Master the art of aiming and never miss another ball.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Boxcar
I think you should start your own thread
I am as serious as .......

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm not playing. I'm as serious as a heart attack.

In your initial definition, your listed three components. I think there may be more. We have since brought up emotionality. Should we also bring up psychology? Let's say the "house" metaphor speaks to what goes on inside a player who has good-to- excellent command of basic physical shot-making skills. But his youngest son is a Down's baby. I don't care how tough you are, you don't forget that and leave it behind.

"The World is too much with us, late and soon."- Wordsworth

So here we go. It's Friday night. There's a pretty sporty little event going on down at the Choke and Puke. Momma isn't really jake on me going. Stella has a date with a multi-racial middle eastern boy. Bobby can't stop moaning and rocking on his "floor pillow," and the dog should probably be taken to the vet.

If I have any expectation of winning back my entry fee, certain things are going to have to be in place.

I believe that it is important to identify, define and then gain control over, all of the components which go to build a place where my game can flourish.

We started with 3 components, then advanced to 4. How many other things floating around out there in the Bozone must be identified, trained, mastered, and applied before we stroke The Golden Fleece?

1000 hours? 5000 hours? Videos? Systems? Voodoo?

I'm as serious as Lung Cancer.

According to scientific research involving complicated skill/talent development, about 10,000 hours of quality practice is needed to master physical skills, to ingrain the process into our mind so that we perform via the implicit system of brain function, like riding a bike or walking down the street -- we don't think about it, we just do it.

But even at this level of physical and mental skill, psychology comes into play and can potentially make us feel like complete beginners. It's no different than walking down the sidewalk with a million thoughts running through your mind, your job and your wife and your kids and that damn car battery that just died and sent you off on two feet. All of this sits on your shoulders as you walk. It taps at your head with each step, then you walk right out into the street and nearly get hit by a bus. What happened? You know how to walk and you know how stop walking. You mastered all that years ago. Have you suddenly lost it? No. Your brain was on cruise control, walking controlled with the brain's implicit system. Yet your explicit system, your conscious thoughts, caused a glitch in the overall process. You are still a master at walking, but the performance of this task can easily be influenced by uncontrolled emotions and the physiological state of mind. Walking is probably not a good example because it's not considered a complicated skill, but once learned it does operate from the same implicit brain system as more complicated skills.

Last edited:

JackOfNoTrades

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A good starting point for you would be to ignore me completely.
Since you said, in a previous post, that you bought the poolology book..right away that creates a conflict. Seeing as how I don't believe a word of the poolology book concerning aiming pool shots. Which means we are at crossed purposes.
I am a student of another method.
So, as a new member, you can have peace here by not paying attention to anything I post.
Isn't freedom wonderful?
Good wishes to you and have a successful journey in your pool aiming.:thumbup2:

But what if I were interested in your posts? Should I still ignore them? That’d be too bad because I couldn’t learn from them.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A good starting point for you would be to ignore me completely.
Since you said, in a previous post, that you bought the poolology book..right away that creates a conflict. Seeing as how I don't believe a word of the poolology book concerning aiming pool shots. Which means we are at crossed purposes.
I am a student of another method.
So, as a new member, you can have peace here by not paying attention to anything I post.
Isn't freedom wonderful?
Good wishes to you and have a successful journey in your pool aiming.:thumbup2:

You make it sound like you are part of a cult.

Poolology and CTE are different ways of arriving at the same point.

One way may work better for some players than the other. I don't understand all of this my way is superior to yours. Do whatever works for you and care less about what the other guy is or isn't using. Most good players can't even tell you how they aim because they don't think about it.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

One way may work better for some players than the other. I don't understand all of this my way is superior to yours. Do whatever works for you and care less about what the other guy is or isn't using. Most good players can't even tell you how they aim because they don't think about it.
Your post has way too much common sense.....:wink:

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's say you know two routes on a highway to get to a certain place. One is filled with ditches, shaky old fashioned bridges, and poor directions. The other route has a nice smooth paved highway, well marked, and is easy to drive on. You can even walk on it if you choose to do so. Take your choice. I will take the latter...if that means I am a 'cult member', I like it. (remember, nobody is forcing you to join).
Have a good day.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's say you know two routes on a highway to get to a certain place. One is filled with ditches, shaky old fashioned bridges, and poor directions. The other route has a nice smooth paved highway, well marked, and is easy to drive on. You can even walk on it if you choose to do so. Take your choice. I will take the latter...if that means I am a 'cult member', I like it. (remember, nobody is forcing you to join).
Have a good day.

