Mezz Cue ZZ-36

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mezz cues fit and finish destroys most other cues except for maybe top custom makers that sell plain jane cues for over a thousand and anything with inlay over 2k. You can buy a plain jane mezz ec9 or 7 for around 500$ and it will be basically flawless

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have two mezz that I recently bought brand new. Neither has a flaw. Except for maybe a tiny needle tip blemish in the clear. That aren't even visible unless you look in certain light at a perfect angle....and have good eyes or magnification .....and mezz Exceed line of cues....set a standard that most cue makes that sell 5k cues dream about....from what I've seen

BigFish23

Registered
The UPS guy just came by. After a few racks, color me impressed.

The cue feels very balanced. I think part of it is due to the joint, which is not stainless steel. It's the only cue I play with regularly that doesn't have an SS joint. Well, I have a PureX for banging around at the bar, but that doesn't really count.

This cue hits solid. There's no other way to describe it. The taper is slightly stronger than what I'm used to on the 314 (original). But not cumbersome. I mostly use a closed bridge and have smaller or medium hands/fingers. I can feel the taper grow, but it doesn't affect my follow through.

Cue is 19oz, but feels lighter. Balance point is 19.5". 0.840" at joint, 1.25" at butt.

The only thing that I don't like right off is the wrap. It's wound tight and waxed or something. It feels almost like nylon. I used to have a Huebler a long time ago that had a nylon wrap. This reminds me of that feeling. If I keep it, I'll likely have it re-wrapped.

My Kikel is also very tight wrap and almost feels like silk in the hands. Very smooth, but not nylon-y (if that's a word). One of my Schons has a very tight wrap, but again, feels more like cotton thread than nylon, and the other Schon has a slightly wider diameter Irish linen thread, so it feels more cord wound.

But, getting back to the hit. Very solid, good feedback, nice vibration damping, and good sound. This is my first time with a WX700 shaft, so it could be mostly due to the shaft. I may try the shaft on a Schon, but I've read that you will mushroom the plastic insert in the shaft and then it won't fit on the Mezz butt as tight. So, maybe I won't do that.

As for aiming and such, I tried some thin cuts and long cuts with inside draw, and they all reacted close to what I'm used to. So no adjustments were needed.

I can't really judge action after 15-20 shots. However, the draw is not as immediate as with my 314. But the tip is new, I'm not really stroking the same, and the sample size is pretty small.

I need to get several hours in to see how cue ball control is compared to my 314, but after 15-20 balls, I'm really stoked. I was thinking I'd try it and return if I didn't like, but I have a feeling that this one will find it's way to the top of the play cycle.

Attachments

• IMG_2133 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2133 (resized).jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 559
Last edited:

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO, Mezz are made as well or better than any production cue and much better than many custom cues.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO, Mezz are made as well or better than any production cue and much better than many custom cues.
After owning a couple i'd probably never consider a different cue. I don't know of any other maker that offers more for the $$, especially in that $5-600 range.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ordered this cue, the Mezz ZZ-36. Getting it from Manning Cues. Along with a 3x5 case and some spots.

Hope it has a nice hit. Heath says it has the Kamui Tan Original Soft tip. If i dont like the tip i can have it changed over to a Pressed Elkmaster.

r/DCP

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love my Mezz PB Kai. The playing shaft? Not so much. But I did want to try the ignite shaft too.

edwu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mezz makes one of the best production cues in my opinion. Fit and finish has always been top notch. Mezz cues tend to have a stiffer shaft taper which I feel allows for more energy transfer. I have tested the Ignite and really enjoyed the powerful crisp hit. While some of their production models may look "boring", they offer a wide variety of designs. I personally own the Mezz MI-3 (Mika Immonen Model) and I think it's a stunning cue with the ebony, turquoise and paua shells.

Here is the Mezz Ignite review I did awhile back for those interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ4m-sejzC4&t=20s

Last edited:

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I ordered this cue, the Mezz ZZ-36. Getting it from Manning Cues. Along with a 3x5 case and some spots.

Hope it has a nice hit. Heath says it has the Kamui Tan Original Soft tip. If i dont like the tip i can have it changed over to a Pressed Elkmaster.

r/DCP

Damn, I just saw a sick tulipwood and Ebony Mezz cue with ignite shaft for like 930. I didn't snag it because I don't like linen wraps so ended up with an all wood Exceed to try out the Ignite Shaft.

I've heard nothing but great things about Heath. Hopefully I'll have my Exceed on Friday but don't know when I'll get to try it as next week will be 1 year since I hit a ball.

kenz54

Registered
mezz zz36

The Mezz zz36 is my daily playing cue. It looks beautiful and plays great. I can not speak for anyone else but I really like it.

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Put me down for Mezz also, I have had Lucasi and Schon cues. I prefer my wrapless EC-7. The others are good but the Mezz seems just bit better, IMO..

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mine is due to arrive on Monday, August 3rd. I should be able to get some playing time in with it unless it arrives LATE in the afternoon.

I'll let everyone know what I think.

r/DCP

kenz54

Registered
mezz zz36

In addition to the wx700 shaft, I also have the ignite, the expo and the sigma shafts for it.

kenz54

Registered
Mezz zz36

In addition to the wx700 shaft, I also have the ignite, the expro and the sigma shafts. All great shafts.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mine is due to arrive on Monday, August 3rd. I should be able to get some playing time in with it unless it arrives LATE in the afternoon.

I'll let everyone know what I think.

r/DCP

The Mezz cue arrived early this morning. UPS delivered at 8:54. Never had UPS deliver that early. Its all good though.

Very nice cue, has a good hit. The original Kamui Soft tan tip also is a surprise to me.

So far this cue gets high marks. At this point not sure if I will keep the Kamui tip or have a Pressed Elkmaster installed.

r/DCP

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess it really doesnt do a guy alot of good to buy a new cue if he never gets a chance to use it. I am growing weary of this bad breaking Gold Crown IV. If it dont get better once the new cloth is installed in the next 7-10 days it might very well be time to pull the trigger on a new Diamond Professional.

r/DCP