McDermott Defy vault plate cracked

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
34744E57-5FE8-47FA-8AEF-7F64EA0F00DA.jpeg
I have been playing with a Defy CF shaft, since April of this year. I noticed this weekend that the gray vault plate has cracked and actually chipped away. I’m not sold on continuing to use the Defy as my go to player but I am definitely going to get it fixed.

My question is, Is this a repair that I should, absolutely, send back to McDermott to have done? Or, can a reputable cue repair person do the job properly?

Edit. Added pic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it's under warranty, send it to McDermott. If you want it fixed locally, choose a better suited ferrule/vault plate material.
The Defy shafts are a pain to work on due to the painted, textured surface.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
KB, thanks for the advice. You mention a better material for the vault plate. Have you heard of problems like this, with their current material, or is my circumstance unique? To be honest, I prefer white and have heard McDermott only has the gray available. Which may be enough for me to pass on the warranty and have a local repair person do the job.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
KB, thanks for the advice. You mention a better material for the vault plate. Have you heard of problems like this, with their current material, or is my circumstance unique? To be honest, I prefer white and have heard McDermott only has the gray available. Which may be enough for me to pass on the warranty and have a local repair person do the job.

I would use phenolic, Aegis-II or Ivorine-4, sure it's a harder material and will alter feel and sound slightly, but cracking want be an issue, so it's a good trade off in my opinion. Tomahawk and Juma works too if you want a softer feel. I've repaired several Defy shafts. I generally like McDermott cues, they are well made and seems to hold up well, but the Defy shaft is not their best product..

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I recommend sending it back, this way you can sell at a later time as an original, complete shaft. I have only seen a ferrule failure on an Exceed shaft, no others as of yet

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I agree with Kim and Dave above.
My question is "Do you break with that shaft?" Or jump?
Just wondering how that chunk chipped off.
Gary

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I agree with Kim and Dave above.
My question is "Do you break with that shaft?" Or jump?
Just wondering how that chunk chipped off.
Gary

I did break with it.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
trim it off ... drill it .... plug it with Juma......... trim it to size........ put on a tip

Kim

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’m not sure what material is used for the Defy ferrule. After a short conversation with McDermott, they told me it was covered under warranty. I have used McDermott, to make voluntary repairs, before, so I am very confident I will get my shaft back just like new.