Marking your pocket

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Such a stupid, stupid rule. What gets me about it is that all balls are supposed to be called. So why make a big deal only about the 8-ball? Why not mark every pocket you shoot? Because it would be stupid, just like marking the 8-ball's pocket is stupid.

In APA, you don't have to call your shots, its any pocket anywhere... (Except the 8)

And of course, the reason for the rule is to eliminate any ambiguity about which pocket was actually called. If you've been around enough, you know that some people will nod in a direction, others will make their call in a manner that isn't specifically clear "across", etc. "That's what I meant", I can hear that now.

It supposed to eliminate issues, yet it creates others. Simpler, really, to just mark the damn thing and not have to worry about it.

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Worst thing I've seen is an 8-ball hanging in the corner, and my teammate putting his marker on the rail by the pocket, then having it fall just before he shot - opponent tried to say he didn't mark his pocket....

The things some people do for wins...

Then, when I played my match against their team captain who came with the complaint - I marked my pocket with my phone, wallet, car keys, tip shaper, piece of chalk, and joint protector... it kinda made him a little mad ;)

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Really? In APA you cant just call or point to your pocket?

By the rules, no. You are required to mark it.

In session play, even tri cup around here, as long as both players agree, calling the pocket is acceptable. At states, however, the rule is enforced.

liakos

Banned
If you play someone like that, Make sure to put the pocket marker by the pocket, along with all the chalk, and maybe two house cues propped up against the table if it is a corner pocket. If the rack will stand on end, that could be placed by the pocket too, or maybe some empty beer bottles.

There will be not doubt of your called pocket.

Lmao!!!!! A few years back I had a similar situation! So on the next game, the 8 was by the side pocket, I grabbed my phone, a few peices of chalk, 2 stools, and my pool bag put them all by the side pocket! Got down to shoot the 8, before I shot I got up and looked at my infuriated opponent and said right to his face, "8-ball, side pocket"!

JBB2388

Banger Extraordinaire
Silver Member
If you play someone like that, Make sure to put the pocket marker by the pocket, along with all the chalk, and maybe two house cues propped up against the table if it is a corner pocket. If the rack will stand on end, that could be placed by the pocket too, or maybe some empty beer bottles.

There will be not doubt of your called pocket.

This^^^. Would have made the a-hole feel like the douche that he is.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lmao!!!!! A few years back I had a similar situation! So on the next game, the 8 was by the side pocket, I grabbed my phone, a few peices of chalk, 2 stools, and my pool bag put them all by the side pocket! Got down to shoot the 8, before I shot I got up and looked at my infuriated opponent and said right to his face, "8-ball, side pocket"!

Try marking the correct pocket; then, call, nod, and point at three other pockets, get down, stand back up, call the last two wrong pockets, and finally make the ball in the marked pocket.

Inaction

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it was in the first SD State 8-ball tournament that I went to in the mid 80's that little trophies with a small 8 ball were used to mark the pocket on the 13 tables. A year or two later, a patch was used.

I can understand the reasoning to remove all doubt by using a marker. A guy shoots for the side and catches the tip, sending the 8 to the corner pocket, then claims that he called it. Without a ref present, it would likely be a rerack. But it opened a new can of worms.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a shot where the patch was still at the pocket from the previous match. I just shot it in and I was told I lost. Well really I didn't. And it was straighten out before the next game started. Amazing how many people do not read the rule book.

We had another match where the patch was missing. My team mate asked his opponent if he had a patch. He said no. So my team mate took out his upper dentures and placed them by the pocket. I don't know how he made the shot with all of us laughing so friggin hard!

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In APA, you don't have to call your shots, its any pocket anywhere... (Except the 8)

And of course, the reason for the rule is to eliminate any ambiguity about which pocket was actually called. If you've been around enough, you know that some people will nod in a direction, others will make their call in a manner that isn't specifically clear "across", etc. "That's what I meant", I can hear that now.

It supposed to eliminate issues, yet it creates others. Simpler, really, to just mark the damn thing and not have to worry about it.

Wow I'm glad I don't play APA. No other rules are like that. And how often is there a question about which pocket was called? Unless you're a douche, there's never a problem. It's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

RFranklin

Ready, fire...aim
Silver Member
Marking

Our captain was playing in Tri Cups and while it wasnt a hanger it was obvious the corner he had to shoot the eight. He marked the pocket with a beer coaster and walked around to shoot. I guess he either bumped it down the rail just past the halfway point or the wind :confused: moved it. He made the shot and of course she (an SL 3) called him. It was pretty chicken sh*% but he didnt say a word. Cost him his match but our team pulled it out.