This your opinion. Have you ever thought that for some people CTE is the poorly described highway and other aiming systems are the smooth highway?

Let me ask you a question and I will be done with this thread. You decide to shoot a shot opposite handed. If you miss, do you blame your aim or stroke?

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
This your opinion. Have you ever thought that for some people CTE is the poorly described highway and other aiming systems are the smooth highway?

Let me ask you a question and I will be done with this thread. You decide to shoot a shot opposite handed. If you miss, do you blame your aim or stroke?

Great point! Stroke is muy importante!!!

As far as low's two routes analogy, if one is straight and smooth and simple, and the other is winding and full of various intersections with no signs leading the way, maybe the straight ahead road is the the best option. Of course, if you have the road builder riding shotgun with you through the winding road, you might find it easier to navigate. But he can't ride with everybody, so most are left on their own, taking wrong turns for years before they finally understand how to get where they're trying to go.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This your opinion. Have you ever thought that for some people CTE is the poorly described highway and other aiming systems are the smooth highway?<==then they are living in the past. Nobody can change the way they think but themselves. You probably haven't been around pool long enough, with an open mind, to arrive at that conclusion. I have. I have seen 'em all and done 'em all.
Answer to your question: I would blame both of them, aim and stroke.
I will say it again....nobody is forcing anybody to participate in CTE. You can do as you please and nobody will bother you about it. The democrats haven't come up with a law yet to force you to participate in it, thank goodness. If you're happy and satisfied with what you're doing about shooting pool, then by golly keep doing it.
My chosen delight is to inform as many people as I can that there is a better, stone cold accurate way to aim those pool shots. And it doesn't involve a bunch of math, fractions, or other superstitious mumbo jumbo. A thing it has in common with ALL aiming methods is you must have a good stroke. If you don't have a good stroke, you will have troubles..nobody has ever said anything different.
Stan Shuffett, my CTE Pro One coach, places great emphasis on a good clean stroke. (of course the skeptics never mention that about him. What they do is refer to him as a crackpot, snake oil salesman, and other terms of ridicule).
Good wishes to you in whatever you choose to do. I hope the 'highway' you select is a smooth efficient one, no matter which one it happens to be.
:thumbup2:

Last edited:

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great point! Stroke is muy importante!!!
As far as low's two routes analogy, if one is straight and smooth and simple, and the other is winding and full of various intersections with no signs leading the way, maybe the straight ahead road is the the best option. Of course, if you have the road builder riding shotgun with you through the winding road, you might find it easier to navigate. But he can't ride with everybody, so most are left on their own, taking wrong turns for years before they finally understand how to get where they're trying to go.
Shotguns are illegal while riding in cars in your state.
Guns are dangerous and have nothing to do with shooting pool

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
An example to prove the point of this thread:

While practicing before the tournament I put several 2 and 3 packs on an old buddy of mine. We played for about an hour and I never missed an open shot. Granted, these are Diamond bar boxes, not 9ft tables.

Anyway, when the tournament started I was lucky enough to draw the last position (5th) on my table. So I waited 4 games before playing. The guy broke dry and left no good shot to get from the 1 to the 2, so I played a safe, locked him up on the backside of a ball and sent the 1 up table toward the 2. I got a ball in hand and ran out. I broke and ran the next rack then broke and scratched. My opponent popped the 1-9 combo. I never got another open shot throughout the tournament!!

I waited for my turn. There was another really good player on the table (Justin Lazzaro). He was in 4th position. He got on a roll. I racked and he broke and ran out. I waited for my next turn.

