent and the workmanship was just OK. Nothing like the workmanship I have seen on Cues and Joint Protectors from the folks here.

I was thinking about asking a cuemaker here to make me a small piece that I could show her. I would be willing to pay for this and I think I would like to use something like Purpleheart or something else feminine. I would like to maybe have it spliced with radial Veneers or maybe spliced with another type of wood. I would then like a matching lid with maybe a little classy emblem.

If this is something a cuemaker is interested in doing then please shoot me a PM with some ideas and cost.
 
I have done some wood turning, mainly bowls and pens. I have done both segmented and solid wood projects. Are you interested in a bowl, or just spindle piece like a forearm? I might have some scraps of wood that are already spliced lying around that I could mail you. Let me know what you're looking for.

Also keep in mind the tolerances for making a bowl are much larger than making a cue. It's more an art of finding the shape that you (as the wood turner) feels works for a certain piece of wood.

EDIT: just re-read you post and it seems like you want a completed piece. Still curious as to what kind of project you want.
 
Last edited:
Let me take a picture of a few of the completed pieces so you can see what I am looking for. I am not looking for a specific shape but instead something similar of better quality.
 
7a8u3ysy.jpg


Here is a picture of some of the bowls / containers
 
Brad Adams

This guy is a good friend of mine and has some of the nicest woods and finishes you will see. He also has a large selection of available products and is making new ones all the time. He made me a cutting board maple with ebony bands that has lasted 13 years with daily use. Contact him and he will make you whatever you like.



http://www.benicia.com/gallery.htm

-dj
 
Last edited:
This guy is a good friend of mine and has some of the nicest woods and finishes you will see. He also has a large selection of available products and is making new ones all the time. He made me a cutting board maple with ebony bands that has lasted 13 years with daily use. Contact him and he will make you whatever you like.



http://www.benicia.com/gallery.htm

-dj

I've not heard of this guy, but it looks like he lives near me. Seems like he does nice stuff!
 
Back
Top