Making your own cue

CamposCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Offut

Kelly_Guy said:
I just noticed where you are from... Air Force brat here, I lived at the base there in Omaha when I was a kid.

I've lived here all my life and have met a lot of interesting people from the base. It would have been nice if John Joubert the serial killer wouldn't have gotten stationed here but other than that the air force folks are cool.

It just so happened the first cue builder I contacted was kind of an ass but pretty much all the others have been real helpful and have helped me keep most of my cues on the pool table and out of the fire place. I'd of been in trouble when I was trying to learn veneers if it wasn't for the folks from the forum. They've also been real helpful on what equipment to buy or not to buy based on experiences they have already had. Saved me a few dollars no doubt...much appreciated.

SnakePool

Number 1 Photo Guy
Silver Member
I'm lucky, the cuemaker I work for is teaching me everything I want to know about cuemaking. I'm starting out with sneaky pete's, well not so sneaky after I'm thru with them. My advice would be to seek out a cuemaker and ask for an apprenticeship.

Not just Prather but alot of the full-spliced blanks come from Schmelke.

Chris' Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was fortunate to meet and become friends with a cue maker. Even though he lived 3 hours away, I would visit every month or two, spend the weekend shooting pool and watching him in the shop. Then I bought a lath and materials and started building cues myself. At first it wasn't a problem. But the more equipment I bought and the more cues I started to sell, It was like he got jelous,and now wont even hardly speak when I run into him. I have built around 200 cues, with the last batch containing a Ivory handled cue with Ivory points and spears, with 53 Lapis inlays. Looks like an Ivory cue with Ebony outlines, Drop dead georgous. This wouldn't have been possible without him, even though he puts me and my work down as being inferior. That has made me strive to make the best hitting cues that I can, and try to make them look as good as possible.
If you want to try to make cues, Go for it. They get better with each one you make.

PoolSleuth

Banned
JoeyInCali said:
I knew two local makers who bought them and one claimed 30 makers make their spliced cues from Prather's blanks.
I don't have to share you jakksquat.

I think you are just a Keyboard Commando want to be Cuemaker who makes claim you can not back up....:)

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
PoolSleuth said:
I think you are just a Keyboard Commando want to be Cuemaker who makes claim you can not back up....:)
Lemme consult with a lawyer before I name two of them for you.
Get back with me next year, Bruce. That'll give me almost year of crapless time from you.
You are Bruce, aren't you?
Makers using Prather components is common knowledge.
Verl Horln made and sold blanks as well.
Where did Bushka buy his blanks from?

Last edited:

PoolSleuth

Banned
JoeyInCali said:
Get back with me next year, Bruce. That'll give me almost year of crapless time from you.
You are Bruce, aren't you?
Makers using Prather components is common knowledge.
Verl Horln made and sold blanks as well.
Where did Bushka buy his blanks from?

Prather components have to be going somewhere, and it would be interesting to know who say they build from scratch, and just assembling parts....;)

Bushka got his blanks from who?

P.S. Actually Joey I am totally surprised you are not at the Hopkins Expo observing the Craft of Cue Building, as I understand that is where the Best of the Best ALL Display their Cues one a year... Plus all the Big time buyers from Off Shore come to purchase from the best of the best.

Last edited:

PoolSleuth

Banned
SnakePool said:
I'm lucky, the cuemaker I work for is teaching me everything I want to know about cuemaking. I'm starting out with sneaky pete's, well not so sneaky after I'm thru with them. My advice would be to seek out a cuemaker and ask for an apprenticeship.

I am curious as too how long you have been an apprentice, and how much longer before you feel you can go out on you own and build Cues.

Saying nothing about the Capitol Investment you will need in Equipment, Machinery, Hand tools, etc. you will need to turn Wood Block, Metal, and other Assorted Materials into finished Salable cue....

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PoolSleuth said:
I am curious as too how long you have been an apprentice, and how much longer before you feel you can go out on you own and build Cues.

Saying nothing about the Capitol Investment you will need in Equipment, Machinery, Hand tools, etc. you will need to turn Wood Block, Metal, and other Assorted Materials into finished Salable cue....

I notice that you joined this forum less than 5 months ago and have made 1,113 posts. That's about seven a day. I was just wondering if in any of those posts you have added any content worth remembering or have they all been, like I've been reading in this link, nothing more than criticism by someone with an apparent attitude problem.

