Matchroom WNT Premier League Pool (PLP) 18-25 March2024, Connecticut, $100K Prize Fund

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Group play for an event like this is a niche product for nerds. The same could be said about the early rounds of any pool tournament. Hopefully the final stages have some more excitement.

yea, this will never ever be a super popular event. i think any sport would struggle to keep interest up when they're playing non-stop from morning to evening, match over, next two guys in. but it's good for the bookies and the betting junkies:

Screenshot_20240321_203917_Chrome.jpg

for a 16 player event it's a lot of matches if you're into that

Scrunge19

Registered
I’m sure it’s difficult to focus on playing your best while simultaneously dealing with the chaos of running a business during an event. So the poor play to this point isn’t entirely unexpected. As always, it’s Jayson’s attitude that invites controversy but it is what it is.

jbart65

Watching this Filler/He free match on YT. I tried to look at it objectively and, man, pool must be the most boring thing in the world to watch for the casual fan. Sure, we all on here love it, and a good commentary team helps, but to grow the sport like everyone seems to want to do, the product has to be more exciting for casual and even non fans. Imagine trying to get a teenager to watch?

The monotonous clacking of balls, quiet as a morgue, save for the occasional polite golf clap, absolutely no excitement. I am not saying every tourney has to be as hype as the MC, but this would be brutal for a mass audience. Even golf has the "Get in the hole" yelled after the ball is struck...I absolutely get it is a free stream without commentary, but I can't imagine any new player/fan stumbling on this stream and thinking to themselves "heck, yeah, I gotta buy that stream" or "going to one of these tourneys would be so fun!"

Rant off...
An event like this is too long for casual fans. It’s for pool geeks, no doubt.

The ideal atmosphere for other events is probaby a cross between MC and Hanoi. The players certainly hammed it up a bit more at the Mosconi. Especially Shaw and Filler.

But most of the best players are too polite and reserved.

I doubt pool will ever attract many casual fans in the U.S. no matter what, but I will always wonder how the MC would do on ESPN with a little promotion.

Fans should always be encouraged to be vocal in between shots. Like in tennis. Any sports event is dead, as we saw during Covid, without fans.

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yea, this will never ever be a super popular event. i think any sport would struggle to keep interest up when they're playing non-stop from morning to evening, match over, next two guys in. but it's good for the bookies and the betting junkies:

View attachment 750004

for a 16 player event it's a lot of matches if you're into that

For this fan, this is the perfect format. Only the very best players (at least, mostly) and quick short races which allows for a quite varied viewing experience--after about 30 maaybe 40 mins, it's on to the next match. Everyone plays everyone else so and therefore gets tons of play and it's a blast to watch fortunes rise and fall over the course of the event.

I hope this continues. It is definitely in my top few events of the year (alongside Mosconi Cup and US Open 9b, in no particular order).

DaWizard

For this fan, this is the perfect format. Only the very best players (at least, mostly) and quick short races which allows for a quite varied viewing experience--after about 30 maaybe 40 mins, it's on to the next match. Everyone plays everyone else so and therefore gets tons of play and it's a blast to watch fortunes rise and fall over the course of the event.

I hope this continues. It is definitely in my top few events of the year (alongside Mosconi Cup and US Open 9b, in no particular order).
Same here! And as some one else said: every rack matters in the end. That's a really nice feature.

My opinion remains that a new poolgame could only make pool go mainstream. A game that has Texas Holdem like features, or some "push your luck" mechanism that adds extra intensity to every shot.

But I love what they're doing to 9 ball. This is top notch.

jbart65

There have been some crazy bad shots in this tourney. Gorst and Ouschan played the worst match I have ever seen by two top pros. Both of them combined to miss 8-10 shots they almost always make. One rack in particular was especially bad.

Ouschan was so frustrated he would walk up to look at a shot without his stick. Nor did he follow his usual preshot routine.

Gorst played the worst rack, by far, I have ever seen from him.

It was contagious, I guess. Both played a lot better in their following matches.

Then there is Shaw. He got so frustrated, he just started firing the ball. One break and run took him about a minute. But then he went and missed a supereasy 8-ball. Worst shot I ever saw him miss.

On the other end of the spectrum ... SVB and Filler. They made hard shots look easy.