Mezz screw in extension

perspicaz

o-^-*-^-o
Silver Member
I currently play with a Joss cue and I am not very tall so I always found the Mezz extension system quite interesting ( http://www.mezzcues.us/technology/extension/index.html ) . I was wondering if such bumper would fit the joss or if the standard joss bumper ( http://www.lakesidebilliardsupply.com/josscuebumper.jpg ) could be modified to accept a similar screw in extension or, maybe, a different bumper be made from scratch.

Do you think this is viable? Does it affect a lot the balance of the cue when the extension is not screwed in?

chuckpilegis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I took out the weight bolt and put in a uniloc insert , modified the bumper.
Installed the pin in a cutoff fiberglass fishing rod for about a 15 inch extention.

cueext002.jpg

cueext004.jpg

cueext005.jpg

fiolledapool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not take this option,You are changing cue weight and hit, my first option would be to buy a longer shaft 30, 31 or 32 inches. You can contact with Dan Janes (dan@josscues.com) and he will built longer shaft for you.

its a pleasure speak with someone from Spain in this forum. if you need help please contact me.

Last edited:

Monto P2

Asia Billiards
Silver Member
I fixed the mezz bumper with ardalite in the butt of my cue and it works perfect for me.But it removes the option of changing the weight of the cue.

Other option is to get an insert fit like someone said in an earlier post.Actually the weight might balance out as u would be taking out the weight bolt and putting in the insert.

You can ask a cuemaker to build a new cue for you with extension.There are any cuemakers on this forum who would do it for a very reasonable price.

Good luck in your search:thumbup:

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you could also get a third party extension that fits on any cue. i like the longoni one

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On Bartrams cue extension I merely inserted a 10X24 stud into the extension and drilled and tapped a short aluminum weight bolt to accommodate this stud. I used a South West style bumper that I drilled a small hole through for the stud to pass through. On the reverse side of the bumper I counter bored and installed a short piece of aluminum tubing so that the stud would easily pass through. I then bored the front of the extension so that it just fit over the bumper. I trimmed the stud so that it only needed a couple of twists to pull the extension solidly against the bottom of the butt plate. With the aluminum bushing acting as a guide for the stud, the extension can easily be mounted with little fussing around trying to align anything and the bumper is never disturbed. In this way, the original weight system is not disturbed so that the cues weight can be changed if needed.

Dick

perspicaz

o-^-*-^-o
Silver Member
I like your extension ideas... but I just wanted to exchange the bumper to one that could accept the mezz one or something similar.

Regarding balance/weight if the new bumper's weight is kept within reason (e.g 0.5oz) I could compensate with the joss adjustable weight system. I don't think, imho, that having a longer shaft is a good idea, first because it will be whippier and second because it doesn't increase length much (2 or 3inch at maximum).

I would love if someone manufactured a mezz style screw in minibutt for common bumpers/cue brands.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
As is human nature, you're going to want what you want until you realize that you don't.
If a built-in extension was such a great option, every leading cue manufacturer would be offering it. There's a reason they don't.
I will answer this with a question.
Do you want to upset the finely tuned balance of the cue and it's playability for the 1 in 15 shots that you'll need this extension?
Use the bridge and keep your cue intact.

Now for the sacrilege; would you consider this extension for a SouthWest?

perspicaz

o-^-*-^-o
Silver Member
KJ, I understand and respect what you are saying but I am not sure if we are talking about the same thing: I dont refer to a "built in" extension as in Jeanette Lee's jacoby cue that is always on as part of the cue and you unscrew the butt to extend it, I mean a screw in extension like in snooker mini butts. It is not on all the time... only that shot in 20 when you screw it on.

Also, it requires no damaging or alteration of the cue just a bumper that has a female thread to accept the male one in the extension. You could always return to the original bumper and the cue would be in original condition. This extension is commonly used by players such as Mika Immonen or Marcus Chamat.

Maybe you mean that this modified bumper would be really overweight, but being only rubber I tend to think it would be close to the original bumper (0.2~0.4oz). Unfortunately, I don't have the weight for mezz's bumper. I can compensate for small weight differences in the bumpers by using a different weight bolt, if necessary.

I don't have a southwest either ;) but I don't think exchanging a bumper would be sacrilegeous since it is not a permanent modification; similar to using a different shaft.

I just want to try it to see if it helps in certain shots... if not I can always return to the original joss bumper. The main problem seems to be that mezz's bumper thread is not the same as joss' bumper thread so it won't fit straight away (or at least that is what j&j told me).

Does this make more sense? :eek:

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
OK, my bad. I should have checked-out the Mezz link for a better understanding of what you were wanting. My last recollection of the Mezz extension was a built-in unit (at least I thought it was Mezz).

An instant on, instant off unit is probably no different than the PVC tubes or the wooden one. Tony Ryan maybe???

Depending on the age of your Joss, because they used two different bumpers and corresponding wght. bolt systems, you could leave the screw-in bumper off and use the threads meant for the wght. bolt to attach your ext.
It wouldn't be the first time a cue has gone without a bumper.

You were very considerate in your response to my error.
I appreciate the European temperament.
Thank You Sir.

perspicaz

o-^-*-^-o
Silver Member
Hey KJ, not sure if I am the correct representation of any kind of temperament but... :D Your input is always valuable ;)

Actually, I hadn't thought about these slip on extensions... are they good and stable and safe for the cue?

Maybe I should get a tony ryan and try it out, one advantage is that it works with all kinds of cues... hopefully it fits in my case somehow.

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
seyberts has a strap on case for the tony ryan. also look at the longoni extension, i really like the gripping mechanism on that one. i also see people just using a bungee cord to strap them to their cases.