Dick

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
rhncue said:
I notice that you joined this forum less than 5 months ago and have made 1,113 posts. That's about seven a day. I was just wondering if in any of those posts you have added any content worth remembering or have they all been, like I've been reading in this link, nothing more than criticism by someone with an apparent attitude problem.

Dick
Bruce will probably get banned again and will register under another alias.
Has anyone here met Bruce in person btw?
P.S. Actually Joey I am totally surprised you are not at the Hopkins Expo observing the Craft of Cue Building, as I understand that is where the Best of the Best ALL Display their Cues one a year... Plus all the Big time buyers from Off Shore come to purchase from the best of the best

Observing the craft of cue building? What, they're making cues inside that building?

Last edited:

ShaneS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PoolSleuth,

Not to overstep my bounds, but Joey trained under one of the top current cuemakers- Kerry Zeiler- and best cuemaker in the Phillipines- Edwin Reyes. Plus, he is one of the nicest cuemakers that I have ever dealt with, and is easily one of the most respectable guys on this forum. Also, I believe Joey knows more about machines and machining than most professional machinists, and likewise with cuemaking and cuemakers.

If you would like to see quality craftsmanship, send me an email address. I would be glad to show you an example or two of Joey's cues.

-ShaneS

PoolSleuth said:

Reactions: Jon

Gerald

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He is not at the Expo because he is finishing my Bubinga cue and has already served his apprenticeship and makes a great hitting cue. How about you?

bandido

Player Power!
Silver Member
JoeyInCali said:
Here's one that you won't need a lawywr for. When I was in transition from doing Level1 to Level2 cues (early 90s when Prather's only had photocopied catalogs), I bought a 6point high-low from Prather's to better understand how I think pointwork is done. Thank goodness that they were around then as I didn't have the luxury of having internet instant info and guidance plus proximity to an experienced cuemaker.

Now, #2 is ....LOL!

olsonsview

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A good start

A good place to start cue building if a local craftsman is not possible is Chris Hightowers excellent book. He also has videos, as do others, but a book is easier to refer to and goes into more nuances of the craft and art of cuebuilding. His site is at: http://www.cuesmith.com/index.php?page=home
He sells simple lathes to do the job. I prefer metal lathes myself, but it helps to have one before yah start, if not so lucky, then look closely at his equipment, very practical stuff.

PoolSleuth

Banned
JoeyInCali said:
Bruce will probably get banned again and will register under another alias.

Well I think you better check the BANNED LIST their, as I think the So Cal Air is cause you is interfering with your thought process. There is no “Bruce” on it. So it got to be all that SMOG is So Cal getting to you

I live in So. Cal in the 50-80’s and that Air is Really Bad for your Health. Glad to be away from that Air.

Also our Moderator Mr. Wilson stay right on top of people who were BANNED, and Try to rejoin the Forum. They get booted again....

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
PoolSleuth said:
Well I think you better check the BANNED LIST their, as I think the So Cal Air is cause you is interfering with your thought process. There is no “Bruce” on it. So it got to be all that SMOG is So Cal getting to you

I live in So. Cal in the 50-80’s and that Air is Really Bad for your Health. Glad to be away from that Air.

Also our Moderator Mr. Wilson stay right on top of people who were BANNED, and Try to rejoin the Forum. They get booted again....
http://forums.azbilliards.com/member.php?u=5660
Somehow Bruce the ahole no longer shows any posts. Even though he posted here a ton and acted like a bitter old fart.
The smog is not getting to me. You are.

PoolSleuth

Banned
ShaneS said:
PoolSleuth,

Not to overstep my bounds, but Joey trained under one of the top current cuemakers- Kerry Zeiler- and best cuemaker in the Phillipines- Edwin Reyes. Plus, he is one of the nicest cuemakers that I have ever dealt with, and is easily one of the most respectable guys on this forum. Also, I believe Joey knows more about machines and machining than most professional machinists, and likewise with cuemaking and cuemakers.

If you would like to see quality craftsmanship, send me an email address. I would be glad to show you an example or two of Joey's cues.

-ShaneS

Well I know Joey works with or trained under Kerry Zeiler, but you have added information to his RESUME.

I would like to see the Two Cue, so Post em her so other can also see em.

Thanks....

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
~sitting here wondering why poolsleuth finds the fact that some makers use prathers parts something to get his panties in bunch about....after all why would prather sell parts if they weren't being used...damn that logic~