Long story short...Lazzaro ended up giving me my last 4 loses. In this format you get 5 loses and you're out. He broke and ran 3 of my 4 games against him. The other loss was him running down to get out of line on the 8, so he safed me. The 8 was a few inches off the end rail at the opposite end of the table, cb about 10" behind the 9ball and a couple of inches off the end rail. I wanted to kick 2 rails, long rail to end rail behind the 8, sending the 8 toward the side pocket and sticking the cb. I figured if the 8 didn't drop it would go to the end rail, maybe even behind the 9. The 8 hit danced around the points on the side pocket and then bounced over toward the other side pocket and left the him out. 5 loses, no missed shots, a perfect loser. Lol

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An example to prove the point of this thread:
While practicing before the tournament I put several 2 and 3 packs on an old buddy of mine. We played for about an hour and I never missed an open shot. Granted, these are Diamond bar boxes, not 9ft tables.
Anyway, when the tournament started I was lucky enough to draw the last position (5th) on my table. So I waited 4 games before playing. The guy broke dry and left no good shot to get from the 1 to the 2, so I played a safe, locked him up on the backside of a ball and sent the 1 up table toward the 2. I got a ball in hand and ran out. I broke and ran the next rack then broke and scratched. My opponent popped the 1-9 combo. I never got another open shot throughout the tournament!!
I waited for my turn. There was another really good player on the table (Justin Lazzaro). He was in 4th position. He got on a roll. I racked and he broke and ran out. I waited for my next turn.
Long story short...Lazzaro ended up giving me my last 4 loses. In this format you get 5 loses and you're out. He broke and ran 3 of my 4 games against him. The other loss was him running down to get out of line on the 8, so he safed me. The 8 was a few inches off the end rail at the opposite end of the table, cb about 10" behind the 9ball and a couple of inches off the end rail. I wanted to kick 2 rails, long rail to end rail behind the 8, sending the 8 toward the side pocket and sticking the cb. I figured if the 8 didn't drop it would go to the end rail, maybe even behind the 9. The 8 hit danced around the points on the side pocket and then bounced over toward the other side pocket and left the him out. 5 loses, no missed shots, a perfect loser. Lol
To quote a friend of yours around this place (Patrick Johnson): That explains why you're so miserable.

Last edited:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
To quote a friend of yours around this place (Patrick Johnson): That explains why you're so miserable.

The difference is....I'm not miserable. :grin-square:

You may not be miserable either, just come off that way with your negativity on anything other than CTE and Stan Shuffett.

Last edited:

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Master the art of aiming and never miss another ball.

Now that's a fireball sentence right there! Most would say it's an impossibility, a pipedream, nothing but words written for positive thinking suckers. Lol. But let's look at the potential of making this impossible dream a reality.

I don't know a single pool player that never misses a shot on occassion. But I and countless others have played entire matches or long gambling sessions where we never missed a ball we intended to make, which means for that brief time period we got a taste of mastering the art of aiming, of never missing a ball. I wish it occurred more often, as does every other pool player out there. And I believe it can occur more often if we invest in quality practice. A player can continue moving up in skill level and consistency by incorporating and maintaining good practice habits. That's the toughest part about developing consistent, excellent skills -- it takes practice, practice, and more practice.

Now consider this.... One of the most important keys to playing good pool is similar to playing good poker. You have to be able to recognize the difference between low percentage and high percentage opportunities, and be disciplined enough to avoid the low percentage stuff. If you continually play low percentage hands you will lose far more than you win. The same thing applies in pool. I watch players do it all the time, selling out games because they fire at too many low percentage shots.

In competition you should avoid shooting any shot that you don't know or don't believe you can make. This strategy alone will increase your shot making consistency. Over time, with practice and experience, you will acquire the skills and knowledge to turn a few low percentage shots into high percentage shots. Of course there will be times when you have no other option but to attempt a low percentage shot. This happens, and all you can do is give it your best effort.

Knowing your current limitations, as far as what a low or high percentage shot means to you, is part of mastering the art of aiming. It's like a dance, and it doesn't matter if you don't know a million steps/moves -- you can stick to the moves you know, and as long as there's music...you can dance!

This same strategy can work in your pool game. Stick to what you know 100%, adding to your knowledge base little by little through practice. Quit losing games by thinking you can make every shot you see. Eventually you might be that good, but until then play within your known limitations, shooting only the shots that you honestly believe you can make most every time. No guessing. Do this and I guarantee you'll find yourself having matches or entire nights where you never miss a ball. If you can do it once then you can do it again.

A M E N!

Great posting matey!

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A M E N!
Great posting matey!
Your signature line reads....
"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother."......Albert Einstein
Albert Einstein never said that. :shrug:
Where do you guys come up with this stuff....

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother."......Albert Einstein
The idea is sound - you should think about how it applies to you.

pj
chgo

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

i think he did
einstein quote.jpg