I got called on it by another female 3 in Top Gun. I had a long rail shot, marked it and rattled it leaving it on the end rail. Picked up my marker. She missed, I remarked and tried to spin it in, rattled right back. Missed and it went back. Picked up my marker and SAME Flippin thing but it stayed in the jar. She missed, I pointed and she called me on it after acknowleding my pointed. Really threw me off and I lost with me winning 5 to her 2 because I E08 later. Caught her on the way back and her husband and blanked them both. Karma is a *****.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can understand the reasoning to remove all doubt by using a marker. A guy shoots for the side and catches the tip, sending the 8 to the corner pocket, then claims that he called it. Without a ref present, it would likely be a rerack.
You've got to be kidding. A rerack? There's no doubt whatsoever in that situation. What the hell is the difference between that and just claiming that the ball actually did go into the side, "you can't prove it, nah nah nah, we have to rerack."

moneytalks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try marking the correct pocket; then, call, nod, and point at three other pockets, get down, stand back up, call the last two wrong pockets, and finally make the ball in the marked pocket.

LOL! This is awesome. I'm doing this for sure. I actually did put my wallet, phone, keys, and chalk on the last pocket. To my surprise, the guy racked the balls again like he hasn't just lost the match. I said it was over, and he had to get with the scorer to realize he lost 4 straight. This was a hill hill rack! You better believe I know when someone is on the hill.

"Dude went full retard. Never go full retard. Tom Hanks in Forest Gump..wins all the awards... Sean Penn in I Am Sam.... Nothing!"

mark187

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never used a marker. Don't even verbally call if the intended shot is so obvious, like a six inch tap in. If someone calls me up, I laugh as if they are joking. Usually it does the trick.

ONCE this did not work, and I couldn't be bothered to argue. To make my point, for every rack I won after that, I would place my cue between my legs when on the 8 ball, and thrust my cue into the cb to make the pot. I would then ask the guy how he felt about losing to my 'penis cue'. I won the match and felt like I had the moral victory......went home with a black eye. Still think I won that battle though!

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow I'm glad I don't play APA. No other rules are like that. And how often is there a question about which pocket was called? Unless you're a douche, there's never a problem. It's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

I just started playing in TAP few weeks ago, it's the same thing with marking the 8, but unlike the APA it's a called shot leauge. And you don't have to mark any other ball except the 8.

Usually when two higher ranked players play there is respect and people agree to not actually mark the thing.

The interesting part is that I was told you can agree with someone not to have to mark it, then have the other guy pull out the rule about marking it on you. I really don't see anyone pulling that unless they were just total asshats and did not care that everyone in the league knew that.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I asked one guy if I needed to mark my pocket? He said yeah, in a condenscending tone...

So, I go to my case, start searching for a "marker", pull out some stuff, then some more stuff, and then decide to use a use a tapper as my marker.... then walked back to table, marked pocket. Then walked back to my case, got my chalk. Then walked back to table, and began to chalk. Then stared at the hanger for a least a full minute. Then moved my marker to the worst pocket possible.... then stared at the shot, then moved marker to the best pocket, looked over shoot again for one minute... then get down in my best Ed Norton impersonation.... and fire in the 8b.

Then put my marker back in my case. The next game I ask about marker, and he still says yes. I go to my case, and start searching for my marker... and he yells, why did you put your marker away, just leave it out.

I said, very nicely, " cause the rules don't say to keep the marker out", thus I thought best to put it back, each and every time. Then went through my whole routine again.

Never had to mark my pocket with that team again ;)

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
The interesting part is that I was told you can agree with someone not to have to mark it, then have the other guy pull out the rule about marking it on you. I really don't see anyone pulling that unless they were just total asshats and did not care that everyone in the league knew that.

Thats the problem with asshats, you dont know they are asshats till they pull an asshat move.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I asked one guy if I needed to mark my pocket? He said yeah, in a condenscending tone...

So, I go to my case, start searching for a "marker", pull out some stuff, then some more stuff, and then decide to use a use a tapper as my marker.... then walked back to table, marked pocket. Then walked back to my case, got my chalk. Then walked back to table, and began to chalk. Then stared at the hanger for a least a full minute. Then moved my marker to the worst pocket possible.... then stared at the shot, then moved marker to the best pocket, looked over shoot again for one minute... then get down in my best Ed Norton impersonation.... and fire in the 8b.

Then put my marker back in my case. The next game I ask about marker, and he still says yes. I go to my case, and start searching for my marker... and he yells, why did you put your marker away, just leave it out.

I said, very nicely, " cause the rules don't say to keep the marker out", thus I thought best to put it back, each and every time. Then went through my whole routine again.

Never had to mark my pocket with that team again ;)

I would still make you patch it. Just to sit back and watch the show!
:lol::lol:

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Most of the teams in all of our local VNEA divisions have dropped using a Pocket Marker.

The Upper levels never used one.

I just hated saying, "Nice game but you didn't mark your pocket, so I didn't. I would give it to them anyway. I would get flack for it occasionally from team mates but I wouldn't take what I would call as an unfair win.

I mean, come on, it was obvious as to where you were intending the 8 to go.

Now, if the 8 made 4 rails and hopped into any pocket, that would be questionable.

In my early days, I was called on it a couple of times. I would just think, ok, if you need the game that bad, its yours, and I will remember you for next time.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
What I love is making the agreement to call the pocket and when I shoot the 8ball some nimrod on the other team will begin to scream "he didn't mark his pocket".
While they calm him down I have a chance to use the restroom and get a drink.