Masse cue/ shaft

Jobba786

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am looking for opinions.

I would like to try a masse cue, and I am unsure how to approach it. I see there are masse shafts for sale that can be attachted to a 3/8x10 pinned butt. Anyone with experience on using a masse shaft on a regular pool butt?

I any case any suggestions on where I should look or with whom I should get in contact for a masse shaft or masse cue?

Thanks in advance,
Jon Birger

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am looking for opinions.

I would like to try a masse cue, and I am unsure how to approach it. I see there are masse shafts for sale that can be attachted to a 3/8x10 pinned butt. Anyone with experience on using a masse shaft on a regular pool butt?

I any case any suggestions on where I should look or with whom I should get in contact for a masse shaft or masse cue?

Thanks in advance,
Jon Birger
I have two or three masse shafts that go on a standard pool butt. They seem to work fine. The total length is about 50 inches. One problem is that if you want the total weight to be more than your normal cue configuration, you need to add weight somehow.

If you already have a shaft with a fast taper, it may be thick enough (7 inches back from the current tip) to make a masse shaft just with the addition of a ferrule. I'd guess you would want a traditional solid shaft for that kind of modification.

Jobba786

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see the weight issue. I have seen most masse cues are around 23 to 25 oz. I am not to sure about the idea of cutting down a shaft of mine myself. First of all there is only one shaft in question, and secondly and most important I do have a lathe, but it is mainly for maintenance, changing tips and wrapping, not set up for making ferrules. I have seen Joe Nilssen selling masse shafts with 3/8x10 thread on e-bay for around 50 usd, but the weight of the shaft is not mentioned. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Masse-S...432?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35cc9a1fc8
Anyway I guess the added weight should be in the butt section because a 20 inch shaft cannot be very heavy anyway.

Any cuemakers making a decent masse cue for around 200-300 usd. I have also been thinking about Longoni, but it will for sure cost me more. At the moment I am more experimental, and a used masse cue would also be of great interest.

Maybe I should make a duplicate in the Wanted/ For Sale section.

-Jon Birger

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you might want to check out ebay.Eric Yow masse cues go for US$250 on there,I believe. Not sure who actually makes them.His jump cues looks nice,too.

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
eric yow's masse cue...http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eric-The-Pr...ultDomain_0&hash=item4856fe53d3#ht_2586wt_749

those shaft for yow's masse cue. Should measure your cue joint diameter and ask for the diameter of their shaft.

Two Custom maker are BHQ and Crown Cues. Other than second market for Masse cue.

What type of Masse with cue ... Are you going to do? One answer just buy a Shorty Cue or one piece cue. Drill end and add weight either with steel screw stock or melted lead.

There enough posts/info on masse cue by just doing an AZBilliards forum search.