McDermott G Core vs PureX and other 'Low Deflection' Shafts

Robotron

Hi guys!

I was looking at buying a McDermott G Core cue, and did some research and found some info on forums saying it was not a 'proper' low deflection shaft (and that their i2/3 shafts were).

I assume this is because the carbon fibre insert is around 6 inches long, not the full shaft length???

If this is the case, then this would also mean that most of the 'low deflection' cues advertised, such as Champion, and even PureX are not low deflection either as their inserts are, like the G Core, only at the last 6 or so inches, not the full length of the shaft.

I'd welcome any thoughts on this!

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess the question you need to ask is what constitutes "low deflection." A Gcore shaft will be lower deflection than a maple but not has much as an I2/I3. Have you had the chance to hit either a GCore or I2/I3?

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
I guess the question you need to ask is what constitutes "low deflection." A Gcore shaft will be lower deflection than a maple but not has much as an I2/I3. Have you had the chance to hit either a GCore or I2/I3?
Agree...I have a standard maple and IPro shafts for my player while the wife's cue is Gcore. Hers plays MUCH more like my maple shaft than the IPro.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi guys!

I was looking at buying a McDermott G Core cue, and did some research and found some info on forums saying it was not a 'proper' low deflection shaft (and that their i2/3 shafts were).

I assume this is because the carbon fibre insert is around 6 inches long, not the full shaft length???

If this is the case, then this would also mean that most of the 'low deflection' cues advertised, such as Champion, and even PureX are not low deflection either as their inserts are, like the G Core, only at the last 6 or so inches, not the full length of the shaft.

I'd welcome any thoughts on this!

No it's not due to the carbon fiber insert, that really has nothing to do with it being LD or not. The PureX shafts have no inserts at all. 11.75mm PureX deflects about similar to the OB1 shafts with good hit feel. The thicker shafts are also LD but more of a "Lite" LD, over the table length they deflect about 2/3 of a ball off center. A standard shaft will miss the ball totally with side spin at the distance and speed I was testing things.

I don't think the G Core shaft is even advertised as low deflection. Nothing here about it being LD. In fact none of the McDermott shafts talk about low deflection which is a bit odd, just about "consistency".

Triple-Layer Carbon Fiber Core

The G-Core’s Triple-Layer Carbon Fiber Core extends through the first 7 inches of the shaft. This stabilizes the front-impact area of the shaft for increased control and predictability. This technology increases radial consistency, reduces vibration and limits the inconsistencies found in traditional maple shafts.

Last edited:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
"Low deflection" is not an absolute, but a relative term. McDermott G-core is not low deflection compared to Predator 314, OB-1, etc..It IS low deflection compared to a vintage McDermott standard shaft with a gigantic ferrule made from heavy plastic.

Low deflection is a refrerence to how far the cueball is pushed off line when using sidespin, and need have nothing to do with materials. The materials are just a means to an end, not the thing in itself. You can make a completely standard shaft low deflection by cutting down the ferrule, turning down the shaft, removing the ferrule etc.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where is Dr Dave when you need him? I'm sure he's in a phone booth changing into his superman outfit!

Expect the real answer scientifically supported shortly!

Robotron

Thanks for the input guys, and wholly agree that the term is absolutely a marketing term thrown around by various manufacturers trying to gain an upper hand. But was hoping there was a way to effectively get a gauge on how different they are. In the end I picked up a G Core Cue brand new for $220, which I think is a steal (normal price is $370, cheapest I could find online apart from the offer I had was $306). I could have got a cue with an I2 shaft for $335, but that is basically half as much again so had to pass to keep the budget down. Not been delivered yet, but hoping the G Core will be a good cue for an improving player :)

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the input guys, and wholly agree that the term is absolutely a marketing term thrown around by various manufacturers trying to gain an upper hand. But was hoping there was a way to effectively get a gauge on how different they are. In the end I picked up a G Core Cue brand new for $220, which I think is a steal (normal price is $370, cheapest I could find online apart from the offer I had was $306). I could have got a cue with an I2 shaft for $335, but that is basically half as much again so had to pass to keep the budget down. Not been delivered yet, but hoping the G Core will be a good cue for an improving player :)
GCore plays good. A little less deflection than solid maple, still feels/sounds ok. Like any shaft you'll have a learning curve and then you're good.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
My McDermott Cue of the Year came with the iPro shaft (which I like) but I had them build a straight maple shaft also with matching rings. It serves my game fine too (been playing maple shafts for 40 years). So the G Core will be fine, you'll like it, don't buy the hype as it relates to how good or bad your stroke is today or will be in the near future.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
GCore plays good. A little less deflection than solid maple, still feels/sounds ok. Like any shaft you'll have a learning curve and then you're good.

I actually like the shafts on their Star and Lucky cues more than the G Core shafts, they are not as stiff felling.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got Mcdermott G core shaft and it deflects more than my 20 year old Bear solid maple shaft so low deflection term is total bullshit on those shafts.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
I got Mcdermott G core shaft and it deflects more than my 20 year old Bear solid maple shaft so low deflection term is total bullshit on those shafts.
That's why no one is claiming it is. From another post:

I don't think the G Core shaft is even advertised as low deflection. Nothing here about it being LD. In fact none of the McDermott shafts talk about low deflection which is a bit odd, just about "consistency".

The G-Core’s Triple-Layer Carbon Fiber Core extends through the first 7 inches of the shaft. This stabilizes the front-impact area of the shaft for increased control and predictability. This technology increases radial consistency, reduces vibration and limits the inconsistencies found in traditional maple shafts.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's why no one is claiming it is. From another post:

It was when i bought it!
They changed it later... Probably because it was not what they said.